Carpenter, Joiner, Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 'when I was young' separate trades in England, but one trade in Scotland. Bills of Quantities were written that way.
As for builders.....no such trade as that. Seems a lot of Joiners call themselves carpenter and joiner up here ...blame Yellow Pages. Of course, 'when I was young' they were also undertakers. Hence joiners and undertakers. There you are. Best wishes to all and no insult to those who know what they are doing.
Ps Like the one about the boat builder.

In the modern world I don't think there is any difference between Carpenters, Joiners or woodworkers. They all work with either Chipboard or MDF. Sometimes woodworkers use both.

Yes. Pattern makers were a totally different team No mistakes there and they could think the wrong way round...not always easy.

I can think backwards; or was that 'He is backward?' :mrgreen:

I can read and write in 'mirror writing', backwards and upside down. All remnants of a service career, where you needed to read what your oppo had written on the other side of the radar-plot screen! Also, learned to read across the CO's desk, so I could see what he'd written about me!

I still have a habit of slipping into 'gnalskcab' from when I worked for a spell near the 'tekram-taem'.

(hammer)

Back