Careful who you let teach you (table saws again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working last week for a customer who's husband went out a brought a sawbench ( don't know from where) assembled it
and only after 10 minutes of use took off one finger and severed the tendons in his thumb.
Eight months off work with no driving.
He had no training, no guarding and no push sticks, he's not even a wood worker.
Its so easy to go out and buy a machine that can do a lot of damage without any training, apart from viewing something
on youtube.

Working last week for a customer who's husband went out a brought a sawbench ( don't know from where) assembled it
and only after 10 minutes of use took off one finger and severed the tendons in his thumb.
He had no training, no guarding and no push sticks, he's not even a wood worker.
Its so easy to go out and buy a machine that can do a lot of damage without any training, apart from viewing something
on youtube.

Crikey, that's a scary thought!
There are some good safety videos on youtube about how to use a table saw. But there are also lots of people on youtube who use their saw without a blade guard.

Crikey, that's a scary thought!
There are some good safety videos on youtube about how to use a table saw. But there are also lots of people on youtube who use their saw without a blade guard.
A decent bit of advice would be to read the HSE guidance and treat that as your reference, anything else if for amusement value only.

How about facial injuries from chainsaws for beginners. You just need to be over 18 to be able to walk away with a 125cc saw with a three foot bar.

They produce quite distinctive injuries, as they remove material and don't just cut.

I won't post any pictures, as it might put you off your dinner.

Youtube is awash with chainsaw users in shorts and t shirts, even woodworkers like Ashley Harwood don't protect their ankles and partial foot amputations are a common one.

Last edited:
It seems churlish to pile on further, but look at the chatter/tear out on the edge of the base when he's cleaning up his mortice with the router plane.

If it looks like that now, is going to look 10 times worse with finish applied.

How about facial injuries from chainsaws for beginners. You just need to be over 18 to be able to walk away with a 125cc saw with a three foot bar.

They produce quite distinctive injuries, as they remove material and don't just cut.

I won't post any pictures, as it might put you off your dinner.

Youtube is awash with chainsaw users in shorts and t shirts, even woodworkers like Ashley Harwood don't protect their ankles and partial foot amputations are a common one.
I’ll raise you… people mowing the lawn wearing flip-flops, I’ll never forget the guy in the chronic wound clinic who’d had an accident a decade ago, still waiting for it to heal

on youtube.

I bought my first table saw a couple of years back, I can't believe they don't come with push blocks or at the very least a push stick.

I bought my first table saw a couple of years back, I can't believe they don't come with push blocks or at the very least a push stick.
It shouldn't have come with a push block (in the UK, at least) - those stupid things are dangerous. As to no push sticks, even my crummy deWalt DW745 site saw came with a push stick

I’ll raise you… people mowing the lawn wearing flip-flops, I’ll never forget the guy in the chronic wound clinic who’d had an accident a decade ago, still waiting for it to heal

Perhaps all lawn mowers should come with a pair of safety boots.

It is for people to do their own research about the things they choose to buy.

Maybe 21ish years ago I finished my apprenticeship and started doing jobs. I did a decking job for an older chap. A month later i saw him at the doctors, he was all bandaged up...... he liked my chopsaw, so went and bought one for cutting firewood. It cost him 2 fingers

even my crummy deWalt DW745

😲 what dont you like? Ive got one about 18 months old. Apart from the noise i think its a good site saw. I built a knock down table for mine which extends the table surface and with the saw screwed down its pretty good. But my god, the noise

A month later i saw him at the doctors, he was all bandaged up...... he liked my chopsaw, so went and bought one for cutting firewood. It cost him 2 fingers
From a posting elsewhere on the 'net last year:
How Not to Use a Chop Saw.jpg

Spot the deliberate(?) error. Guy complained that he was struggling to cut the diagonals for a ledged and braced gate on his chop saw. He does own a cordless circular saw as well...

😲 what dont you like? Ive got one about 18 months old. Apart from the noise i think its a good site saw. I built a knock down table for mine which extends the table surface and with the saw screwed down its pretty good. But my god, the noise
Other than the noise and the fact that it needs a good clean power supply that isn't being shared with anyone else, nothing at all actually. I was just trying to point out that even a relatively low-cost piece of kit should come with a push stick. Mine's about 5-1/2 years old and has been good value other than the need to rebuild the fence locking linkage (twice to date - but that's down to ripping-down loads of larger timbers far too often). Having it on the mobile base makes it a doddle to move around site if/when needs be. I still wish it had an induction motor like the old Elu flip-over saws, though

Last edited:
Yep actually, mine is a good way to test the electrics!
How much did the fence linkage cost??
I really like the rack and pinion setup. But annoyingly the dust does get in those runners a lot

Back