Careful who you let teach you (table saws again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I thought we all might be a being a bit, you know, overly critical, so I made my wife watch the first part.

Her reaction was "Arg! He put his hand in the machine??!! (wince)" (2.15 in the first video...)

So even a civilian can spot the poor safety...phew, we're good, people!

I can't give you a number. But I can tell within very few posts if a new contributor here generally knows what they're talking about with something useful or helpful to pass on somewhere within this broad subject field to those who are seemingly (to me anyway) relatively inexperienced and want to learn.

As to where I think I might have developed enough standing, if that's the right term, to be able to make such a statement as that above, I'd put that down to massive and unwarranted self belief, ha, ha. Slainte.
Slainte

And the saga continues....

Nice safe bandsaw usage (not!) and then back to the exposed blade on the circular saw (and as a lowly carpenter why is it that people insist on using sleds when a miter saw is safer?) At least he isn't climb cutting with the router. I often wondered why you needed a chisel plane when a bullnose plane or a chisel might do the job - I still do. Still, he has lots of nice tools. If he were a DIYer I wouldn't snipe as much, but he projects himself as a professional woodworker which sets the bar somewhat higher, I'd have thought. We have a saying for this in construction, "all the gear and no idea"
Width of the piece being cut. Mitre saw does not extend far enough. Some people don't have a mitre saw station or even a mitre saw. Radial Arm saws are considered the devil. There are many tools that do a similar job but generally we use the tools we have.

Yes that bandsaw was just looking to take his thumb off, a moments inattention and it’s gone.
And then his actual woodworking isn’t that good either, he was sinking a square piece of ash into the round base so he drew round it with a sharp knife and then proceeded to put his chisel into the cut line, predictably this made the hole too big, always does if you don’t creep up to the line, would have been a much better idea to have formed a large square tenon on the end of the upright. You have to think of peoples viewpoint, looking down at that joint from a height any gap is much less noticeable with a shoulder. And again he planes his wood in the vice, his planing action just isn’t good, he’s just not getting any feedback from the wood which would help train him how to hold his plane. Ian

And the irony is because of us his videos are getting more views than ever so he's probably thinking people are loving what he is doing?

No such thing as bad publicity :unsure:

Who's the 1 who may have died? (sad news)
Sorry I was being a bitFacetious, just trying to show that who knows who has standing. In all honesty there are some very good people on here who can do it and do it safely.
I think Richard has a high reputation and is qualified to comment as he has.

Right. I agree that people would need standing to comment on actual woodworking.

I would argue that basic unsafe practices such as using an unguarded table saw... well anyone can point that out :D

I'm interested in how we'd establish who is fit to comment. First we'd need to decide who is fit to deem anyone else fit.

Also we need to decide what topics require what level of fitness, from guards on machines through to dovetail angles and on to aesthetics.

I look forward to that debate, and plan on interjecting unhelpfully whenever I think it might be funny, assuming I'm deemed fit to post in the discussion. :)

5, maybe 4, I don't like 2 of those and the other one is a bit of a ...... so 1 and he may have died
@doctor Bob I hope not, I was hoping to maybe be able to invite him to come on a trip to capital crispen this year and advise on getting some veneers in exchange for a nice dinner in the big town. 😘🕯

Last edited:
I'm interested in how we'd establish who is fit to comment. First we'd need to decide who is fit to deem anyone else fit.

Also we need to decide what topics require what level of fitness, from guards on machines through to dovetail angles and on to aesthetics.

I look forward to that debate, and plan on interjecting unhelpfully whenever I think it might be funny, assuming I'm deemed fit to post in the discussion. :)
I heard a rumour that somm'it the like was going on in the neo loony leave yer coat outside thread and aparrently you were the main topic or was it that it's a marathon disscussion but you are in the lead
:unsure:

I do wonder at times if, you join the loony tunes thread - does it automatically block all the bad things people have said about you in there before you joined, just so no one gets a flashy bang type parcel for SS? :unsure:

Part two now out for anyone interested

Ash standing lamp build part Two. - YouTube
Hmmm - not the greatest woodworking video I have ever seen - no commentary at all, and no explanation in the text about the processes - so of little use to a beginner.
I don't like to be critical, but I didn't understand why he sanded the top of the base before cutting the mortise rather than after (and agree the tenon did need shoulders). Why cut the cable groove on the underside across the grain (rather than along the grain) making it more difficult to clean up using a chisel plane? Drilling holes with a large forstner bit usually better done in a pillar drill in high quality work? Bandsaw blade guides should have been down.

Hmmm - not the greatest woodworking video I have ever seen - no commentary at all, and no explanation in the text about the processes - so of little use to a beginner.

The internet has now been demonstrated (from the beginning where there was appreciation and lack of commentary (freddy, this isn't any critique of your post - I like it because if someone will tell me something that they're doing and they're experienced, I want to know what they're thinking. It's not usually what we're thinking they may be thinking). So at the start of this thread, we find favor because the guy doesn't talk, and probably not just you and I sat on that thinking, I sure wish he'd give us at least some brief talk about the objective else it's just entertainment more or less. And we end at you, and now me agreeing with you.

The more I want to know about something, the more I'd like to hear from the presenter, even if I can't digest all of what they're showing in one sitting - I'll come back and review and repeat. I think before the internet, we all did that - it was on us a little bit more to stimulate our own brains, and not just on someone to entertain us.

In this case, though, I sense from another video that autoplayed, the guy is finding out that he needs to add a social media component to the business to make it viable. Like a million other folks struggling, he's turned from looking at customers to finding someone else who might want to do what he's doing. But drawing those people in is more about making them feel a certain way.

Sort of like why most of my resentment for Paul Seller's schtick is that the underlying theme is that you can maybe have the carrot that you could learn from him to be a woodworker and make money at it.

What he doesn't tell you is that he doesn't really know that - his expertise is at drawing in beginners - that's his business. If he were making things and living the lifestyle that he sort of floats out there like a tent revival preacher, we wouldn't have heard of him - his customers would.

I do wonder at times if, you join the loony tunes thread - does it automatically block all the bad things people have said about you in there before you joined, just so no one gets a flashy bang type parcel for SS? :unsure:
I like to think that the chaps in the loony forum sing my praises and are telling each other that Bobby knew best. Of course outside of the loony forum they will never admit it, probably the opposite.

Back