Careful who you let teach you (table saws again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Separately - this guy doesn't look like he curated the video to show him zipping a few pieces through machinery and looking like a guy who did it 1000 times either. But, I'll bet a lot of the guys making videos like that have set up each little bit and vainly taken out every single thing they do that doesn't make them look like Babe Ruth of the woodworking world.

Props to the guy for putting it up. What we're anticipating is more important than any of it (supposing he doesn't get hurt). What will he make, is it well made and does it please the eyes and function......

....from another guy (with far different ultimate goals, though) who just posts working without taking out anything.

(I still wear one, but not many power tools and not much work inside of cars where I could touch something live)

For me it was hooking it on things and feeling the finger was going to be ripped off.

Way before I was married back in the 70's when I was in the merchant navy, was warned of the dangers of rings and handling steel wire rope. When I married I never bothered with a ring for this reason - people do ask me about it sometimes. If you need to know why, google finger degloving injuries, but only if you have a strong stomach.

For me it was hooking it on things and feeling the finger was going to be ripped off.

That's my thought, and I won't make a definitive statement about no such thing existing here. Because I do still have grinders and a drill press, and a hang on the wall saw.

I have met someone who claims to have been lit up by a watch or ring on a car battery or wiring (long ago enough that I don't remember which, but being a big chicken, if I'm doing something under a hood, I take metal things off of my hands and wrists.

The video has gone..... removed by uploader. I missed it!
I’m sorry to hear that, apart from a couple of health and safety issues I’m sure he does a good job promoting our hobby and getting people proficient in it. I suppose the problem is that as soon as you put a video up, (or even photos on here (as I found out trying to show anybody how to do something) you do get judged. I actually do wish him all the best for the future. He’s still young and learning himself, but he really should go on a machine training course before he injures himself. Ian

... apart from a couple of health and safety issues...
I must belong to the Nanny State, then, because I counted more than a few lapses - I gave up at 12 and that wasn't the end of the video. But I'm also a site First Aider, so I've dealt with the results of ignorance, corner-cutting and gung-ho behaviour far too many times to be blase about safety

Last edited:
I must belong to the Nanny State, then, because I counted more than a few lapses - in fact I gave up at 12 and that wasn't the end of the video.
I’m sure you’re right, and as I said he needs to go on a course, but give him a chance he’s young and he is trying to help get people started.
Ps Victor Meldrew never belonged to the nanny state! - " don’t get me started "

I’m sorry to hear that, apart from a couple of health and safety issues I’m sure he does a good job promoting our hobby and getting people proficient in it. I suppose the problem is that as soon as you put a video up, (or even photos on here (as I found out trying to show anybody how to do something) you do get judged. I actually do wish him all the best for the future. He’s still young and learning himself, but he really should go on a machine training course before he injures himself. Ian

The problem is that when someone states

“We are small independently owned fine furniture shop in Hertfordshire. Our main goal is to design and create beautifully functional pieces that will last a life time. We want to show people that there is beauty in the simplicity of furniture.” Www.bearsworkshop.co.uk

it does tend to invite judgment of your output, be that your furniture or videos.

I very rarely watch woodworking videos with the exception of Rebuilding Tally ho! As a D&T technician i had to do 5 yearly Design & technology assoc training courses on all machines we had in the workshop, Circ saw, Bandsaw, planer thicknesser, bench drill, grinder, heat processes, wood lathe, metal lathe, milling machine, mortiser then possibly welding as well.
When i started in 96 metal lathe alone was a two day course. Just before i retired all of this lot including hand power tools was skimmed over in just two days & consisted of everyone standing round each machine & ticking a box to show you had heard the trainer say "this is the on off switch, this is the emergency stop, this bit with teeth can chop off your fingers" etc. There was no time for any skills training or practice. What this meant was that guys like me who had spent years in woodworking or engineering trades were fine but newbies got a bit of paper to say they were competent. This meant very often they were completely out of their depth often dangerously so. But they gots a bit of paper so someones ass is covered!

This meant very often they were completely out of their depth often dangerously so. But they gots a bit of paper so someones ass is covered!
Sounds a lot like the guys we get coming to us these days. "Do you know how to use xxxxx?", "Yes" - then half an hour later you find them doing something stupid like pulling a router towards themselves (i.e. climb cutting). Some days....

I’m sure you’re right, and as I said he needs to go on a course, but give him a chance he’s young and he is trying to help get people started.

He's charging £550 for a one day course, in that one day he claims he will teach you all about wood and it's characteristics, how to use hand tools (Japanese and Western), how to use machinery (including Table saw and Planer thicknesser) and you will make a table using what you have learnt! All in one day :dunno:

I think you would be as well watching a few random Youtube videos as that is where he has obviously learnt his craft.

Just had a quick look at the Peter Sefton Furniture School as a comparison, he charges £720 for a 5 day course, I know which one I would choose.

There was no time for any skills training or practice. What this meant was that guys like me who had spent years in woodworking or engineering trades were fine but newbies got a bit of paper to say they were competent. This meant very often they were completely out of their depth often dangerously so. But they gots a bit of paper so someones ass is covered!

An acquaintance, a brilliant lifelong builder was approached and offered a lecturing job at the local college. He said he couldn't as he didn't have any qualifications. The chap told him that didn't matter as they would ensure he got the teaching qualifications. He replied he wasn't talking about teaching qualifications, he was talking about building qualifications. What? None? No, he replied, none. You must have safety training tickets etc. surely? No, he said, I've never had a qualification in my life.

I had a change of job in the same place. One day a chap I worked with previously came and said he had a problem he couldn't trace, and could I help. I went and found the problem, and when I got back the person I was working with asked if had any qualifications to do my previous job. No, I said, apart from being very good at it, why do you ask? Oh, he said, I just wondered - I suspected you didn't have any qualifications and the chap whose problem you solved is an NVQ assessor.

Last edited:
@Phil Pascoe Not saying I am a brilliant lifelong builder, but that does sound a bit like me. The only "tickets" I have date back to my merchant navy career that ended in 1982. Since then "university of life" and "self-education" all the way. I'm glad I'm nearing the end of my working career though because it's becoming harder and harder without those bits of paper.

He's charging £550 for a one day course, in that one day he claims he will teach you all about wood and it's characteristics, how to use hand tools (Japanese and Western), how to use machinery (including Table saw and Planer thicknesser) and you will make a table using what you have learnt! All in one day :dunno:
So are you saying that when i was going to college to do wood machining they were diddling me? :mad:

Back