Careful who you let teach you (table saws again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, probably not the best advert and he’s going to lose the end of his thumb using his Planer the way he does at about 11 minutes 20. What really surprised me was how ham-fisted he was with a hand plane fairly early on in the vid, he had an action that was a result of always putting wood in the vice to plane it, he wasn’t getting any feedback.

Ah I didn't notice him using his planer guard incorrectly. Good spot.

Planing with a very expensive Bridge City Tools plane as well!

Yes, probably not the best advert and he’s going to lose the end of his thumb using his Planer the way he does at about 11 minutes 20. What really surprised me was how ham-fisted he was with a hand plane fairly early on in the vid.

Lol, I was just linking the video at the right time as an example of how not to use a planer, he does look awkward using it and pushing the stock with the thumb dangling down the back is a definite no.

I don't think I will start the debate on wearing rings in a workshop :unsure:

Should start at the right point for how not to use a planer.

I don't think I will start the debate on wearing rings in a workshop :unsure:

Took mine off years ago, decided after a few close calls, my finger was more important than an upset wife for a few days. Not seen the wedding ring for years......... it'll turn up one day.

Took mine off years ago, decided after a few close calls, my finger was more important than an upset wife for a few days. Not seen the wedding ring for years......... it'll turn up one day.

My wife responded to this action by removing hers as well. :unsure: :dunno:

Not long after I was married, I jumped down from a lorry and found myself hanging by my wedding ring.

Luckily my toes were just touching the ground, so apart from a little bruising I was ok. I took it off as soon as the swelling went down, Her indoors was not happy but I like my fingers.

The one thing that gets me about these videos is the wasted time.

We are all very busy and there's more info available than could be absorbed in 10 lifetimes.

I watched one the other day where a guy sat and faffed around for almost 2 mins before he got started. Would it have improved the vid had he edited that out? I think so.

Do we need to watch a table saw blade turning for x seconds while the star fetches a piece of wood?

Do we need to see him cut 36 pieces exactly the same, etc, etc.

My attention span is getting so short I find myself moving on unless it's something that I have deliberately sought out.

Having worked in electrical for many years I am well and truly in the habit of not wearing anything like rings or watches.

Do we need to watch a table saw blade turning for x seconds while the star fetches a piece of wood?
That is why I find so many videos hard to watch, some are so silly and show you the machine being turned on and then a big pause, many use fifty words to say something that could have been said in far fewer and others just promotional but I find you need to look around the person and see what else is of interest in the background and then research anything of interest.

Not long after I was married, I jumped down from a lorry and found myself hanging by my wedding ring.

Luckily my toes were just touching the ground, so apart from a little bruising I was ok. I took it off as soon as the swelling went down, Her indoors was not happy but I like my fingers.

We are all very busy and there's more info available than could be absorbed in 10 lifetimes.

I watched one the other day where a guy sat and faffed around for almost 2 mins before he got started. Would it have improved the vid had he edited that out? I think so.

My attention span is getting so short I find myself moving on unless it's something that I have deliberately sought out.
Yes absolutely right, at least this guy shut up! In fact I don’t think he said much at all, a lot of them particularly Americans just waffle on and on and on.

All videos are watched at the maximum 2x speed until it gets to the good part. Also the double tap which skips ahead 10 seconds is useful. 4 quick taps in succession is a nice 40 second jump.

Can't really watch anything at single speed anymore. Takes too long.

I’m the same. So much waffle and needless preamble. I’ve taken to hitting don’t recommend channel if the promised content has not arrived in the first 30 seconds. As you say there is more information available than you could watch in a lifetime.

I cut the back of my wedding rings and filed the ends round and smooth. I have lost a couple catching them on things, but I still have the finger.
Mine fell off while on "honeymoon" in Nepal should never have replaced it....! 🤣🤣🤣

Yes absolutely right, at least this guy shut up! In fact I don’t think he said much at all, a lot of them particularly Americans just waffle on and on and on.

Absolutely! He let his work do the talking; the elegant beauty of human toil, symphonies of man, master of his craft, master of the tools and so the material, the sound track…

I agree with you Artie.
This is what sorts the wheat from the chaff, in terms of video watchability.

At 19 I worked with a crane driver who when working as a banksman for another driver held a bundle of steel while signalling the driver to wind it up quickly as it was in danger of swinging into something. The bundles used to be tied with binding wire that was probably three or four mm diameter. As the driver wound the load up the end of a tie lifted my mate skywards by the wedding ring, ripping his finger out at the joint. That's why I never wore a ring that wasn't split.

Last edited:

There must be an emoji of a guy waving as there are hundreds of them, but i can't find it.

A couple of guys I used to work with seemed to think that if they went to the bar, there was something there that would catch their ring and take their fingers off, too.

(I still wear one, but not many power tools and not much work inside of cars where I could touch something live)

Yes, probably not the best advert and he’s going to lose the end of his thumb using his Planer the way he does at about 11 minutes 20. What really surprised me was how ham-fisted he was with a hand plane fairly early on in the vid, he had an action that was a result of always putting wood in the vice to plane it, he wasn’t getting any feedback.

He does have one of those Beetlejuice skeleton planes, though. But the action through the wood was pretty harsh. We could all talk about how he's a bit deliberate and inefficient, but he may be good at finding customers who don't care, and having never seen him before, we'll see what he makes of the wood.

Back