• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Careful who you let teach you (table saws again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
Working last week for a customer who's husband went out a brought a sawbench ( don't know from where) assembled it
and only after 10 minutes of use took off one finger and severed the tendons in his thumb.
Eight months off work with no driving.
He had no training, no guarding and no push sticks, he's not even a wood worker.
Its so easy to go out and buy a machine that can do a lot of damage without any training, apart from viewing something
on youtube.

Allen Quay

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Working last week for a customer who's husband went out a brought a sawbench ( don't know from where) assembled it
and only after 10 minutes of use took off one finger and severed the tendons in his thumb.
He had no training, no guarding and no push sticks, he's not even a wood worker.
Its so easy to go out and buy a machine that can do a lot of damage without any training, apart from viewing something
on youtube.
Crikey, that's a scary thought!
There are some good safety videos on youtube about how to use a table saw. But there are also lots of people on youtube who use their saw without a blade guard.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Crikey, that's a scary thought!
There are some good safety videos on youtube about how to use a table saw. But there are also lots of people on youtube who use their saw without a blade guard.
A decent bit of advice would be to read the HSE guidance and treat that as your reference, anything else if for amusement value only.

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
How about facial injuries from chainsaws for beginners. You just need to be over 18 to be able to walk away with a 125cc saw with a three foot bar.

They produce quite distinctive injuries, as they remove material and don't just cut.

I won't post any pictures, as it might put you off your dinner.

Youtube is awash with chainsaw users in shorts and t shirts, even woodworkers like Ashley Harwood don't protect their ankles and partial foot amputations are a common one.

Last edited:

Setch

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems churlish to pile on further, but look at the chatter/tear out on the edge of the base when he's cleaning up his mortice with the router plane.

If it looks like that now, is going to look 10 times worse with finish applied.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
How about facial injuries from chainsaws for beginners. You just need to be over 18 to be able to walk away with a 125cc saw with a three foot bar.

They produce quite distinctive injuries, as they remove material and don't just cut.

I won't post any pictures, as it might put you off your dinner.

Youtube is awash with chainsaw users in shorts and t shirts, even woodworkers like Ashley Harwood don't protect their ankles and partial foot amputations are a common one.
I’ll raise you… people mowing the lawn wearing flip-flops, I’ll never forget the guy in the chronic wound clinic who’d had an accident a decade ago, still waiting for it to heal

JBD007

Established Member
Reaction score
on youtube.
I bought my first table saw a couple of years back, I can't believe they don't come with push blocks or at the very least a push stick.