Career change. Where to start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well dont try selling bikinis this year at the seaside. :wink:

I solved my problem at age 32, I retired and then purchased a taxi license and then got some selling agencies, which I worked in tandem, the taxi was the fall back.

I guess things are different these days, Australia was good around ten years ago but the exchange rate has killed that if you want to use your property equity.

Two of my nephews work for themselves as IT Consultants - they seem to make a good living?

DW - my B in law who has lived in Oz for 40yrs says "it's going down the pan!"
And he is self employed and still making a good living.

Most places are suffering?

Rod

I was Branch manager for 3 different national companies in succession over a number of years and I hated every minute!

OK, the salary, expenses, car etc. gave us the lifestyle we wanted but at a cost. I worked very long hours, saw little of the kids growing up and was always stressed. Looking back, the price was a bit high I think.

I always wanted to work for myself but the more you have to gamble, the harder the decision and I guess in the end I was too cautious, until my last company went bust and the opportunity was thrust on me. That was 15 years ago and and the best thing that could have happened to me. Granted I worked even longer hours at times, earned a lot less at first and couldn't replace the prestige car for a while but the pressure was different and the stress melted away. Despite the problems, I've never been happier.

That said, it isn't something to enter lightly and my advice would be research, research and plan and prepare it properly. Work out the worst scenarios possible and how to avoid them then expect the best and work to that. Additionally, monitor and analyse the business continually against your targets. A business can easily fail due to the owner being too busy to keep his eye on the ball.

An aquaintance a few years ago was doing very well pushing out a couple of kitchens a month at a decent return when he got the chance of a contract with a builder. He cut his margins, took on 2 guys and worked 6 days a week. Over a 12 month period his private work almost disappeared. He didn't realise he was making virtually nothing and when the builders started taking 3 months credit he went under. It broke his spirit and he never recovered.

I learned a very long time ago to concentrate on quality work at the right price to reliable customers and to walk away if it doesn't feel right. I get paid on time, make a good living and nowadays work a 3-4 day week though it helps when the other half has a decent job :wink:

As far as OZ / NZ is concerned. I have a brother in Sydney, left a position as production director of a very successful company in the UK. he found it challenging for a few years but his life/work balance is fantastic and there is absolutely no way he will come back.
We visit both countries and I wish I'd made the jump when I had the opportunity.

Appologies for the essay - got nowt better to do this afternoon :roll:

Bob

My position is slightly different, I dont really mind the work (that much) but I detest the place I work in and people I work for.

Moving to a different firm isnt much of an option, less income would be a major problem at the moment - theres not a whole lot of work around and too many places doing it. A big change is needed, being stuck in an office all day would drive me crazy, back to retail? not enough money unless your high up in management.

So after a week off (at home but still a week off) its back to the craphole tommorrow....

:duno:

There is a vacancy for an assistant to the gynaecologist down here in the Devon area, but you will need to go to Bristol re the interview.

Thats to join the end of the queue.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

In the current financial climate you are in a good position, you have a job, many don't, so don't do anything rash.

There must be something about your current position that is good? Try to focus on the good not the bad.

Is there any opportunity for changing what is bad about your job? Is there a gym nearby where you can get away during your lunch time? Make sure when you can get away you do. Every hour or so get up from your desk and take a short break.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but sometimes it is just a case of mental attitude, after all some people work a production line and do that every day, it could be worse.

Is you dissatisfaction just your work, are there other things in your life you are not happy with? Can these things be changed?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to be helpful. Reappraise where you stand before jumping to the other side. The grass is not always greener there.

Good luck

Mick

I had have 3 jobs since leaving school, served an apprenticeship as a PSV fitter, left that when I 'served' my time, worked nearly 5 years in a hospital laundry then finally got the career I wanted and for 24 years was proud to be a fireman, however the back pain got increasing worse, until one day I had to seek help from my doctor. I have a few problems with my spine, although I have had one operation I will never be fit enough to work again.

I miss my job and if I was given a second chance I would not change anything, I am a lot worse off than some and not as bad as others, as has already been said, "the grass is not always greener", accept what you have, there are a lot of people out there that would love a job in IT.

Stew

flanajb":2nonb6pi said:
One of the main problems I seem to be facing is a confidence one. Working in front office IT means you work with very smart people who have massive egos. At the age of 40, I don't having anything to prove and can't be bothered with any of that.

You get "twits" no matter where you work and no matter what you do. Some aren't even smart - just twits.

The problem with IT programming is that the industry never stops evolving. The technologies you used 5 years ago to write a software application will be different to what you would use now. Most people in IT seem to what to use new stuff just for the sake of it. If the same happened in woodworking, you would be replacing your machinery every 2-3 years for some other stuff. So if you don't live and breathe programming, then it is easy to become a bit of a dinosaur :-(

Whilst the nuances of the languages may evolve - there hasn't been anything hugely revolutionary in the last 5-10yrs. Just the additional functionality (slowly) that's been added.

Ideally, a job that enabled me to be out and about meeting people would be one I would like. Sitting at the same desk 9 hours a day 5 days a week has lost its appeal.

If you can think of a role that would suit a Java programmer with 14 years experience that enables me to be out and about meeting people then answers on a postcard.

Thanks

Consultancy\Pre-Sales sounds like it may fit the bill. But you would be changing one set of headaches for another. "Billable" days is all you hear about with these types of roles and the pressure to meet or exceed can make telesales look easy.

As a Programmer, I'm a little suprised you are even interfacing with end-users (unless in a small shop). I would usually expect BA's to take that headache and you to code from functional specs. Then again - I've been here almost 5yrs & never seen a functional spec! :roll:

Dibs

As a Java developer with 12 years under my belt I can understand where you are coming from when you say you're feed up with the technologies changing every 5 years. I mostly work on the JEE side of things which, as you probably know, has seen huge changes recently.

A few years ago I realized that my skills had got rather out of date and I had to sit down and have a long hard think about whether I wanted to stay in software development or move into another area that doesn't change so fast. I decided to update my skills and I now think that for me that was the correct choice despite it being a lot of hard work. I've got a real kick out of learning new technologies and finding out how things work (most recently JavaFX for example).

For the last four years I've been a part owner of the business I work for, were a small team working with some big and demanding companies. At times work can be really stressful; I've just finished a 12 hour day and I'm about to start reading a book on configuring a Cisco ASA box which I'm really not looking forward. As the companies resident geek I get all the IT problems whether I know anything about them or not! A week from now though I might be banging out the code for a new feature for our main application which is enjoyable and a month from now I could be out talking to a new client (fingers crossed).

All in all I wouldn't change it for the world but life in a small company is hard now. There are basically no perks other than a warm feeling inside that you chose to work a 14 hour day rather then we coerced into working it by your evil boss.

wobblycogs":1glruh1p said:
As a Java developer with 12 years under my belt I can understand where you are coming from when you say you're feed up with the technologies changing every 5 years. I mostly work on the JEE side of things which, as you probably know, has seen huge changes recently.

A few years ago I realized that my skills had got rather out of date and I had to sit down and have a long hard think about whether I wanted to stay in software development or move into another area that doesn't change so fast. I decided to update my skills and I now think that for me that was the correct choice despite it being a lot of hard work. I've got a real kick out of learning new technologies and finding out how things work (most recently JavaFX for example).

For the last four years I've been a part owner of the business I work for, were a small team working with some big and demanding companies. At times work can be really stressful; I've just finished a 12 hour day and I'm about to start reading a book on configuring a Cisco ASA box which I'm really not looking forward. As the companies resident geek I get all the IT problems whether I know anything about them or not! A week from now though I might be banging out the code for a new feature for our main application which is enjoyable and a month from now I could be out talking to a new client (fingers crossed).

All in all I wouldn't change it for the world but life in a small company is hard now. There are basically no perks other than a warm feeling inside that you chose to work a 14 hour day rather then we coerced into working it by your evil boss.
Working on such a large team I am lucky that I don't have the demands of 12 hour days and very rarely do more than 9 hours :oops: and I can take leave at a days notice. I have made a decision that when I do leave IT it certainly will not be to go and work for another employer and will have to be something for myself. As to what that something is? Goodness knows!

Back