Card scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It's taken me years to get to grips with a card scraper and now I have I'm delighted with it....for about 30 seconds before my thumbs start burning with the heat build up from the friction. Am I still doing something wrong or does everyone have the same problem? I know I could wear gloves or something, but in all the you tube videos I've seen of people using card scrapers I've never once seen anyone wearing protection against the heat! It is quite a thick Lie Nielsen card scraper by the way.

I sharpen both edges and flip it over every few strokes. This seems to help.

Scraper holder? It takes my thumbs a week to recover if I don’t use one, but this is from trying to keep the thing bent.

I hadn't thought much about it before as I rarely use them, but I don't suppose there's any reason why you shouldn't stick a bit of rubber or leather to them where the thumbs rest. A little contact adhesive or double sided tape would work - if it peeled, just stick it back again. :idea:

I have the Veritas and Record scraper holders but prefer to work without them as I feel I have more control (and can bend them!) I'll just have to get more calluses and man up!! Or stop every few seconds to let it cool down!!

It may not be sharp enough Froggy. However I use the scraper quite a bit and it does warm up a bit even when sharp, just enough to be uncomfortable but not warranting a trip to A&E. You have to suffer a bit for your craft :)

Chris

How many burs should one prepare at one time? Or in other words is it ok to roll a bur on both sides of either edge?
G

Yes, it is normal practice to make 4 cutting edges on a cabinet scraper, you can make the sides of the scraper sharp too
if you like, but I have never done that.
Tom

I’m sure you can get little leather sleeves for your thumbs / fingers for use with cabinet scraping sessions. Workshop Heaven used to stock them iirc.

S

Card scrapers, literally the simplest tool that I have, it only has one part for God sake. Can't use one, doesn't work in my hands bought several obviously they are faulty, because they don't work.

Latest posts

Back