Carboot Sept 09

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

It was packed but slim pickings tool wise.
DSC_0001.jpg

The 3 Record G cramps and the saw £4
DSC_0001.jpg

The Engineers clamp and the Trend corner chisel £2 the Peltor Optime 3s £3
DSC_0002.jpg

The Spear and Jackson saw was 50p it needs retoothing.
DSC_0005.jpg

Pete

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1,731
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,748
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,751
Hi Pete

Looks pretty reasonable to me.
Those Record G cramps should clean up a treat and the small tenon saw (or is it a dovetail saw?) looks like it has a decent handle which probably indicates a reasonable quality tool. Who's the saw maker, may I ask?

Nice one Pete. I particularly like the toolmaker's clamp. I am trying to collect engineering bits now I have the milling machine but would you believe it...they all disappeared since!

I wiped out my entire budget on two items...one of these for Annie....

DeereJS61.jpg

I got it from a guy I see there regularly..he wanted £30 but gave me a discount so I got it for a score!!!

He hadn't tested it recently so he didn't ask much..the blade needs a sharpen (done!)...and the cut out cable had snapped (new inner tomorrow at the bike shop!). But it started first time! It's a John Deere JS61 mulcher....built like a tank (as is everything American...

It's not quite in that condition...but not bad at all...I have it in bits now to service it...but will take picture tomorrow.

The fiver left I spent on some steel toecap trainers...a blinkin' bargain!

There wasn't one tool to be had...really strange....strange year all round really...mostly because of the weather.

Jim

Hi,

Evergreen

The saw is by W Kaye & Son of Nottingham, so it hasn't traveled far! its a rip saw a bit cows and calfs so in need of a tickle up, but better than the other one, the teeth have all rusted away at the handle end.

I removed the cement (not had that on a clamp before) and rust from the clamps and thet look very nice now, loverly ACME threads.

Jim

Cracking price on the mower, I find if you go looking for something you never find it, I didn't want any more saws!

Pete

AndyT":2oobt6ck said:
You old romantic Jim!

Annie is the "TERMINATOR" of powered garden equipment,,,,she likes nothing better than whizzing around the garden with copious horsepower decimating the flora and the occasional fauna! :mrgreen:

Quick question guys....what are your best recommendations for a bespoke V belt supplier? I forgot to say...the drive belt is missing for the power drive...I need a 39 1/16" by 3/8"...don'tcha just lurve our colonial friends!!!

Jim

Hi Jim
Nothing to be had plane wise for me this weekend apart from an Eclipse SF70? coping saw minus one screw clamp for 50p.
Granted i was on home turf and not at my caravan and usual haunts around Lytham/Blackpool, Christmas decorations seemed to be filtering in #-o

Steve

Hi, Toby

I was going to look up Kaye today thanks for that, it is a nice saw, 3 split nuts on such a small saw mark of quality.
I will have to get on with cleaning and sharpening it.

Pete

Racers":v1a85i91 said:

Pete

file.php

That's a bit more shaping in the handle than is usual for a modern S&J - some kind of "transitional" tool, or user intervention, do you think?

BugBear

phil.p":1ggwm7vp said:
:) The mower hadn't been tried, probably because it had only just been stolen. :)

I'll let the seller know Phil....he shouldn't have any problem checking...he's a Police firearms officer! :mrgreen:

He got it as a job lot at auction...untested....didn't have any need for it. :wink:

Jim

Hi, BB

It looks old-ish and untouched, it has the reinforcing bolt/screw through the handle, if that helps dating it.

Pete

QMC on the other saw stands for Queens Medical Centre the big hospital in Nottingham, might be difficult to sterilise :shock: :shock: :shock:

We got there yesterday for the first time since festival season and my favourite two sellers were there. So I got this lot from John's Junk:

DSCN0772s.jpg

Stanley (England) #5; really sturdy - seems oldish, yet to look it up. A I.Sorby vice, small but VERY well made and the first I've seen and another angle - on - a stick. Useful one as the wing nut does not protrude past the sides to snag on anything.

And from Stefan:

DSCN0775s.jpg

Must be the season for toolmakers' clamps Pete - he had a few. 6" Carborundum stone hardly used and coarser than my other one. Swiss tweezers for micro splinter removal, a knife edge Swiss file and a Sheffield depth gauge.

bugbear":17yrwrs1 said:
Racers":17yrwrs1 said:

Pete

file.php

That's a bit more shaping in the handle than is usual for a modern S&J - some kind of "transitional" tool, or user intervention, do you think?

BugBear

I don't think I've seen one exactly like that one either. That style of handle doesn't usually have a "v" notch in the front of the "fingers hole"

Look at these. http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?op...=showthread.php&t=111&highlight=Spear+Jackson

Toby

Racers":2kkc3n5q said:
Hi, BB

It looks old-ish and untouched, it has the reinforcing bolt/screw through the handle, if that helps dating it.

Pete

QMC on the other saw stands for Queens Medical Centre the big hospital in Nottingham, might be difficult to sterilise :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought they had a wooden dowel through the handle?

Toby

First for me for a few weeks too, but worth a wander through a muddy field...

A week of screwdrivers, an un-named small perfect pattern, a William Marples London pattern turnscrew and an Eclipse no. 171 centre punch

056.jpg

Star buy this week though, a North Brothers Yankee no.30 (no spring).

028-1.jpg

Dates from between 1900 and 1906 with brass barrel and locking ring. Lovely.

030-1.jpg

Lovely set of kit there Ellis. I've yet to see an Eclipse centre punch. And a Lie Nielsen rule?? Beware the American inch ... they're bigger.

Jim: I know; it's nice innit? Though you'd think when arranging a casting he could have managed a "J" ...?

DSCN0773s.jpg

Back