Carbide tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Streeting

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a question here a while back about carbide tips for home made turning tools.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/techwestsolut ... 4340.l2562

I have purchased some from this source and these are similar to a well known brand. With length of square steel and these tips you can have some very low cost carbide turning tools suitable for roughing, spindle work and bowl turning. The round tip is also suited to hollowing and end grain cutting, square and radiused squares should also be good I would think for boxes but I haven't tried them on end grain yet.

All these tips require cutting to be undertaken square on to centreline and are very effective. They all offer an aggressive or very fine cut. I have also been making and playing with carbides as small as 6mm dia., these work very well on spindle turning and may also work on small scale end grain projects.

Philip

Thanks, useful info. Do you know anything about the carbide grade as compared to other tips sold for woodturning?

Terry

Back