Carbide tipped woodturning irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonn

Established Member
Reaction score
Some years ago I was considering carbide tipped wood turning tools, but when I saw the price, I balked. However, after a bit of research I found that RCGT inserts for cutting aluminium on metal lathes was plenty sharp enough for wood. And then I found that real savings could be had buying these directly via Aliexpress. For the local price of 2 here in Norway, I would get a pack of 10 from China, about same quality. If you can get hold of the 10 or 12 mm rods, square of round, you just have to get a metal lathe and ditto milling machine, and start production. And you'll have perfectly good ones for 2 or 3 quids. I've made quite a few for mates, but as the business genius I am, I end up just charging what I have paid for the materials. But I enjoy making them, including turning the handles, so the money is secondary. Bit of a wally, according to my sister, but so be it 🧙‍♂️

Attachments

• nye-dreiejern-wb.jpg
    nye-dreiejern-wb.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 26
  • RCGT HM head 1.jpg
    RCGT HM head 1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Nytt dreiejern.jpg
    Nytt dreiejern.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 23
It's well worth doing and very satisfying :)

Made mine with just a grinding wheel and pro edge, drill and a tap for threading. I made up different shafts for different shaped cutters and scrapers and just swap them over in the hollow handle when needed.

good for you Jonn.......
u'll always have friends with gift's like that.....
plan to make a few for myself....will be turning big root balls.....
gotta be better than HSS in that job.....

good for you Jonn.......
u'll always have friends with gift's like that.....
plan to make a few for myself....will be turning big root balls.....
gotta be better than HSS in that job.....

Carbide or 10v, or just a very fast sharpening routine 10v tools will be low toughness and may be more apt to break, though. But they'll have some abrasion resistance to dirt.

Tormek has a nifty little tool for grinding carbide bits which came as a bonus with the Tormek SVD-186. I never bothered to check how Tormek intended its use as I just put it in my metal lathe chuck and used a diamond whetstone handheld. Works a treat, and the inserts are sharp as ever again. Wondered what the hole, the threaded hole in the thick end, and the circlip were for as I never read the instructions, as real men never do 🕺🕺🕺🕺

Attachments

• Tormek-3.jpg
    Tormek-3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1
  • tormek-4.jpg
    tormek-4.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back