Carbide question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does anyone have a good contact for cheap carbide inserts? Much appreciated if so, cheers

Because copper melts around 1000c and tungsten carbide at 2900c, even the cobalt binder at 1500c.

Brazing isn’t welding, it’s an adhesive process, there’s no melting of the parent material. Even a diffusion weld would need to be up above 50% of the melt temperature at least and require the correct surface preparation and a lot of pressure for a protracted period. You can weld carbides by laser and electron beam to steel of certain grades and invar, MIG and TIG have also been demonstrated as well as friction welds.

Brazing remains the most common method, but it’s not a weld.

Understand what you're saying, and fully aware of high MP of WC, but I think Tanglefoot's practical experience is relevant - maybe there's a 'braze-adhesion effect' at the tip or spot temperatures generated by friction are higher than expected and I don't know the curve, but of course alloy MP (eg Cu-Co) can be lower than one or both metals.

'Any road' - enuff theorising d, it's a practical solution that we're after - maybe my fault for distracting from the issue, just an interested bystander who's not doing any serious copper turning in the near future.

Last edited:
I would go along with the idea that galling is the problem. Carbide likes to work hard to be effective, you won't be achieving that. For pretty much any soft material including plastics you will get much better results with a really sharp hss tool. Have you looked at your "blunt" tool under a loupe or similar, I'm betting you will find the tip is not clean but has a build up of material on it. This masks the cutting edge, making the tool appear blunt. Aluminium is notorious for this, but easily solved using paraffin as a lubricant, this prevents the material sticking to the tool. Never machined copper so no idea what lubricant would be appropriate, and the resin is another issue, your lubricant would need to be compatible with that. You could maybe try a thin vegetable oil, fairly innocuous stuff which shouldn't react with your resin. Just a few drops from time to time as necessary.

I am unable to respond as I can’t be sure that the words you have used have any meaning
The words that I use seldom have any meaning.

St Francis is attributed with "Preach the Gospel at all times; use words if necessary". He didn't say (or write) that but the sentiment is his. I'm sorry that I sometimes find it necessary to use words...

Last edited:
Hi Adam,
The discussions about brazing/welding has lost me, but Turners Retreat sells carbide tips that will fit most brands (including Easy Wood) ,at prices about half of the cost of the branded varieties. They are made by AZ Carbide.
I bought a couple recently, but, as I haven’t used them yet, I can’t comment on how good they are. But they do seem very sharp.
Worth a try.
D

Hi Adam,
The discussions about brazing/welding has lost me, but Turners Retreat sells carbide tips that will fit most brands (including Easy Wood) ,at prices about half of the cost of the branded varieties. They are made by AZ Carbide.
I bought a couple recently, but, as I haven’t used them yet, I can’t comment on how good they are. But they do seem very sharp.
Worth a try.
D
Nice one, to the retreat i shall retreat

Hi Adam,
Worth a try.
D
Just took a peek ... Holy cow... expensive as!! 13 quid for one diamond cutter !! I'm off to China....... thanks anyway....

Hi Adam,
Compared, for example, to the £15.99 for an EasyWood square cutter, I think £7.99 is not outrageous. There are, it is true , carbide cutters listed on Amazon for as little as £5.99 for a set of 5. These will be, as you suspect, Chinese in origin. They may also not fit your tools. If they do, then they might be worth using for dealing with your copper inlay. How long they will last is another question.
As my old grandpappy used to say, ‘ Buy cheap, buy twice’. ( Spit... kerching’)
Good luck with it anyway.
D

Latest posts

Back