Carbide Cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes these carbide tool inserts are quite a revelation when first used, I have made up my own tool holders with heavier square stock (increased rigidity) than used by the Ci1 and they do most of my rough shaping and bulk hollowing.
Not had to replace an insert yet, although one of them has received a freshen up of the edges by a quick polish of the top surface on a diamond plate.

I have made my own as well, 15mm x 10mm bar about 18in with a long handle 2 straight tools and 1 with a 45 degree bend for undercutting.

If anyone knows where I can get a round cutter from I would be grateful.

chrisbaker42":1q7ulfmn said:
....If anyone knows where I can get a round cutter from I would be grateful.

Well they are always available from easy Wood Tools by cost and shipping is way over the top.

I thought I had solved the problem some time ago when I bought some very cheap sandvik inserts on ebay but of course they need sharpening and I have no means of sharpening carbide.

Thanks for the info Chas but you are certainly right about the price being prohibitive which is why I was so pleased with the one in my link.

Thanks Aled, yes I am quite local to you I even had several nephews that attended your school. They certainly look very similar to the one I bought, how sharp are they? If they are anything like the one I have they will be razer sharp and really do cut through wood like nothing I have seen before.

I'm not sure how sharp they are, I've literally only just ordered them, it was your post that reminded me about these cutters. I believe that they're the cutters used in spindle moulder tooling as spur cutters, so they should be pretty sharp. I've had my eye on the Easy Wood Tools for a while but found then way too expensive for my liking, I just hope that his supplier manages to source the round cutters as well.

Cheers
Aled

When they arrive can you let me know if they are sharp along the length of each edge as well as the tips if so I may get some as well.

As a complete "plonker" regarding steels and sharpening same, :oops: :oops: Can someone tell me what is the different methods for Carbide and HSS.
I suspect the Honeing method may have something to do with it ? #-o

Sintered Tungsten Carbide is a much harder material than HSS.

You need a Silicon Carbide 'Green' Grinding Wheel or stone to work it or a more modern alternate such as diamond coated or cubic boron nitride (CBN) wheel.

For the tool tips being discussed, they can be sharpened most effectively by honing the top surface on a flat diamond coated card or plate, only a few passes are required to get back the razor edge (as long as you have not chipped them of course by hitting something nasty)

But even using them on really abusive natural edge stock the edges are likely to be cutting well days, weeks, or even months down the line in the average hobby shop.

Not only that but you will be charged £8 by parcel force for collecting the duty!

I have found a supplier of the round cutters in the US which might be cheaper. I'm waiting for them to let me know how much the shipping costs would be. Once I know, I will try to figure out a price including shipping, import duty etc. and if it works out, I'm happy to put in a collective order, which would offset the delivery costs for everyone.

I got an answer on the delivery charges and based on me ordering 10 circular 10mm carbide cutters with mounting screw the price works out to around £13.00 each for a cutter with screw after import duty etc. They also do 8mm and 12mm circular cutters so if anyone is interested, let me know.

I have also had news from the place I bought mine from, he is evaluating some round cutters and will be contacting me sometime this month. I'll pass on any more information when I get it.

Paul, I'll take one if you put in an order (might even take two, I'll think it over). I'm thinking that these cutters could quite easily be attached to my Roly Munro tool just by making a small front "link" to take the cutter. ( One flat and one at 45degrees for shear scraping???)

I had a reply back from Appleby woodturning stating that they didn't stock any round cutters, but that they had the screws for the square cutters that I linked to above. I'll report back on these cutters when I manage to test them out.

Cheers
Aled

Hi I bought a box of 10 round 12mm carboloy cutters £9.50 off a guy on the bay (timw8675) he often lists them but if theres none on you can contact him from there.

Hi Dink,
Are these cutters flat on top or do they have a raised cutting ring like the ones on the Monro, Hunter tools etc. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back