Carbide Cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
12345Peter":19e30tsq said:
I am not a traditionalist as I have only recently started turning, I was advised by many turners to stay away from carbide chisels as they need sharpening more often than HSS, I have no idea if that is true, but none of the turners recommended carbide so I took their advice. I have learnt to sharpen my HSS tools and it is not a black art as far as I am aware.

Peter i think you may be confusing Carbide with Carbon Steel.

Older wood turning tools were made of High Carbon Steel, nothing wrong with them and for some things folks prefer to use them, in fact most pole lathe turners will be using Carbon Steel tools.

High Speed Steel tools are a relatively recent innovation in wood turning terms and are far superior at keeping their edge, they are or were the workhorses of metal turning also.

Carbide Tools are in the main made in the form of sintered cutting bits formed under extreme pressure in molds, although some can be obtained in solid shank form.
They are much harder, will withstand considerable pressure and hold a good edge, they are also far more brittle than HSS and can easily be chipped if not handled correctly, in metal turning they do not like interrupted loads and will fail if misused this way.

OldWood":31ojxmu2 said:
I would like to think that the Moderator here - Noel - would have passed this posting by the other moderators; I suspect he hasn't as anyone with a sense of reasonableness and common sense would have said 'bin it'.

This is an asinine, pompous and inaccurate criticism of a posting from a member who is commercially investigating a technology which is relatively new to wood turners and correspondingly is of significant interest. The very fact that the thread has gone to 4 pages indicates such.

I would suggest for a start that Noel actually reads his comments to Chris1965 and reads carefully his quoted regulation 8.4. Nowhere does the regulation say that a commercial interest cannot 'jump into existing threads' - that actually would be totally counter to any assistance that comes from commercial contributors who do, if my memory is correct, quite frequently suggest one of their products.

This posting should never have been made, and certainly not in public view as it certainly makes moderation look foolish. If I was Chris 1965 I would walk away from this website immediately, as other have I believe due to heavy handed management postings; I hope Chris won't as he clearly has something of value for us all.

Rob

You miss my point. You also presume rather too much. But no worries, thanks for your POV.
If you've any further views on me, the moderating team, management, rules etc you're more than welcome to post in the appropriate board.

Noel":xp9g4li0 said:
OldWood":xp9g4li0 said:
I would like to think that the Moderator here - Noel - would have passed this posting by the other moderators; I suspect he hasn't as anyone with a sense of reasonableness and common sense would have said 'bin it'.

This is an asinine, pompous and inaccurate criticism of a posting from a member who is commercially investigating a technology which is relatively new to wood turners and correspondingly is of significant interest. The very fact that the thread has gone to 4 pages indicates such.

I would suggest for a start that Noel actually reads his comments to Chris1965 and reads carefully his quoted regulation 8.4. Nowhere does the regulation say that a commercial interest cannot 'jump into existing threads' - that actually would be totally counter to any assistance that comes from commercial contributors who do, if my memory is correct, quite frequently suggest one of their products.

This posting should never have been made, and certainly not in public view as it certainly makes moderation look foolish. If I was Chris 1965 I would walk away from this website immediately, as other have I believe due to heavy handed management postings; I hope Chris won't as he clearly has something of value for us all.

Rob

You miss my point. You also presume rather too much. But no worries, thanks for your POV.
If you've any further views on me, the moderating team, management, rules etc you're more than welcome to post in the appropriate board.

And your point is .. what ?

And my presumption is ... what ?

And here we have another error - I made no comments on the moderating team, management or the rules. I am criticising you, and I will do it on the board where you post is and not one where no one else will read it, for poor handling of a new member who considers he has something positive to add to the activity of wood turning. This is an amateur organisation and he approached a grey line of a RULE, and my god, didn't you half come down heavily on him. Shame on you for pouring cold water on someone who is developing new techniques and quite probably requiring all the support he can get.

I would ask to clarify what 'your point' is, and also what I am meant to have presumed. If indeed I am in error, then I will happily apologise to you on this board, but I am of the opinion that you should look to withdrawing your post on the matter and giving an apology to Chris 1965.

Rob

OldWood":rar1dg1d said:
I would ask to clarify what 'your point' is, and also what I am meant to have presumed. If indeed I am in error, then I will happily apologise to you on this board, but I am of the opinion that you should look to withdrawing your post on the matter and giving an apology to Chris 1965.

Rob
Rob, seeing as you are intent on a public challenge of moderating/moderators may I point out that you do not know what has been discussed by the forum admin and moderators, you are challenging a moderator about the management of the forum without as far as I can tell any personal knowledge of the facts behind the case.

You appear to have totally missed the point which is that people who have a commercial interest in a subject or product that they advise on or share an opinion on have the decency to add a suitable disclosure to their signature and where appropriate ask for a rating in their profile so that members can view any postings with the informed knowledge of where such advise or views is/are coming from.

That is all that has been asked of a new member, who within a few posts stated that they had such and interest, but when questioned by a longer term member saw no reason why they should declare it.

If it is still not clear what is considered acceptable and honest in respect of this aspect of forum membership then please take the time to look at This Members profile and signature which leaves no one in any doubt about commercial interests.

A similar declaration is all that has been requested.

CHJ":4k5fgdf3 said:
12345Peter":4k5fgdf3 said:
I am not a traditionalist as I have only recently started turning, I was advised by many turners to stay away from carbide chisels as they need sharpening more often than HSS, I have no idea if that is true, but none of the turners recommended carbide so I took their advice. I have learnt to sharpen my HSS tools and it is not a black art as far as I am aware.

Peter i think you may be confusing Carbide with Carbon Steel.

Older wood turning tools were made of High Carbon Steel, nothing wrong with them and for some things folks prefer to use them, in fact most pole lathe turners will be using Carbon Steel tools.

High Speed Steel tools are a relatively recent innovation in wood turning terms and are far superior at keeping their edge, they are or were the workhorses of metal turning also.

Carbide Tools are in the main made in the form of sintered cutting bits formed under extreme pressure in molds, although some can be obtained in solid shank form.
They are much harder, will withstand considerable pressure and hold a good edge, they are also far more brittle than HSS and can easily be chipped if not handled correctly, in metal turning they do not like interrupted loads and will fail if misused this way.

You have hit the nail on the head, I was confusing it with carbon steel. Thanks for spotting my mistake, it sure isn't the first I have made. I look forward to hearing more about these carbide tools chris was talking about.

Thanks again.

CHJ":25pzek7q said:
OldWood":25pzek7q said:

Rob
Rob, seeing as you are intent on a public challenge of moderating/moderators may I point out that you do not know what has been discussed by the forum admin and moderators, you are challenging a moderator about the management of the forum without as far as I can tell any personal knowledge of the facts behind the case.

You appear to have totally missed the point which is that people who have a commercial interest in a subject or product that they advise on or share an opinion on have the decency to add a suitable disclosure to their signature and where appropriate ask for a rating in their profile so that members can view any postings with the informed knowledge of where such advise or views is/are coming from.

That is all that has been asked of a new member, who within a few posts stated that they had such and interest, but when questioned by a longer term member saw no reason why they should declare it.

If it is still not clear what is considered acceptable and honest in respect of this aspect of forum membership then please take the time to look at This Members profile and signature which leaves no one in any doubt about commercial interests.

A similar declaration is all that has been requested.

Chas
I'm taking this out of public view and will PM you.

Rob

12345Peter":339bykv0 said:
.You have hit the nail on the head, I was confusing it with carbon steel. Thanks for spotting my mistake, it sure isn't the first I have made. I look forward to hearing more about these carbide tools chris was talking about.

Thanks again.
Nothing particularly new about the carbide tips for wood turning, the main problem as far as supply is concerned is the actual specification of the alloy and form of the tips for wood turning having a much smaller market than those for metal turning and therefore end up in a price ramp associated with lower product quantities.

I've been using some since Mid 2008 in a homemade holder.

They are good for the type of task shown in that link.

The The easy pen turner is just a smaller version of the tips I use.

Regarding the video linked to above demonstrating its ability to go straight in on an acrylic blank or wood is all well and good but may not be applicable to all acrylics and woods.

As far as indicating to someone new to turning that this is an acceptable method of approaching a square blank to true it up I consider it very misleading, it would be far better for a new turner to be taught how to blend in a cut towards the end of a piece as would be normal practice with a spindle gouge and would avoid the inevitable broken blank or flying missile when they try the same approach with something that is less forgiving or a blunting tip.

CHJ":1p4nlb5w said:
Nothing particularly new about the carbide tips for wood turning, the main problem as far as supply is concerned is the actual specification of the alloy and form of the tips for wood turning having a much smaller market than those for metal turning and therefore end up in a price ramp associated with lower product quantities.

I've been using some since Mid 2008 in a homemade holder.

They are good for the type of task shown in that link.

The The easy pen turner is just a smaller version of the tips I use.

Regarding the video linked to above demonstrating its ability to go straight in on an acrylic blank or wood is all well and good but may not be applicable to all acrylics and woods.

As far as indicating to someone new to turning that this is an acceptable method of approaching a square blank to true it up I consider it very misleading, it would be far better for a new turner to be taught how to blend in a cut towards the end of a piece as would be normal practice with a spindle gouge and would avoid the inevitable broken blank or flying missile when they try the same approach with something that is less forgiving or a blunting tip.

Thanks for the links, I will start looking at these carbide tips/cutters and see if I can see any in use at demos.

Well it is nice to see that there is as much conflict in this forum as many others i have visited, i think personally it gives the forums character as to how the moderators deal with people bending or breaking the rules.
I have received a few carbide tips and have a Robert Sorby tool that i am using to mount them to.
Having not had experience with hss chisels all i can say is that the carbide tips do everything i need them to do so far. There is a learning curve like with everything, i am learning to use less force and take my time, cut down a slope not up it and the advise on cutting at faster speeds really helped a lot as i have been taking in a lot of advise to use the lathe at slower speeds, and the finish i am getting be it on wood or acrylic is really nice.I still have not got around to doing a bowl but have been given a lovely piece of maple to experiment with.
Thanks to those giving advise and i will try to give a little back to the forum by posting some pictures of what i have created and maybe talking about the problems i have come across when turning.
I really am loving using the lathe a lot , i just wish i had more time for it.
Any more tips on using the carbide tip would be much appreciated.

I am a very new member, and a fairly new turner. I have recently been researching carbide cutters; particularly those made with the new "nanograin" carbide. I have a couple of carbide-tipped tools, and have had good success with them. My continued research brought me to this thread. It appears that for a brief while, you all had a very knowledgeable individual participating in the discussion of this topic. Unfortunately, it appears that he has been run off by the moderators. I'll continue my search. Hopefully I will come across a similar discussion on another forum; one in which "Chris1965" is welcome to participate.

jnesmith":21n01d3f said:
I am a very new member, and a fairly new turner. I have recently been researching carbide cutters; particularly those made with the new "nanograin" carbide. I have a couple of carbide-tipped tools, and have had good success with them. My continued research brought me to this thread. It appears that for a brief while, you all had a very knowledgeable individual participating in the discussion of this topic. Unfortunately, it appears that he has been run off by the moderators. I'll continue my search. Hopefully I will come across a similar discussion on another forum; one in which "Chris1965" is welcome to participate.

It's quite easy to avoid being "run off" if you don't have an attitude problem or an agenda :roll:

"people who have a commercial interest in a subject or product that they advise on or share an opinion on have the decency to add a suitable disclosure to their signature and where appropriate ask for a rating in their profile so that members can view any postings with the informed knowledge of where such advise or views is/are coming from."

Hardly unreasonable or contentious, is it ?

Cheers, Paul

jnesmith":1k717wwa said:

Interesting that four months after this matter was discussed, someone from outside - and further someone from another country - in reviewing the thread makes the assessment that "Chris1965" was unreasonably handled by the moderators.

I believe that there is another UK based forum that parallels this one and contains a number of original contributors to this site who found the moderation here untenable.

Rob

OldWood":ywvxcljt said:
jnesmith":ywvxcljt said:

Interesting that four months after this matter was discussed, someone from outside - and further someone from another country - in reviewing the thread makes the assessment that "Chris1965" was unreasonably handled by the moderators.

I believe that there is another UK based forum that parallels this one and contains a number of original contributors to this site who found the moderation here untenable.

Rob

Parallel forums? Hmmm, you mean here http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back