Carbide Cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chaps The carbide cutters you are looking for might be on your door step.
1. Contact any reputable engineering / cnc supplier and explain what u need.
2. You do not want cutters used for steel they are not as sharp and angle is different.
3. You want cutters used for aluminium they are sharper and the angle is right.
4. One of the new Jet thicknesers has a spiral cutter block fitted with a large number of
small square cutters same as used on these square bar tools/ scrappers.
Regards Roger in Pretoria

There is a seller on the bay who sells all types of stuff including Carbide cutters and all kinds of steel.
He trades under RDGT. hope this is of help.

Any updates or conclusions on what sellers and product types work best for woodturning ?

Cheers, Paul

DINK":1eilabhb said:
Hi I bought a box of 10 round 12mm carboloy cutters £9.50 off a guy on the bay (timw8675) he often lists them but if theres none on you can contact him from there.

Hi Dink - I've tried searching for this guy as a Shop without success - is he a private seller ?

Rob

The guy from easy tools says that the carbide bits he uses are standard ones but he changes the rake angle. Has anyone measured the angle of the square cutters that are for sale especially the box of 10?

I have a diamond wheel on my tormek and it touches up these cutter just fine

Apparently the ones used for wood are a different alloy that allows it to be sharpened to a better edge. These are also supposed to be the ones that are disposable because they say they aren't able to be sharpened again. Has anyone tried resharpening one of the disposable cutters?

Paul Hannaby":43l59opr said:
Apparently the ones used for wood are a different alloy that allows it to be sharpened to a better edge. These are also supposed to be the ones that are disposable because they say they aren't able to be sharpened again. Has anyone tried resharpening one of the disposable cutters?

AS mentioned earlier in this thread I just run the top surface across a diamond card to freshen up the edge, mind you I have only felt the need once or twice as they seem to go on for ages.

Having spent my life concentrating on getting the rake angle and various clearances right on cutting tools for differing materials I still find it difficult to come to terms with a flat surface edge sharp enough to strip wood so effectively and cleanly as these tips do. (I only have the Ci1 type.)

Dink bought a box of 10 have I missed his reply about what they are like or is gon AWOL.
Would be nice to know how they worked.

Hi Chas,
The round cutters have a raised edge ring so you can't just run a stone across the top surface. It sounds like you are referring to the standard carbide cutters used for steel etc?

Paul the cutters I have are the Ci1 originals, if I replace them then I will look for the equivalent without the edge ident etching which I have a reference for somewhere.
inserts.jpg

I don't have a round one, but the pattern I would go for in the first instance would be the flat topped like the Easy Wood version.

Normal Steel inserts are not sharp enough, I've been looking for some designed for brass and bronze, but not too determinedly.

Attachments

• inserts.jpg
    inserts.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,927
Hi Chas,
I think you're talking about square ones and I'm talking about round ones! :?

Has anyone found a UK supplier for the round ones yet? I'm still willing to bulk order from the US if necessary but so far it looks like there's only two of us interested.

Paul
I'm interested but have not used a carbide tool and can only go on the favourable comments here. I have no difficulty in making my own shaft and handle, but am also unsure as to what the use of the round cutter would be. Could you expand on that for I suspect more than just I. My thinking is that it would be another version of the basic ring cutter, then extended into the Little Brother, Rolly Munro, etc., but they all allow the shaving to fall through the cutter (in theory!).

I think the question arises in my mind is whether these carbide tools are cutters or scrapers, and if the former then why when their shape is scraper like ?

Coming back to the round tip, there are a huge number of cutter tips on Ebay, some of which are round, but I think their shape, and this applies to many of the square ones too, has a raised lip so that there is a recess behind the cutting edge that acts as a chip breaker for metal turning - steel particularly. My reading of what is written here is that wood turners do not want that lip as it inhibits using a diamond hone to sharpen the edge. I am also seeing a comment that tips for Aluminium milling/turning do a have a flat top.

Right - what I realise I've just written is all the queries I have, and it would be good if someone could answer these as I would like to think we need to pull together some of the comments in previous posts as this is new technology to possibly most of us.

Rob

Paul I'm in for a round cutter if they are of the same pattern as the Ci1 cutters, I.E Flat top surface.

I've not managed to make a stem/handle for my cutters yet, I'll try and get on to it tomorrow lunchtime and report back over the weekend.

Paul Hannaby":v0db11l5 said:
Hi Chas, No, these are not flat topped cutters.
OK Paul, I'm still in for one of those, just did not want anything from the steel cutting stable.

CHJ":2mf6dj95 said:
Paul Hannaby":2mf6dj95 said:
Hi Chas, No, these are not flat topped cutters.
OK Paul, I'm still in for one of those, just did not want anything from the steel cutting stable.

Paul

add me to the list of people who will take one if you do make an order.

try anything once...

I have had for some months and have been experimenting with the EBay version of the round carbide, flat top cutters mentioned - I can show some stuff later with pics or vids or both if anyone would like to see some results. I bought some 30-40 in anticipation but I'm not sure they are ideal. They seem to work reasonably well on spindle type turning. I haven't had much success on end grain or bowls but that might just be finding the right angles. I notice that on some tools using the flat top carbides, the cutter is attached to the shaft at a slight up tilt. They cut on the centre line.

When I bought the Monster rig from the US, one of the cutters supplied is similar to the one shown on the Hunter tool. The Carbide Depot can supply these but the shipping cost is as much as the cutters - as usual - from the US for some reason. I have sourced, after a good deal of research, a suitable (same) cutter for my purposes from the UK, they are relatively expensive and you have to buy them in sets of 10. They are intended for hollow end grain turning on the Monster, match the one supplied and work well for this, I have no idea how they may perform on other types of cut or other types of tool shaft.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back