Car/ truck advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
My current car is probably not going to have much trade in value in another year so I'm thinking about replacements. I have a Freelander now, because I used to have it as a company car which I then bought at a very favourable deal.

Having done some research, the most sensible option for me seems to be some form of pickup since I want to be able to pull a large trailer (I categorically don't want a van) but also use it as a car (in reasonable comfort) and have the option of putting a fair amount of kit/ timber in it. I really want to keep that sort of stuff outside the cabin so a large estate/ people carrier is also off the list. I am unlikely to transport full 8x4 sheets since these are delivered to me.

Has anyone got one or can recommend one they have used. I've done a bit of test driving (Nissan Navarra and Mitsubishi L200) but thats about it.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

The new Isuzu is supposed to be the business. 3000 cc turbo diesel (the others are 2.5s), with auto gearbox available if required (the others don't).

Don't know the model sorry.

I personally have a Toyota Hilux Surf (import) which I have been very pleased with, but it isn't a pickup body, so not what you are after. However Toyota do make a pickup which might be worth looking at. I have owned 3 Toyotas over the years and have found them to be superb in terms of build quality and reliability.

Regards

Gary

Tim
I'm getting a Navara Aventura shortly-covers most things! Unfortunately, can't tell you more as I've only taken one for a test drive once. Looks great though, and with all the "car" luxuries I like! Massive towing ability and can carry plenty in the back.
Cheers
Philly :D

I'm not a driver so cant really give you much of a view. But when I read your requirements the first thing that sprung to mind was the Hilux.

Philly

The Navarra brochures arrived this morning. The Aventura clearly is the one to have. When d'you get it?

Cheers

Tim

Tim,
I know you don't want a van - image eh? But the pickups we have in this country seem so darn small as to be useless in terms of carrying capacity in the back. Our North American cousins have pickups where a full sheet of ply, a wardrobe or two etc can easily be put in the back. Looking at the Navara, an 1861mm length in the back just seems too short although the width is fine at 1560mm except I rather doubt this is within the wheel arches?

Contrast this with the dirt cheap Toyota HiAce van with 2,535mm load length and a 1,140kg payload potential. And no worries about rain on your goods.

OK I know you don't want a van - I'll get me coat!

Tim
Hopefully in the next month or so. Just got me VAT bill and the PAYE to pay first :twisted:
Chris
Full sheet of ply? Who cares? It has air con!! :lol:
Yeah, I'll get my coat, too.

Philly,
Air Con??
Only a van can support airbrush art as it is meant to be seen - OK you have to have appreciated the 70's to like this stuff but truth is I always wanted a VW painted with a wild scene, an exotic woman, a beach, a surfboard, no responsibilities and the whole lot painted on the van to make everyone as envious as hell!

waterhead37":scbrtvp9 said:
Philly,
Air Con??
Only a van can support airbrush art as it is meant to be seen - OK you have to have appreciated the 70's to like this stuff but truth is I always wanted a VW painted with a wild scene, an exotic woman, a beach, a surfboard, no responsibilities and the whole lot painted on the van to make everyone as envious as hell!
Chris-you really are scaring me! :shock: :lol:
Aw no, I can imagine you driving one, now. :roll: That's an image that's going to stay with me a long time........
Who remembers the 70's but maybe doesn't appreciate them

Didn't Ian Dalziel say he could get a full sized sheet in the back of his Chrysler people carrier thingy? Sorry I can't remember the model (biker so don't know much about cars really!).

It must be pretty big if he can.

:D got motor home i can get lot in that inclueding the kichen sink :shock:

i was looking at the 1 ton trucks to pull a detachable caravan they are not that big but nice

martyn

I knew Chris would stir it!

The reason I don't want a van is that probably 90% of the time its main job will be a people and dog transporter. I don't fancy the dogs skating around in the back of a Transit (and I imagine they don't either). I basically want a decent vehicle to drive around in, which has the ability to hold tools securely and that anything messy can be put in the back. For big stuff that doesn't warrant a large van/ lorry, its my intention to have a large trailer.

I have looked into the US trucks but a Dodge Ram hasn't got that much more capacity and at 14 mpg max I couldn't afford to move it anyway.

I don't think I have ever needed to transport a full sheet of ply - they are so damn unwieldy that I cut them down as soon as possible. Basically something like a Hiace is probably great for someone who builds on site and uses it for materials and tools. I build mostly in the workshop and then transport the finished goods in a hired van or lorry.

Cheers

Tim

I too have heard good things about the izuzu although when me and my dad went to have a look at a second hand one in an audi dealership the one critisism i would have was about the size of the carrying space in the back. having said that it maybe of a similar size to most newer style pick ups anyway. It looked really quite good though.

The navaras look like real beasts with some grunt, especially in black. Great :D

My dad just picked up a new Disco 3 on sunday, an unbelievable improvement on the previous versions. much less agricultural.

Hi Tim,
The Ford Ranger springs to my mind. Load area at the back with enough room in the cab for a family or kit as required. Can't get an 8 x 4 in my ford galaxy, but I do have a trailer so no probs there. Think I'd be going for the Ranger in your position. Just my two penny worth. Hope you're happy with whatever you end up with.

Cheers, sliver :)

hilux-cd-6i.jpg

vroom vroom :twisted:

I've got one of these
NissanNavara.jpg
2002 Nissan Navara

I tried several at the time including the Mazda (Ford Ranger), Mitsubishi and Toyota. The Mitsubishi was a decent drive, the Mazda seemed really underpowered and I didn't like the gearbox. The Nissan was the clear winner, IIRC the Nissan was also the only one to have ABS at the time. If I was looking again at the moment I wouldn't bother with another pickup as it is such a compromise in nearly every area. The main disadvantage has been the lack of dry, secure cargo capacity. You could solve this by fitting a Truckman top but they are a considerable extra cost and you lose some of your load advantages. Dealers will tell you how easy they are to remove and refit but don't believe a word, it's a two man job and every time you do it you're risking your paintwork.

If you really want a pickup however then I would recommend the Navara, the new model handles much better, when unladen and in 2wd the rear-end on the old one has a tendency to overtake the cab in the wet. The engine is more powerful, not that it really needed more and the driver and front passengers accommodation is very comfortable. The biggest improvement IMHO is to the cargo restraint system which is now miles ahead of anything else on the market, the old system was just four open ended hooks. I have had no reliability issues with mine, it goes anywhere with the right tyres on it and I have used it to tow some extremely heavily laden trailers, including 3ton mini-diggers, up the steep local hills with no problems. In fact the only problem I've had whilst towing my normal trailer (1300kg tipper) is that it makes so little difference to the performance I've actually forgotten it was there on a couple of occassions, very dangerous.

One word of warning, mine eats front tyres. The first set I had on mine were replaced after 15,000 miles when I finally noticed that the inside on both sides were nearly bald, the outside was fine. I thought that it was a problem with the suspension geometry on my car at first but after doing some research discovered that it is a "characteristic" of that particular incarnation. They were replaced by Nissan at a substantial discount, the dealer assures me that it's not a problem on the new model, but he would say that as he's been trying to sell me one for months.

If you must have a pickup then the Nissan is still IMHO the best option. I just had a quick look at the Isuzu and despite the bigger engine it still can't beat the torque or horsepower developed by the Nissan, which is available in auto should you wish. In fact it looks so good I'm having second thoughts now, I might take the dealer up on his offer of a loan :oops:

Good luck

Simon

Chris is suggesting this:

GetImage_asp.jpg

and Philly is suggesting this:

gall-photo-main-navara-7.jpg

Mmmmmmm, now let me think....... :-k

Cheers

Tim

Tim,
OK then, how about this?

CXT-2.gif

Born out of a 20-ton hauler and other Internationa® severe service trucks used by the construction, government and waste industries, the International CXT is built on the same platform as dump trucks and snowplows. As a result, it is a vehicle unrivaled in capability, size and appearance. It hauls 6 tons*, is all-wheel drive, uses air brakes for unmatched stopping ability and offers towing, dumping and tilt bed capability. Additionally, it features a spacious interior with crew cab design that seats six and can be customized to meet owners’ specific needs – from paint color to air seats to flat screen TVs.

Oh, and it's 9 feet high..

Simon

Think there must have been a post overlap. I do agree with you about the compromise factor. Trouble is I don't want two vehicles - car and van and if I did have a car, given where we live (the muddiest place in the world) and the fact that we have two big dogs, the most obvious replacement for my Freelander would be something like another Freelander, but then I'd still need a van or something. So while the pickup concept is a compromise I can't think of a more suitable answer (but am willing to listen to suggestions).

I basically need the following:

Something comfortable and pleasant to drive
4 seats
4x4 for winter round here and a lot of my clients have long unmetalled drives
Big enough to take a lot of tools
External storage for stuff eg some timber (but most is delivered)
Good towing capacity

Cheers

Tim

edit: another post overlap - Chris has solved the problem! see above (the van equivalent of a Sauer plane no doubt!) :lol:

Latest posts

Back