Car/ truck advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waterhead37":29c8ydk8 said:
Tim,
OK then, how about this?

CXT-2.gif

Born out of a 20-ton hauler and other Internationa® severe service trucks used by the construction, government and waste industries, the International CXT is built on the same platform as dump trucks and snowplows. As a result, it is a vehicle unrivaled in capability, size and appearance. It hauls 6 tons*, is all-wheel drive, uses air brakes for unmatched stopping ability and offers towing, dumping and tilt bed capability. Additionally, it features a spacious interior with crew cab design that seats six and can be customized to meet owners’ specific needs – from paint color to air seats to flat screen TVs.

Oh, and it's 9 feet high..
Trust Chris to bring out the S+S version of a truck! :wink:
Philly :D
Who's only jealous

Tim,

You won't go wrong with the Nissan, I bought a pickup because of all the renovation work we've been doing and as it's mostly finished (except workshop :evil: :evil: ) my needs will be changing. I'd like something obscenely quick and thirsty before I'm so fat and old I look like one of those sad bewigged gits you used to see in Triumph Stags, thinking about it I might already be too fat :cry:

I can handle my other needs with an old van, as there's no VED over here and I have ALOT of space having two vehicles isn't a problem for me but I appreciate that most people aren't so lucky.

If you are torn between two models I would suggest comparing the cargo restraint systems. The new Nissan one is fantastic and will make a huge difference to the usability of the vehicle, the one on mine has been a nightmare and has cost me no end of time and skinned knuckles. It seems like a silly thing to rave about but it really will make a big difference. I'm afraid I could only find one photo of it and it's not very clear.
05-r3q.jpg

One more thing, if you get a bed liner I would suggest one of the new type that are sprayed on. The older, removable, plastic type always get water trapped underneath them and cause terrible rust on the bed floor. I don't know what Nissan supply now but there are plenty of places that install them if they aren't a dealer option. They are available in non-slip as well which is a real boon.

Simon

I don't know, Tim.

I was/am in a similar dilemma...you know what our drive aka track is like. Also I had a need for carting stuff around either as part of renovation projects or wood for woodworking etc. Stuff ranging from bags of cement to 'clean' items. But...very big but....how often did I really need this capability?

I thought long and hard about a large, old Volvo estate...and drove a few..and got thoroughly disillusioned...I tried a Freelander but didn't like the way it wallowed round corners (I'm used to a hard sporty type suspension...always have been.probably always will!)....

and then I had a rethink. How often did I actually NEED this type of carrying capacity? In my case not that often and so it became a question of,,,,do I want to drive this day in/day out down to Malvern, to park in Waitrose with it, that sort of thing...and I soon came to the conclusion NO.

Certainly when doing up the flats in London was a few trips each week bringing stuff down and I did think about hiring a van...but then I thought why not see how much I can actually get in the boot of the Mazda. Short answer was everything from table saw to thicknesser ..although not at the same time.

I can see your dilemma..guess my real point is this...would you be happy driving a pickup on all those other occasions when you don't need that space at the back?

maybe this fits the bill?

Roger
11.jpg

What about a large Estate car? like a volvo V70:

V70_Ext_604x314_07.jpg

Wizer":1ngx7z41 said:
What about a large Estate car? like a volvo V70:

I don't want to use the passenger area for storage of big, dirty toolboxes, timber etc. That is what has knackered the inside of my Freelander. Plus a pickup is a commercial vehicle for tax purposes.

Roger - your logic is impeccable and outlines exactly my dilemma. However, the Freelander does need replacing anyway and I need something of that size/ capability anyway. The town traffic/ trips doesn't bother me - I rarely go into town anyway.

What amazes me is that I can get a pretty serious truck like the Nissan Navarra Aventura that Philly's getting =P~ for about the same money as a Freelander. If they were much more expensive then I would probably think differently.

Cheers

Tim

Guy

Are those your mods or is it a body style that one can buy? Obviously, next question is whats behind the doors?

Cheers

Tim

Tim
These are a custom back made by a bodybuilder here, this cost me around $7000 in addition to the vechile at $23000. take a look at there web site here
http://www.cooksbodyworks.com.au im sure someone in the Uk must make something like that. Nehind the doors are shelves which i use to store tools etc but you can get the storage configured how you want them.

id go with taffy, toyota hilux surf.

5 people no probs
4.8m length in it with back window down
4x4
good for towing
pick one up very reasonable
big boot for tools
more like a car than a commercia

cheers yotasurf

Has anyone got one or can recommend one they have used. I've done a bit of test driving (Nissan Navarra and Mitsubishi L200) but thats about it.

Freelander...... sheesh.... have ya tried a real Landrover..???

My 25 year old Series III will haul or carry anything I load it with or hitch to it... built like the proverbial brick chithaus (looks like it too) with none o the designer widgets that go titzupp at the drop of a hat...

If that's a bit too basic for ya... have a look at a Santana... All the strength of a Series III with some of the comforts (read girlie bits) of a Defender... 5 doors for 5 bums and at least 10k cheaper than a Defender.

Isuzu diesel power plant, Santana's own drive train, disks all round and parabaulic springs... it won Best 4x4 2005...

Tim

I run an Isuzu trooper commercial which has two seats and and hence is basically a van.
I have roof bars on it permanently for taking home timber and have even
had 8x4 sheets on the roof.
I have tried the pickups before but find they have a very hard ride due to there load capacity.
I also need to have a secure storage in the back for tools and diving equipment and the pick ups don't have this unless you fit a rear cover.
When I need to carry any really large loads I just use one of my trailers.
I find this gives me far more flexibility than a pickup and I still have the
comfort of a car type suspension set up.
The pickups have there place but I would give it some serious thought and definitely try driving one.
How about a large 4x4 like a nissan patrol or a toyota land cruiser and
a trailer for large or dirty loads this way you get your comfort and 4 seats.
They also have large storage areas and I would imagine the seats would also move to give extra flexibility.

Regards

Mike

Quetech":2zm7pyet said:
I run an Isuzu trooper commercial which has two seats and and hence is basically a van.
I have roof bars on it permanently for taking home timber and have even
had 8x4 sheets on the roof.

Roofracks are great. I carry 8*4s on mine all the time, and that's on a 306.

Back