car tax reminder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
My car tax is due next month on 1st September, but have had no reminder, do they still send them out.
I have had the car over a year and last year taxed it in the post office as i had just brought it.

our last reminder took longer to arrive than normal. I am not sure whether the police are that interested in the offence of "failure to display a relevant tax disk" now- they can check whether it is actually taxed easily enough, and if you do it online you are covered even if it hasnt been received by you yet.

marcros":o3mkh90o said:
and if you do it online you are covered even if it hasnt been received by you yet.

I've taxed the car and van online now for a couple of years and I'd wondered about that.

monkeybiter":7y3j8cgb said:
marcros":7y3j8cgb said:
and if you do it online you are covered even if it hasnt been received by you yet.

I've taxed the car and van online now for a couple of years and I'd wondered about that.

please check before you rely on it in court, but I believe that you can prove that you have paid, and it is in the system!

i think even if you do it online you still need number from there reminder, seem to remember asking for number on form
pip

I don't why they don't just scrap car tax and instead have a car insurance tax of the same amount to save on admin. Instead of displaying a tax disk cars could display an insurance disk. Makes sense as you have to get insurance to get tax anyway.

I've said for ages that car tax should be scrapped and 1p added to the cost of fuel to cover it, that way nobody can drive without tax, and the more you drive the more tax you pay.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

deserter":glwwlbtu said:
I've said for ages that car tax should be scrapped and 1p added to the cost of fuel to cover it, that way nobody can drive without tax, and the more you drive the more tax you pay.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

That is an argument that has been floated for some years. I cant remember however what the reason for not doing so is, but there must be one. It certainly sounds sensible.

You should show an insurance disc. Road tax should be on petrol (this was mooted in the 70's, but for some reason it was deemed to penalise elderly people - it didn't dawn on the powers that were that the elderly would actually gain because their consumption was small). A proportion of taxes raised should be actually spent on the roads, safety would be improved and pollution would drop substantially. Please don't expect politicians to act logically - we're a bankrupt country that can't afford to repair dangerous roads, but can afford £M150 per medal won in the olympics.

As an afterthought, another bonus is of course, that you catch foreign drivers if you tax fuel. They charge us tolls.

Car tax isn't dedicated to funding roads.
Someone with two cars can only drive one at a time.
The country benefits from a healthy transport network.
Abolish road tax, maintain roads from other tax revenues.

Go find your V5 and you can use the long "number" on that on the direct.gov.uk website to tax it with. No need to wait for the reminder. You can tax it about 14 days before it runs out IIRC.

HIH

Dibs

Yes it has come
Popped down to my local postoffice 9 miles away and handed over £170.
Thanks for all the advise, as i get older i worry about things that i have no control over but thanks again.

monkeybiter":g00f14t4 said:

Indeed, it works very well over here in France. The MOT is every two years and insurance is cheap. Rip off UK seems in full swing still.

You cannot get a licence without a current MOT and Insurance (info held by the DVLA) so its useful as a check for "avoiders".

Perhaps biannual MOT's is another contributing factor to France's appalling Road Safety record?
Really annoys me when expats keep moaning about their old country!
I pay £300 for my car insurance - I don't consider that a rip off?

Harbo":2inlocf9 said:
You cannot get a licence without a current MOT and Insurance (info held by the DVLA) so its useful as a check for "avoiders".

Perhaps biannual MOT's is another contributing factor to France's appalling Road Safety record?
Really annoys me when expats keep moaning about their old country!
I pay £300 for my car insurance - I don't consider that a rip off?

I'm not an ex pat who moans much any more about the UK. I moaned about it for years before I came here, it was a huge rip off in many ways. I still regard myself as British and proud of it. I am quite entitled, after having paid into the system for forty years and having had a good life in the UK, to puppy about the parts I don't like.

I pay €140 for my insurance. Accidents happen mostly because of drivers. In this area at least there are, apart from our old rattle trap, very few old cars about. Most of the French in our area at least, seem to change their cars regularly. There are, of course, some old folks in 2CVs but then they drive at snails pace. The only wrecks parked at the local garage are new, mostly our old friend the BMW.

Second hand is expensive but new cars are hugely cheaper here and servicing costs are reasonable. Every two years is more than adequate.

That old channel sure does add value.

gus3049":1kj3xstj said:
monkeybiter":1kj3xstj said:

Indeed, it works very well over here in France. The MOT is every two years and insurance is cheap. Rip off UK seems in full swing still.

The CT, MOT equivalent. has to be done from the car being 4 years old and you have a non removable sticker in the windscreen. The insurance is shown by a small green 'vignette' just below where the ct sticker goes, so in theory (?) you don't drive around witout either. The non road tax only applies to private cars. Company vehicles, trucks, etc do have a road tax, but as it isn't applickable to moi I have no idea what it is.

One exception is for ex-pats who decide that they are legal by being resident here and driving their cars on exported U.K. plates and doing so with a CT and French insurance. They are so cleaver that some don't even bother with either, just the u.K. plates!!! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) Their registration has been removed from the U.K. system, it isn't registered her either and they 'think' they'er legal?

Latest posts

Back