Car Show Portrait finished...family sign cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
I've done a few of these "Car Show Portraits". The owners use the 16" x 20" portrait to sit in front of their car at the shows. This one was a lot easier to cut since I now have a saw with a 26" throat. The first two were done on my saw with a 20" throat. This one is headed for the owner tomorrow.

Today I finished up the cutting of my first outside piece. This one gave me fits as it is 30" long. I couldn't spin it on the upper and lower letters. I had to take them out in pieces.....I still haven't gotten the hang of using spirals or this type of cutting would be a lot easier.
Pics of both below.
Lin
samscartwolg.jpg

lawsonsign.jpg

Two projects that show you don't need to have lots of detail to make something effective and elegant with a scrollsaw. Thanks for showing them to us Lin.

Have you decided how you're going to finish the outside sign yet?

Gill

Gill, The folks I'm doing it for sorta wanted it stained but pine can be such a PIA to stain and have the color go on evenly even using conditioner. I oiled a couple of the cutout letters and they darkened up quite nicely....The oil brought out the grain lines and looked pretty darn good. Thinking I will use dannish oil on it....let it dry then oil it again.....Going to check out $$ on a marine type finish....Hoping if it's too high priced the guys at the hardware store can give me some good info on what will help it hold up to the weather. I had to leave quite a bit on the one side with no cutting for the way they plan to attach it to a 4" x 4" post. I sure hope it comes out well......This one will be seen.....easily and could be a good advertisement for other similar pieces.
Lin

Back