Car pressure washers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As above... pressure washer alone is not good enough. I use one like this: first spray water over the car to thoroughly wet it. Then use an attachment that allows you to spray shampoo/cleaner etc on the car. Change shampoo attachment for a soft brush and go over car with the brush with water coming out of the brush. When all done, go back to the jet spray and rinse the car well. The biggest change we made was to get an extension hose for the lance so that we did not have to keep trundling the washer around the car. This process does not really clean the wheels or windows so that is back to elbow grease.
Good luck
Phil

I clicked on this post thinking it was some sort of wind up and perhaps it is.

I find it disheartening that whilst we live in a world on the precipice of global climate disaster with critically depleted energy and water reserves, posters here are offering the OP, who wants to wash his car three times a week because it gets dusty, suggestions on how he can go about it.

How about just giving the windows a rub so that he can see out or simply buy a car cover?

As above... pressure washer alone is not good enough. I use one like this: first spray water over the car to thoroughly wet it. Then use an attachment that allows you to spray shampoo/cleaner etc on the car. Change shampoo attachment for a soft brush and go over car with the brush with water coming out of the brush. When all done, go back to the jet spray and rinse the car well. The biggest change we made was to get an extension hose for the lance so that we did not have to keep trundling the washer around the car. This process does not really clean the wheels or windows so that is back to elbow grease.
Good luck
Phil

Get yourself something called TFR (traffic film remover) TFR . This is the stuff proper valeters use, not those youtube fannies with their snowfoam. You need to be very careful with it as it can ruin your car if you don't get it right. But this stuff will take all the rubbish off the wheels, bodywork, etc without even need for any scrubbing. It can also be diluted in the pressure washer for general cleaning.
For bodywork, I suggest something like 20:1 water to TFR. For wheels I would start with around 8:1 in a pressure bottle, just spray it on, leave it for 1-2 minutes then blast with the pressure washer, or even a decent hose sprayer.
Again, I must stress the precautions with this. If you have black plastic sills on the front windows near the engine bay, this stuff will discolour it, some vehicles will be fine, and some won't. I recommend full spot testing on a similar vehicle of someone in your neighbourhood (I'm kidding!).

I'm running a 57 plate Honda which I've had from new. The first year it got cleaned probably 3 times but it hasn't been cleaned at all for the past 5 years o_O

It only gets dirty again on the way from the car-wash!
same with me, at least 4 yrs. BTW pressure washers won't remove cobwebs!

Get yourself something called TFR (traffic film remover) TFR . This is the stuff proper valeters use, not those youtube fannies with their snowfoam. You need to be very careful with it as it can ruin your car if you don't get it right. But this stuff will take all the rubbish off the wheels, bodywork, etc without even need for any scrubbing. It can also be diluted in the pressure washer for general cleaning.
For bodywork, I suggest something like 20:1 water to TFR. For wheels I would start with around 8:1 in a pressure bottle, just spray it on, leave it for 1-2 minutes then blast with the pressure washer, or even a decent hose sprayer.
Again, I must stress the precautions with this. If you have black plastic sills on the front windows near the engine bay, this stuff will discolour it, some vehicles will be fine, and some won't. I recommend full spot testing on a similar vehicle of someone in your neighbourhood (I'm kidding!).

TFR will also stain annodised aluminium, eg. sills on certain motorhomes - don't ask how I know!:mad:

Each to their own. If people want to wash their cars three times a week then it's their choice. I personally don't think it's necessary in fact the last time I took mine to a car wash was sometime last year but I'd never condemn anyone for doing so.

For decades I would never let anyone clean my car as very few people actually know how to wash and clean a car properly without scratching the paintwork. I used to only buy cars and change my cars every 23 months but these days I run my cars for much longer and I'm less precious about my car than I once was.

The one thing that should be realised is that road dirt/traffic film is very difficult to remove with a pressure washer once it has dried on and jet washing should be preceded by using a softening agent and the dirt loosened with a wet brush or liberally soaked sponge and even then very lightly stroked so as to avoid any grit from scoring the finish which shows up dreadfully in strong sunlight.

Before I retired I owned a driving school for over 30 years so cleanliness was part of the appearance and my cleaning regime was to first spray the car with diluted traffic film remover to loosen the surface dirt which I used to purchase from the local agricultural supplies and then use a special long reach commercial car washing brush constructed of a rubber compound which didn't scratch the paintwork and which I recall cost about £30 in the early 90s so it wasn't cheap but it was worth it and is still in my garage now. The brush was dipped into a large bucket of car foamy shampoo mix and when the car was washed I would then use either a hose or in winter use a power wash to clean off both the paintwork and the underside.

After the final rinse I'd spray my car with a product called 'Bobby Dazzler' which is popular with caravan enthusiasts and which makes it shine and every few months I'd give my vehicle a coat of good quality wax, that way dust and dirt are less likely to settle on and stick to the the paintwork.

Really a power wash is only necessary for removing caked on dirt on the underside of a car, a hose should be fine and is less likely to cause damage to any loose paintwork on the edges of wings, doors and sills but I found that even with a powerful washer it still needed the assistance of a brush to loosen the surface dirt.

Have an old Karcher K2 that wasn’t expensive and just keeps going. Recommend snow foam for an easy clean although using a chamois afterwards takes some effort but gives a good finish.
Worth considering how many £5 washes you can get for the cost of the washer and detergent.

Thank you for your sarcastic remarks
I really don't think @Spectric was meaning to be sarcastic, just a humorous comment which has been misunderstood.

Pressure washers take quite a bit of effort to operate. There is quite a bit of reverse force generated at full power. If you are in poor health, it may be too much for you. You should try one out before you buy. Is a cover a possibility? that would help keep the dust off.

As most have said, the jet wash only does so much. A bit like what effort my wife thinks is put into DIY as ‘the power tool does all the work doesn’t it !!??? “

Snow foam nozzle and decent snow foam from a proper valet place such as autoglym, then leave to sit. Wash off. Gets most of the muck off and no need for a brush on the areas above the door handles. Sills probably need some agitation.
I’m always amazed how a water jet can lift chrome plate and paint causing it to flake, yet will not even touch a dead insect mark, so then you just use your finger nail and it easily slides off. So easy to damage stuff if used incorrectly.
I use a dewalt power washer I got from Screwfix, as it’s a brass valve assy. Decent kit.
Cheap units are only designed for occasional use and are low pressure imho.
Cheers ☺️👌

The added effect of using TFR, snowfoam, Surfex HD, Bobby Dazzler and other chemical cleaning products to clean your car is that the run-off will add to the contamination of the remaining 14% of England's rivers that still meet ecologically acceptable standards and,“get the job done”.

There was no sarcasm intended, but as you get older you do realise the road in front is getting shorter and you need to concentrate more on less. This has been discussed before where people drop certain interest to put the effort into other things, for me I no longer participate in photography as I was trying to do to much and for me I value my time so cleaning cars has just fallen off the radar, much easier to just drive into one of those pop up places and pay a fiver and then continue the day doing something that really floats your boat.

Thanks to all those who respond with good comments. The past weeks have been quite difficult to do jobs like the car cleaning, (the reason why I needed a pressure washer in the first place) following a fall and dislocation my shoulder

Hi I am 75 years of age and not in the best of health and I now find it harder to clean the car. I have been paying to have the car cleaned now, about 3 times a week. I would like to purchase a pressure washer so I can do it myself. I would appreciate any advice from members who have had experience using them. I don't need to have the latest all gadget does everything type that costs a fortune, but one that will with a bit of my effort make a good clean job of the car. I've been persuaded to by one by the people who are building 400+ houses about a 100 mts from my home. I never new how much dust and filth the wind can carry from a building sight.
If it's just dust then the old leaf blower might help. As long as windows, lights, number plates are clean, you are good to go. I would include door mirrors too. Just a thought.

Back