car parking area spec

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to make a car parking area for a customer 15M by 7M and was wondering the best way to go once dug out.
A) 50mm stone, smooth over with corse sand, fabric, finish off with 25mm scalpings, then compacted.
B) Fabric, 50mm stone, finish off with 25mm scalpings, then compacted.
Thanks for any replies.

It seems a bit light depending on how much use it will get and how long you want it to last. Sounds more like a foot path. For domestic use I would suggest a minimum of fabric (I am assuming this to be a Terran type material.) 100mm stone compacted and the 25mm scalping across the top.
This will also depend on the condition of the ground.
Have you a bit more info?

And if there are going to be lines on it make sure you use up-to-date sizing, so many places don’t and the bays aren’t big enough for modern cars. Ian

Depends a lot on use and by what, for the extra cost go for fabric-min of 100mm(150mm better) type one well compacted in 50mm layers,then your chosen top dressing, try not to go for small stone chips as they get stuck in the tyres,rounded gravels are a pain in the bum as well. If you skimp on the sub base then you will possibly have troubles later with subsidence .

Its an extension to their tarmac drive, somewhere to park up visitors cars and is veg garden at the moment so should be
soft earth underneath.
Used the plastic grid out the front of the house as i put down gravel but to expensive for this size area.
My spec was not clear, i was going 75mm deep base using 50mm stone, from what has been said i will beef it up to 100mm deep, then finish off with a 50mm depth of 25mm scalpings.

Dig deeper, use more stone. Take account of soil beneath. Modern cars, including electric cars, are heavy. I think on 100mm type 1 you may well end up with wheel track depressions over (not much) time. I did 150 mm compacted type 1, then smoothing sand shallow layer, then 100mm concrete blocks (surplus from a lorry park so thicker than usual domestic) on the parking area into my garage. On clay. With a heavy electric car wheel track depressions gradually appeared over 2 years.

Roll or compact the type 1 then do it again when the top layer goes down. It is worth hiring a ride on roller with vibrating roller wheels. Does a far better job than a whacker plate (I had learnt my lesson by the time I did my driveway).

The above is a good point. a Nissan Leaf weighs 1.7 tonne and a Model S 2.5 tonne as is the new Kia EV6, so definitely something to bear in mind as more and more of these types of car will be around from now on

I used the plastic mesh on our dog walking field carpark, 500 sq m very expensive and it didn't hold up in the wet winter.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to dig until the topsoil stops, rather than assuming a certain depth before digging?
Layer thickness depends on the compacter, a hire firm may have guidelines for what you hire?
And think about something creative to do with the topsoil nearby while you have the digger?
If I was making a parking spot specifically for electric vehicles it would be about three feet deep and lined with polythene (aka a pond). Attrition is a slow process ;)

Back