car over heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
My alfa has been running hot for a while, and recently it has gotten a lot worse, i can only keep the temperature at a reasonable level if i have the heater on. And in this weather it sucks :-({|= .

enough is enough so i decided to pull the radiator out and flush it with clean water, but that was not the problem...

rad.jpg

best i can figure is that the fins on the rad are aluminium and the winter salt has completely eaten them away :shock: the fins that are left just crumble when i poke them. I spose the efficiency affected a bit by that :wink: . Gonna cost about 200 for a new one, and it will cramp my tool buying for a while.

Tom,

Have you checked around for someone who rebuilds radiators? I had an old Humber Scepter that over heated on sunny days. :x
I found a local (to me at the time) firm that re-cored the rad for about £50, ok it was late 1980's but might be worth a ring round before the Alfa chaps take all of your tool money. :twisted:

Dont forget to check the breakers yards (they even have computerised stock lists these days and can tell you where there is one)

Tom....

I'd back up what Dave said... if the top and bottom tanks are intact simply have it recored. For around half the price of a new one you'll get a proper job done, pressure test to verify the work and a respray to make it look as good as it'll work... well worth letting your fingers do the walking...

I had the Landrover rad recored about this time last year... left it in the shop in the morning, collected it just before closing time...

not too keen on a rad from a breaker it might have the same problems, called a local refurb company this morning and they can give me a new one for 80 quid... result :)

Back end crash and newish model might still be OK.
When in business myself I used to find it cheaper to put in a breakers engine than have a service.

Ah those were the days.

tombo":21h89csv said:
called a local refurb company this morning and they can give me a new one for 80 quid... result :)

Well done, so what you going to buy the left over cash. :shock:

Dave,

You know how it works, its not as though i actually had £200 just lying around to be spent on a tool. I just have to be a bit more sneaky :wink:

Tom

Tombo
You may want to check out Serck Marston in your area, great prices on warranted radiators, I use them a lot and no problems.
Regards
Martin

cheers guys!

put the new rad in a couple of hours ago what a difference!!
new-rad.jpg

went for a blat and there was no need for the heater :D hooray. When i think how long i've put up with this....

Tom

tombo":1jcx7ada said:
When i think how long i've put up with this....

Yep, been there, done that with the old Scepter, like having a new motor not having to worry about how hard your pushing it. :D

Back