car insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
this will probably induce anger but its that time of year again.

I've done all of the comparison sites, cashback sites and double checked all of my quotes and my car insurance is still coming in at £406. Social domestic and pleasure with commuting.

I can get breakdown cover from the AA for £49 which I will go for.

Any recommendations for good but cheaper car insurance?

I've got 8 years NCB and 13 years full uk clean licence.

Only thing that goes against me is some uninsured whatsit hit me in 2007 and I had to pay out. :evil:

mickthetree":2g304ha1 said:
Only thing that goes against me is some uninsured whatsit hit me in 2007 and I had to pay out. :evil:

These days I think it's more like "the only thing that goes against you is that you're trying to insure a car". Everyone I know, myself included, has had premiums go up and up recently, for no apparent reason. It's almost enough to make a man suspect price fixing, but I'm sure our insurance industry would never consider such a thing!

My insurer tried to invalidate my insurance recently because I hadn't provided proof of my no-claims bonus. I'm sure if I hadn't noticed the vaguely-anonymous email they sent me they'd have happily kept taking my money and only told me my insurance was void if I needed to claim on it... but I'd figured I didn't need to provide proof of my NCB because my previous insurer was the same bloody company!

I think its jumped up again this year, mine has stayed static when normal it goes down year on year as I get younger.

Which is no surprise at all, as every tom-dick and harry on a bike is out there crashing into cars then claiming off their insurance, yet they pay no road tax or insurance. (I'm well aware there are loads of drivers out there careering into bikes because they can't drive) This whole claims business is going the same way as the sub prime mortgages have sent the economy.

I've always insured through a broker and leave it to them to get the best deal. Over many years they've managed to keep my premiums reasonable but this year it has gone up a bit. I rang them to query the amount and after a chat I'm happy that they've done their best. I'm paying £189 fully comp, two drivers £100 excess and car not garaged. That's on a 1.8i Nissan Almera with maximum no-claims and 50+ years driving experience.

Cheers for the feedback everyone

I'm driving a 1.6 Diesel Ford cMax. A less desirable car to nick I have yet to find.

With a cashback website offer Aviva will be the cheapest so far at £406. I too was paying £180 ish quid about 10 years ago fully comp on my mini. I loved that car....

I had a brain wave last night. My neighbour had his 3 cars keyed about 4/5/ months ago and claimed on his insurance. Nice job they did of fixing it, but looks like I'm footing the bill for it now!!

It all seems to have gone up. Possibly to compensate for everyone using price comparison websites to drive the prices down??

I have NFU calling me back today and I'm going to take Rogers advice and see a local Broker as well.

Spent all of last night on this. Valuable shed time!!

Hi Mick

have you tried LV?

I have both cars and my van through them and find them excellent to deal with.

have guaranteed NCB (better than protected) and have recently renewed both cars. from memery as I can't check at the minute, i paid around £240 for my BMW 320d edition and pretty much the same for my wifes highly specced Mini Cooper. We are older than you I think and cover low mileage as well as living in a low risk area.

I'm sure I could get cheaper insurance but would rather not find out the provider was useless when the time came to claim.

cheers

Bob

cambournepete":3r68zcdh said:
I've just switched to Aviva - they wanted about half what Admiral did for a 2-car policy.

We stuck both our daily cars on a Admiral Multi - worked out cheaper than leaving them as 2 separate policies, usually with 2 different companies. Renews next Spring - will be interesting to see what happens.

Dibs

Cheers guys

Just spoke to Aviva who offered to knock £50 off but they cant honour the £80 cashback over the phone. I got a call back from NFU and am waiting on some more info from them. Local office too.

The guy at Aviva said that all policies have gone up a lot this last year. But I guess he would say that wouldnt he!

Karl":535fzbdc said:
Chems":535fzbdc said:
.....it goes down year on year as I get younger.

You should change your username to Benjamin Button :lol:

I'm not sure what that says about me Psychologically to make that sort of slip, it must be that I spend so much time around teenagers now that I feel I'm getting younger!

Mick, your theory about the guy getting his car keyed makes a lot of sense, and I think the NFU guy is right the price has gone up across the board.

Its all a bit mad really, our BMW 335i is only 500 quid a year fully comp and we live in Watford, not so far from Tring - bizarre. Might be age, I am 45?

32 years old. NFU just called me back. Very friendly, helpful chap. But unfortunately the quote was £990!!!

Don't think I'll be using them!

Actually he was really surprised how high it was.

Acording to moneysavingexpert.com the time of the month you get the quote makes a difference. As quotes are valid for 30 days I'll keep trying at different times. If it doesnt go down with them any more I'll use the outstanding quote.

So, it looks like I wont be getting that new pillar drill I've been after!!

Sorry

The above link is just the insurance company.

Have a look here, you can do just the test but will probably need an hour or so with an instructor.

http://www.iam.org.uk/

Remember it is not just about saving money on the insurance, further driver training may help us all in the long term especially if you ride a motorbike as the potential of being seriously hurt as a motorcyclist is far greater then a car driver.

Mick

This year I switched my wife's car from Aviva and my car from MoreThan to LV.
The premiums were halved!!

Rod

Also tried NFU recently, but they were £150 more than I was asked for by MoreThan. Rang M-T to renew, and the guy on the other end went through the policy with a toothcomb and managed to knock £30 off by removing things I didn't know were included and didn't want!
Of course, it may have all been a fix, but it felt better than forking out the full sum.
They were quite good when I managed to de-sump the Golf on a hump in the road :( , so inclined to stick with them even though it's possible there's cheaper, for a year, somewhere.....

Back