Car hand controls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryd

Established Member
Reaction score
I am soon going to have to make the transition to an automatic with hand controls, as I'm losing the feeling in my feet.
I'd like the benefit of anyone's experience in this area, whether it's with a proper Des Gosling conversion, steering wheel ring, push - pull even the cheap aluminium bars you strap on to the pedals and the steering column and work with a crossbar.
Thanks in advance.

We have a Co. called Wessex Mobility who assess your disability and if applicable let you try out various solutions on their modified cars.

You will have to surrender your licence and inform your insurance Co. too. You will probably have to undergo a few lessons and hope for a good report to the DVLA.

Rod

My brother in law is a double amputee so uses hand controls, I've had a go in the past when using his car and it's surprising how easy they are to use and get used to. I don't know what make his are but you just pull them towards you to accelerate and push them away to brake. There's even a little toggle on top for indicators and you push it in for the horn.

owen":ei96bptf said:
My brother in law is a double amputee so uses hand controls, I've had a go in the past when using his car and it's surprising how easy they are to use and get used to. I don't know what make his are but you just pull them towards you to accelerate and push them away to brake. There's even a little toggle on top for indicators and you push it in for the horn.

I am a paraplegic, and have the same setup. Can't really comment on how it compares to driving normally as I was injured before learning to drive.

Back