Car breakdown recovery recommendation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
My vehicles are getting older and I've no reason to change. On long trips in the back of my mind I often wonder what would happen if I broke down and couldnt fix it myself.
Ideally I'd like a breakdown service that would get my vehicle home so it could be taken to my local garage to be fixed if roadside repair wasn't an option. Any reccomendations?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Talk to your insurance company.
Here in Cyprus, breakdown recovery to your house (or garage of choice) is in ALL insurance policies.
A few years back my car refused to start while it was outside my house. I called a mechanic (4 miles away). he came out but decided it needed to be hooked to his computer, so told me to just phone the insurance company.
They came to my house and took the car to the garage. no charge, no penalties.

Maybe the Uk does the same but the AA and RAC advertising drowns it out?

Not sure of your definition of older but some of the breakdown services don't want to know if the vehicle is over 10 years old. Green flag will provide cover up to 16 years if I recall correctly but charge accordingly.

flying haggis":2nbixeik said:
we have used Auto Aid for years. Currently £60 for the two of us and doesnt matter what car you drive as it is a personal policy

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ezUqwCT27F
Same here. Called them out a few times and their mechanics/drivers have always gone the extra distances- literally and metaphorically

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6 years ago we were in the Uk and driving a borrowed car (fully insured and covered with green flag specifically for us)
The car broke down 150 miles from the owners house. green flag refused to attend. They said their policy covered 30 miles, after that you were on your own. They wouldnt even get it towed to a garage under their policy, but they could put us in touch with a company that would, at our expense of course.
Needless to say they lost that custom from then on.

Autoexpress did a review for 2019 on their website. Top 5 in order are

GEM Motoring Assist
Green Flag
Britannia Rescue
AutoAid
AA

I’m with Britania Rescue and have found them to be very good.

Hi All

I'm covered via my bank account which also covers me for travel insurance to age 80. The breakdown is via the AA who have been very good on the 3 occasions I've had to call. One in fact was really excellent as he replaced a belt quickly and easily where I had been told the generator would have to be removed.

He also told me the biggest call out now is to members who do not have a spare tyre!!

Phil

Thanks for the suggestions, plenty for me to research now. I have a 1998 caddy that's done 70,000 miles which is the oldest. I'll check the small print to make sure they'll cover it. I'd heard of the popular ones- aa, rac and green flag but the others are a surprise.

ColeyS1":3muhxmo0 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, plenty for me to research now. I have a 1998 caddy that's done 70,000 miles which is the oldest. I'll check the small print to make sure they'll cover it. I'd heard of the popular ones- aa, rac and green flag but the others are a surprise.

Is your caddy 'pink' ? 8)

Pink was only available on the '57/'58, along with the Marylyn Monroe projecting bumpers :lol: :lol:
Back in 68 I was offered one of those for 50 quid. Of course that was almost 2 weeks wages for me then, but even that wasnt the deal breaker, I didnt have any room to park the 20 foot long x 6ft 6" wide monster. :roll:
Of course it didnt help that i still only had a motorcycle licence. 8) 8)

RogerS":2rft5tgq said:
ColeyS1":2rft5tgq said:

Is your caddy 'pink' ? 8)
63067be8bbefbf9fdf1be526eb7c88e4.jpg

I wish!

Back