car booty 13/11/2011

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
nice sunny morning today, went to my usual hunting ground to see an awful sign saying closed until next year :cry: :cry: .

then i put my thinking cap on a remembered the racecourse bootfair was still open so off i went, what a good decision that was.

this walworth pipe threading tool with 3 different die's sadly missing the handles but apparently just metal conduit can be used :duno:

P1010570.jpg

a nice square bought to canabalise for the brass and rosewood

P1010578.jpg

some nice in and out cannel gouges marples and such all with box handles :mrgreen:

P1010571.jpg

some other chisels a small straight carving tool a small gouge and a plastic marples to have a go at tarting up

P1010573.jpg

a fantastic range of screwdrivers, a real mixed bunch, a perfect pattern, tyzack, howarth.

P1010572.jpg

dont usually buy wooden planes unless there particularly nice or very cheap or even free. this nice grooving plane was a very nice clean example shame about the wedge.

P1010577.jpg

then these two left one some sort of skewed shoulder plane seems to be a different colour from beech will give it a clean up and see. and the other was a moulding plane and it was FREE!!! :mrgreen: (hammer)

P1010576.jpg

some brass odds and sods for tool making and so on

P1010574.jpg

amstrad 1970 radio

P1010582.jpg

my favourite buy this brilliant taymar screwdriver

P1010583.jpg

got this drill dont no much about it hoping someone may know

P1010579.jpg

P1010580.jpg

and a can of brasso to clean it all up

P1010581.jpg

enjoy

adidat

Fantastic haul there Chris!!!

I particularly like the embossing on the tap wrench...make some handles for that mate and it would sell for a few bob on FleaBay!

The radio...even though Alan made it...is still iconic 70s stuff and wonderful looking...

The screwdriver is absolutely fantastic.....that is my favourite!

If you want to join the "tart up a Marples" competition with a handle join in with Douglas, Mick and me on your forum favourite chisel thread....a bit of fun culminating in a nice chisel...trust me!

I had to work this morning and Annie did the bootfair...load of rubbish and only made a tenner...but she was happy!

Take care mate...I'm off out to the workshop to finish of my competition entry!!! :wink:

Jim

no treasures from you then,

the screwdriver is great i think its going to replace my hurwood as the plane screwdriver of choice. my only problem is that its been coated in some thick black paint but its kinda chipped in places, so do i strip it back to beach or repaint?

as to the tarting up comp challenge excepted, i thought you where the drill guy no ideas on my one?

adidat

That's a very impressive haul, I particularly like the gouges.

And the screwdrivers seem to be in pretty good or reasonable condition, which for tools that come in for a lot of abuse, makes a welcome change.

adidat":100pn9ro said:
... i thought you where the drill guy no ideas on my one?
It looks at least a bit like a Millers Falls to me - but I'm not an expert. Can we have a picture from the other side of the gear wheel, showing the crank handle? Most have a manufacturer's name and model number on the crank handle bar, although my MF No.12 has that info on the chuck.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":h60tjqol said:
adidat":h60tjqol said:
It looks at least a bit like a Millers Falls to me - but I'm not an expert. Can we have a picture from the other side of the gear wheel, showing the crank handle? Most have a manufacturer's name and model number on the crank handle bar, although my MF No.12 has that info on the chuck.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Chris

Nah mate...I only have um....a few....none look like that....

Jim

Vann":ve4mhd4r said:
It looks at least a bit like a Millers Falls to me - but I'm not an expert.
Then again, that "A" shape in the web doesn't look like any Millers Falls drill on the website (oldtoolheaven), nor in the 1939 catalogue (Rose Tools Inc).

Cheers, Vann.

Nice finds! I have the exact same drill. The only marking, apart from the upside down 'A' in the web, is a letter 'B' stamped on the back of the crank handle (you may have to extend it a bit).

I checked my catalogues and the closest I could get is a very similar drill made by Metabo in Germany. It is shown in this catalogue published by the late Chuck Zitur:

http://angels.galootcentral.com/chuckzitur/metabo.htm

It's the drill no. 18 on page 3 (see also their company web site: http://www.metabo.com/History.31075.0.html). The only differences are a letter 'S' in the web and the construction of the second gear. Oh, and the handle can be extended in three steps.

Wolfgang

Your freebie moulding plane

P1010576.jpg

looks to have a deeper curve to the iron than an ordinary hollow - so it might be a nosing plane - which are not as common. The difference is that a normal hollow will cut a sixth of a circle (and therefore the circle radius = the thickness of the body) whereas a nosing plane will cut a third or even a half of a circle. Used (not surprisingly) to cut the nosings on stair treads or window boards, so very handy if you were thinking of making any of those. (Or you could use it to plane long handles / broomsticks and the like.)

Also, it has the pale areas in the patina that show you where to put your hands, which I like.

Any maker's mark or other clues closer up?

Vann":wgtaxfp5 said:
adidat":wgtaxfp5 said:

Cheers, Vann.

thanks vann for the input as far as i can see no marks anywhere i have stripped the action down.

wjordan":wgtaxfp5 said:
Nice finds! I have the exact same drill. The only marking, apart from the upside down 'A' in the web, is a letter 'B' stamped on the back of the crank handle (you may have to extend it a bit).

I checked my catalogues and the closest I could get is a very similar drill made by Metabo in Germany. It is shown in this catalogue published by the late Chuck Zitur:

http://angels.galootcentral.com/chuckzitur/metabo.htm

It's the drill no. 18 on page 3 (see also their company web site: http://www.metabo.com/History.31075.0.html). The only differences are a letter 'S' in the web and the construction of the second gear. Oh, and the handle can be extended in three steps.

Wolfgang

also thanks wolfgang cant find a b on mine could you take some pictures of the handles on yours so i can try and get them sorted.

thanks
AndyT":wgtaxfp5 said:
Your freebie moulding plane

P1010576.jpg

looks to have a deeper curve to the iron than an ordinary hollow - so it might be a nosing plane - which are not as common. The difference is that a normal hollow will cut a sixth of a circle (and therefore the circle radius = the thickness of the body) whereas a nosing plane will cut a third or even a half of a circle. Used (not surprisingly) to cut the nosings on stair treads or window boards, so very handy if you were thinking of making any of those. (Or you could use it to plane long handles / broomsticks and the like.)

Also, it has the pale areas in the patina that show you where to put your hands, which I like.

Any maker's mark or other clues closer up?

hi andy

its had a hard life, missing pieces here and there an interesting point you have there, the distance across the curve is about 30mm and the depth of the curve is about 8mm.

the maker is griffiths of norwich

thanks guys

adidat

Here are some pictures of my drill. First two are from the same angle as your pictures. The others show the gear wheel from the handle side and the position of the letter 'B':

a_drill_01.jpg

a_drill_02.jpg

a_drill_03.jpg

a_drill_04.jpg

Wolfgang

Back