Car boot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

Well I thought I would pop along as it had been rubbish weather for weeks an I thought it would be busy, it was but not to many tools.
DSC_0065-2.jpg

The Goldberg 22" jointer was with 8 others
Most of them the sole was held on with one big dovetail but two had V grooves, this was the best one.
I think the groves run at an angle to the sole so appear as a wave at the edge.
£3.50 I could have bought all 8 for £20 but I am running out of room.
DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068-2.jpg

The bearing scrapers, rule and tank cutter where £4

The book is still sealed and was 50p I will leave it around to make me look clever :wink:

The tin of black crackle finish paint was £1 and the small carving tool was 50p WS Sykes on the blade.

Pete

That's fantastic...a true bargain indeed Pete! You missed a trick there ....and to answer Richard's question at the same time...there was a very valuable source of lignum vitae in them there soles....you should have bought the lot!! :wink:

Our trip out was yesterday...but I didn't want to be first up this week with the bargains (thanks Pete!)....

DSC_2120.JPG

I got my funds this week from the huge amount of great work that Annie did back at base stall! £170 from loads of tat out of her shed...£30 alone for a broken petrol mower and strimmer! So what did I get...

DSC_2121.JPG

Lovely drill set with bonus flat screw bit...£3

DSC_2122.JPG

Two breakers...probably out of date but ok for my workshop. £1 each.

DSC_2123.JPG

Don't ask! Those Swedes are bonkers! But I'm more bonkers...that will form part of my overhead lathe lighting system sometime soon! (50p) :mrgreen:

DSC_2125.JPG

A nice trio of tools here for the grand sum of £2. A Rabone boat level:

DSC_2124.JPG

....sitting alongside a rather nice adjustable angle bevel....and a really old mortice chisel (see some other threads!)

I spent a tenner on this....

DSC_2126.JPG

The reason was I needed something to shut the gate my son leaves open every single time...an exit for the workshop boss...ALFIE...

It is ages old...pre-1928 at least...by Edwin Showell & Sons of Birmingham.

DSC_2127.JPG

The dating coming from the last known date of the crucible "S" mark...still covered in golden plating!

This rare item is WAY too brutal for my gate...it would smash you in the face when her indoors walked through first! So it's going up for sale tomorrow....so if you want a proper gate closer watch out for it in the For Sale section this week!

I nearly got arrested walking around with this beauty...

DSC_2130.JPG

Nice old bit of Sheffield's best soon to be put back into service for my Sushi making! It is huge!! £3

And finally one of these...

DSC_2128.JPG

Cam screw clamping thing from a bike....I have a great idea for this too! 10p

Next.....

Jim

Nice!
Jealous of the bits - for a brace drill, presumably? (they'd be £8+ down here :-( ).
Love the sputnik thing!

Wow chaps you lot have done very well.

Jim that closer should be adjustable, and I love the knife need a bit of work but will be a cracker, needs a wooden handle.

I forgot to mention the rule next to the plane and just above the scrapers, looks like ebony/some other heavy hardwood to me.

Pete

Racers":2k63zxvh said:
...and I love the knife need a bit of work but will be a cracker, needs a wooden handle.

Pete

And some of the bolster grinding away - at present the concave blade edge can't fully cut all the way to the cutting surface!

BugBear

Racers":16c9drvb said:
Wow chaps you lot have done very well.

Jim that closer should be adjustable, and I love the knife need a bit of work but will be a cracker, needs a wooden handle.

I forgot to mention the rule next to the plane and just above the scrapers, looks like ebony/some other heavy hardwood to me.

Pete

Hi Pete....

Yup...the closer is adjustable...you take the tension off a bit...pull the pin on the side....rotate it to the next hole and bung it back in again...I tried it.

BUT....the first tension position is enough to slap you one serious blow in the chops for the gate I have which has little weight at all.

I think this model's levels are:

1) Farm
2) Gangster's Villa
3) Munster Mansions
4) Blenheim Palace

So it is really for the more "butch" models. But it is quality for sure...and since it's survived 100 years with the gold coloured plating still on...I figure it will go another hundred or so before the spring goes! It even has an oil port!

Yes...the knife will need a bit of a "reshape". I'm going to go for long and thin....and I think I will degrease the handle and just leave it as is....it's pretty old and I think may have cut a few chops in its life already!

That Fein is a serious bargain...of the week methinks! Closest I came was for a Lamello...but he wouldn't go below £50 and that was all I had in my pocket to start with. £20 for a Fein... =D> =D> =D>

Which model is it?

Jim

Hi, Jim

You could get another closed for the other side to slow it down :wink: :lol:

Pete

Racers":v3qqdyln said:
Hi, Jim

You could get another closed for the other side to slow it down :wink: :lol:

Pete

Nice one Pete!! :mrgreen:

I've been after something to close the darn gate...but I'm beginning to think I might need a force field to stop that little whizzer! :mrgreen:

I'll just stick it up for sale here...I've already had a tenner's worth of entertainment just researching the mark and Edwin's company. They make some amazing things of an ornamental nature....and even the Enfield Oiler for BSA rifles during the Great War!

I have a feeling this one should have been listed under "weapon" too! :mrgreen:

The mark puts it between 1894 and 1928....but possibly later...(I like that bit! :roll: )

Jim

Jim the Fein is the multimaster top

It works fine came compleat with everything bar 3 blades including the paperwork

Pete - would you mind popping back to get the other seven planes? :lol:
That price was absolutely ridiculous!

Btw, it's Goldenberg not Goldberg - which makes it a lot easier to search for!
The company was in Alsace, which swapped about a bit between France and Germany but was later absorbed by Stanley.
Wolfgang Jordan's site gives history and info on their multi-level grading system here.

It's possible that the sole would be cormier wood rather than lignum vitae - but I don't have any evidence for that except for knowing that it's widely used for French planes and is dark brown.

And if you want to see how that sort of 'varlope' was made, may I offer a repeat plug for the old Swiss planemakers video I mentioned before in this threadback in April

AndyT":3gvmj4d4 said:
The company was in Alsace, which swapped about a bit between France and Germany but was later absorbed by Stanley.

Once a world power but now sadly much declined :lol:

Hi, Andy

Thanks for the info, the sole is more of a dark brown colour and quite open grain so Cormer wood, I did give it a tickle up and test and it was leaving brown marks on some sycamore, its a difficult thing to set the cap iron isn't fastened to the blade, but it has a slot to clear the screw head in the body of the plane.

Pete

jimi43":ak3sc2pm said:
johnf":ak3sc2pm said:
Jim the Fein is the multimaster top

It works fine came compleat with everything bar 3 blades including the paperwork

Result! Well done!

Jimi

So much so, that it seems like a steal, most likely.

dickm":2hu8uauh said:
AndyT":2hu8uauh said:

I knew the Yanks were imperialists, but didn't know they'd annexed Alsace :lol:

Sorry......

=D> I was just about to say the same - sad, really!

Back