Car Boot Latest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Nearly didn't go today as the weather was rubbish, most people packing up as I got there but saw this little gem peeking out of a box of rubbish.
Didn't really know what it was but saw the patent mark of 1875 and grabbed it for a fiver!
I think its a Liberty Bell, whatever that is, anyone got any info please?
The rear tote is broken but otherwise all the finish is there, no rust but what looks like a small partial crack in the cap iron. The blade looks like it is not the original, marked Thos Ibbotson and another mark of some sort.
LB7601.jpg

LB7602.jpg

LB7603.jpg

LB7604.jpg

LB7605.jpg

LB7606.jpg

The sole and mouth are all clean and unmarked. The adjuster mechanism is unlike any I have seen.
Regards
Martin

Martin,

I stuck the date in to the DATAMP but the only vaguely relevant patent for that date listed doesn't seem right. The closest I got after a cursory search was this. I believe it's not unknown for these patent dates to be confused with patent application dates, so maybe...?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Martin, Nice find, I suppose you have to put some time in to find the good stuff. My experience of carboots is pretty grim but then I hardly ever go.
Peter

Alf wrote:
I stuck the date in to the DATAMP but the only vaguely relevant patent for that date listed doesn't seem right. The closest I got after a cursory search was this. I believe it's not unknown for these patent dates to be confused with patent application dates, so maybe...?

Which means? :? :? Sorry to be thick! Bear in mind that I just enjoy rooting about and finding this stuff and am not very well informed, though that may change...

There seem to be a couple on eBay in the US.
Please tell me more.
Regards
martin

Sawdust Producer":1d9yt10d said:
Nice find Martin.
Picture three, is that some kind of leaver ?
If so, for what ? obviously it did not catch on :shock:
It's the adjusting lever for moving the blade up and down.

Similar to the adjuster on the #95 and the adjuster for a later model #78 (and some block planes). It connects to a rod, which in turn has teeth which mate to grooves on the bottom side of the blade. Move the lever, move the blade.

Mike

Nice one martin, really gonna have to stop drinking on sat nights, and get my bum out of bed on sunday mornings.

Matt.

mahking51":2qrm2ubh said:
Which means? :? :?
Which bit? :D Well the patents listed for that date, none of them seemed to be relevant to that plane (stick the date in and see for yourself). So, as sometimes the tool makers got either a)confused, or b)sloppy, it seemed not unreasonable to see if there was something likely in the patents granted the following year - which would likely have been applied for the year before. i.e. 1875 Behold, one came up for the depth adjuster and the description "Used on the Stanley Liberty Bell planes." Mike's knowledge of B&G has revealed that you do indeed have a Liberty Bell plane (and not a lever cap from a Transitional, which is what I first wondered), so it looks like that's the applicable patent. The moral being; when you have a 'Murrican tool with a patent date, get thee to the DATAMP. If you have a British tool with a patent number, get thee to the European Patent Office. Either way, be prepared for it not to go exactly according to plan. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

It's just plane not fair...

I went to 2 car boots on sunday and not one plane, chisel, or anything vaguely woodworky in either of them.

Did manage to get 3 desk lamps (one anglepoise, one similar but not and a halogen) for the garashop for £4.50 though...

Latest posts

Back