Car boot - kettering 11/03/12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I went to my first car boot for the year this morning!

Went to wicksteed park in kettering, was a much smaller car boot than I expected and I only got one thing :).

Only 50p paid :). U very nearly brought a 'vibra-tool' but the lady wanted more than I wanted to pay. I'm not all that keen on buying electrical things at a car boot, always convinced they might be bust.

13314567867031.jpg

Attachments

• 13314567867031.jpg
    13314567867031.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 1,694
Lewis, wait til Saddington opens in April. You'll be spoiled rotten!
Or if you're prepared to get up EARLY, get yourself over to either Rushden and Diamonds, or the Mad Mile (when it's on).
Much better than Wicksteed.

How's the turning going, by the way. I saw a few of your projects and must say, I was very impressed.

All the best mate.

Adam.

Thanks adam, I went off saddington a bit last year but I'll give it another try, was really after an old metal Stanley jack plane but didn't spot any. Some LV bowls balls would be good too haha, quite fancy trying to make a LV mallet.

Really enjoying the turning! I've mainly been making some pens but I managed to fit in enough time to try a yo-yo the other day! That was fun :)

13314723290980.jpg

Attachments

• 13314723290980.jpg
    13314723290980.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 1,604
Hi Lewis...

Since you were the first bootfair thread up do you mind if I join you? 8)

Today is Kent was like a summer's day....even if I didn't buy much...it was fantastic!

The ever-suffering Annie manned our stall again with tat from the loft...(boy has that loft got some rubbish in it!) and made £42 after entry fee...not bad...but alas I only managed to do few of the hundreds of stalls....not good!

I took my normal £25...increased to £26 because of inflation over last year and ratified by George Osbourne! :mrgreen:

I didn't need much of it though....

DSC_0797.JPG

Now the radio is becoming my standard bootfair "float"....

DSC_0798.JPG

I just polish them up...(the worse they are the better!)....and then use them on the stall to listen to the radio until someone buys them...

DSC_0804.JPG

This multi-function "vintage" darling was £2 and will easily go for £20...next week thus giving me more tool float!!

So..to the tools..

I have needed a large die stock for ages...and this was a beauty....

DSC_0800.JPG

I need to find some stock bars for it but it did come with a very useful 3/8" BSW die...(you know what I need that for guys!!!).....and was only 50p...how could I turn that bargain down!? :wink:

Now I don't really need yet another vise...

DSC_0799.JPG

....but at only £2 and with an Acme screw to die for...(DOH!)....I couldn't resist...even though Annie's not speaking to me now as she lifted it out of the car by the thread....(everyone knows you don't do that wearing designer sweatshirts! - Women! :mrgreen: )

And speaking of the fairer sex....I think that I have got the bug ALF!!!!!

DSC_0802.JPG

I want to point out that these two are the start of many but they are ENTIRELY your fault...you encouraged me...oh and the £1 for two price tag!

But...one is a W.Marples....

DSC_0801.JPG

So....small haul...but only £5.50 spent...that leaves £20.50 to go towards next week's fund...which means I am only £20 short of having the money to buy a rather nice infill from a dealer...maybe! :oops:

Anyone else get anything in the sun today?

Jim

Fantastic haul!! Come on guys more the merrier!! We want to see more hauls! Love the radio!

I was looking over last year's car boot threads yesterday which was my motivation to get going this morning.

Some nice stuff there guys! You know it's summer when the population distribution of old radios becomes heavy towards Kent... :lol:

Still early in the season up here I think, quite a lot of traders selling rubbish, but a few finds

W.K. and C Peace tenon saw, steel back but nice and clean, lovely dark patina, seems old, know nothing about the maker!

002-16.jpg

003-10.jpg

Pig sticker, 3/16" by 'Brades'.

004-8.jpg

Abused Record Imp vice, don't need another vice, but well you know...

006-9.jpg

Nice to see boot-sale threads again, I do enjoy seeing what bargains everyone picks up!

El.

I went yesterday; first time I've been in along time when it hasn't been either a) Raining, b) Blowing a gale, c) Peak off-peak, or d) All three. Didn't get much; coupla of brace bits which may or may not clean up okay, but one's an improved pattern centre bit and t'other I think might be a dowel bit, to both of which I tend to extend a "Buy now, find out you've already got that size later" policy. Was just on my way out when I spotted this though:

fabrexgrinder01.jpg

A Fabrex Tools Ltd #433. Yeah, I need another hand grinder like Jim needs another radio, but I was lured by its sturdy tool rest. And look what's round the other side:
fabrexgrinder02.jpg

Drill bit grinding a go-go. \:D/

Only one problem with this excellent tool rest. Can you spot it kids? Yes, it doesn't tilt. But no matter, steps are in hand to provide a solution. So 6" wheel, spins nicely, all present and correct, and bought at 11 o'clock in the morning. So no, you really don't have to get up early or go regularly to find such things. At £7 it's easily the most I've ever spent on a hand grinder though; I beat her down but I couldn't convince her to go any lower and I was smitten. I dunno; must be slipping. :(

Jim, I'm taking no responsibility for anything. I'm sure I've issued all the appropriate warnings. Heck, I am an appropriate warning. :lol:

Attachments

• fabrexgrinder01.jpg
    fabrexgrinder01.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,557
  • fabrexgrinder02.jpg
    fabrexgrinder02.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,520
Here we go again ... Spring has sprung, the grass is ris ect.

It was our first of the year this morning and considering I had read L2wis' post before we went, :roll:, I don't think we did too bad at all.

DSCN0340.jpg

Woden #78 for me (as I've only got two Stanleys already :oops: ), Record vice #52P, #5 and and #0130 for my Brother in law.

And ... a flat paring chisel that I have been looking for for a couple of years

DSCN0344.jpg

And, wonder of wonders,the infill makers' dream - a 2 -1/4" parallel iron with loads of steel left and in good nick in the woodie.

DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

DSCN0348.jpg

All I need to do now is build a plane for it - my first proper panel.

Fantastic finds guys! Love the planes, exactly what I was looking for today! The hand grinder is a beauty too!! I wouldn't have been able to resist it the either and I think £7 was good!

@scouse: the tenon saw is very nice, did it set you back much?

I hate to say this Richard...but that iron looks distinctly unparallel to me! :wink:

As Lewis says...some wonderful hauls there today!

That wheel on your grinder ALF...looks rather tasty too...is it a fine one? I can't quite see the maker.

Two interesting finds cleaning my haul up...one rather pleasant and the other distinctly not!

Firstly...the other wooden shave is a C.S. Osbourne.....result! Oh...and it's blinkin' sharp...I cut myself on it thinking it wouldn't be! They both shave beautifully with just a simple hone....I am well chuffed.

BUT....the slight surface rust on the radio isn't...it's rat poo mixed with rat pee...my new puppy told me...and he sniffed out the pack of accessories still inside with an earpiece...a SW aerial and other plugs still in the plastic bag! Needless to say the radio needs cleaning and sterilising now!

Scouse...that IMP vise is lovely...I do believe they are quite sought after are they not?

Jim

L2wis":2h2tzfl2 said:
@scouse: the tenon saw is very nice, did it set you back much?

Thanks Lewis, just £4, the bloke had a few tools, but that was the only one worth having. The others included a Record 4 1/2 with a 3 inch open crack in the side running from the mouth which he insisted would not affect the performance, and for only £15!!! I politely declined... :shock:

jimi43":2h2tzfl2 said:
Scouse...that IMP vise is lovely...I do believe they are quite sought after are they not?

Thanks Jim, there appears to be a bit of a slope in the making, and a little story behind the imp vice, but I'll put it in a thread this week when I get a minute so watch this, or rather that, space! I have to say, rat pee or not, I love the look of that radio, real vintage!

I'm jealous of Richard's haul though!

While I'm at it, does anyone know anything about the saw maker 'WK and C Peace'? I've had a look but there isn't much online.

El.

I agree Scouse...the radio is absolutely HUGE...and they don't build them like that anymore!

DSC_0805.JPG

The inside is pristine...the sound is gorgeous...(with the greatest apologies for non-woodie pics!)

DSC_0806.JPG

...and even the accessory pack!

DSC_0807.JPG

Fairly wide coverage too....

DSC_0808.JPG

Anyway...that's enough deviation from the hand tools subject....sorry! :oops:

Jim

I suppose you could always argue that one of the virtues of just using hand tools is that you can have the radio on while you work - I do.

Looking at the accessory pack,

DSC_0807.JPG

would I be right in thinking that the thing with a sucker on is a coil to stick on the side of your telephone, to pick up speech by induction from its internal transformer? If so, then it implies that the big old wireless has an auxiliary audio input - which nowadays would be labelled as an iPod input - giving you the opportunity to have a lovely blend of old and new together!

(The connector might need an upgrade though - it looks a bit like an old 'banana plug' to me.)

I thought that at first Andy but I think it is a SW long wire antenna...the other sucker end being stuck on a convenient window or such.

It does however...have a DIN and miniature jack input aux...which is was switched to when I first tried it...confusing the hell out of me as I was getting audio hum but no reception! Good job I didn't get the soldering iron out before having a fiddle! 8)

It's the square panel on the inside pic. The box to the left and bottom is an AC power pack with 120/240VAC selection for international use and is removable for use with one million D cell batteries!

Jim

Scouse":25mrb3zo said:
While I'm at it, does anyone know anything about the saw maker 'WK and C Peace'? I've had a look but there isn't much online.
Hand-saw Makers of Britain puts Peace, William K. & Charles, Ltd (seems to be Ltd on your medallion?) between 1910 and 1915. Eagle Works, Mowbray St., Sheffield (& Birmingham) Pre-limitation, from 1860, same Works.

Richard, did you really steal that paring chisel for what it appears to say on the sticker? Sheesh.

Jim, the grinder wheel was the one supplied with the grinder - actually says so on it at length, but not was grade it is of course. D'oh. But seems fairly fine, which is not my preferred choice, but I'll see how I go with it.

Hi all, first car booty for me too and although i did pick-up something interesting i have no pics yet but wanted to ask about Fabrex, got a hand drill (wheel brace?) in a box of tools and it seems to be good quality but little known?
thx chris

Back