car boot find

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
OK not really woodworking, but I have been looking for one of these for ages £20

20200905_120031.jpg

I don't buy any power tools form the boot sale " Tool Stealers " Cough sorry Dealers , Most are from a small island next to Wales , Have gangs of them round my way all have 20 foot sq areas covered in power tools , A private seller with a saw / chisels / Plane , Thats different

I was at a boot sale when the police arrested a seller for selling stolen tools. transpired they had been nicked from a local farmer and he was at the boot sale and recognised his own stuff and plod very helpfully asked the seller to "help them with their enquires" or some such

Beware if your looking around at many tools in the markets or car boots...
The sellers may often be the ones who's after the... cheapest of all bargains!

I don't buy any power tools form the boot sale " Tool Stealers " Cough sorry Dealers , Most are from a small island next to Wales , Have gangs of them round my way all have 20 foot sq areas covered in power tools , A private seller with a saw / chisels / Plane , Thats different

Yeah of course, tar them all with the same brush, totally inconceivable that someone could be a genuine second hand tool dealer :rolleyes:
You wouldn't dare say that to their face I am sure, and I bet you phone the police and report every one you see?

Beware if your looking around at many tools in the markets or car boots...
The sellers may often be the ones who's after the... cheapest of all bargains!

The gent I bought the planer and mitre saw from was in his 70's/80's at a guess, He was very well spoken and very smart in appearance, Not your everyday shed looter type I feel! 👍😊

There's some sellers there that I wouldn't be so confident about!,I once bought a small darkwood table/stand for a couple of quid from a shifty looking fella, he asked what I wanted it for, I said to stand a Bonsai on, He replied that his neihbour had loads of Bonsai and then enquired what a bonsai would be worth- I said anything from a tenner to thousands of pounds for the top end ones, He asked then with a wry grin if I wanted to buy any! 😮 , I still don't know to this day if he was messing about or if he meant he would jump over the wall and grab some! 🤬

John..

Sounds plausible in your case, but my comment still has merit.
Any market I've ever been to probably had plenty of scouts taking note.
Maybe the car boots over your side of the foam is a bit less risky,
but where I live, I bet I would get noticed and be pure obvious if I spotted
something of interest, whilst attempting to pretend I have no interest of anything apart from the pub.
Even buying tools in the supermarket can be sketchy sometimes.
Out of sight, out of mind, as they say.

All the best

Whilst digging about in the garge a couple of days ago, I came across this dovetail jig/cutter,It came from the bootsale years ago, Never tried it out though!!

YIzUDya.jpg

K7W1Loz.jpg

Anyone ever used one or do you cut your dovetails freehand?

John (y)

It's an Arcoy, from the 1960s or thereabouts. Possibly the original dovetail jig, but doubtless someone will correct me on that. My lab pals ganged up and bought me one as a wedding present in 1968 and it's had some good use. Mine still works and I use it occasionally.

Routers were not popular then, so the cutter was held in and driven by an electric drill. Since cordless ones did not exist, it was possible to buy corded drills in a wider range. You need the highest power and highest rpm drill to use them. I am think of seeing if it will work with a Katsu router which may cut much better. Not sure if the original Arcoy cutters would work, or whether modern router bits could be found to match them, but I am inclined to find out.

It is easy to use and the registration is very accurate.

We moved into our bungalow last year and in the old shed I found this.

Barrus_ShaperCraft.jpg

I gave it a go today for the first time and using some old, rubbish, timber from a pallet this is what I got; not quite central so I need some more practice but quite pleased so far.

Result.jpg

I had a Wolfcraft version of that and I rather naively thought it would turn me into Rob Cosman (although I'd never heard of him in those days).
The fundamental problem is one of spindle speed. Router 26K rpm. Drill 2K rpm.
It matters.
S

Last edited:
Aaahh, that's clearly a clever front. 😇

Years ago I had loads of stuff to get rid of, I'd bought a new bench grinder that turned out to be not very good, I also had too many bench drills (Still do!) and a load of other stuff so I loaded the car and the wife and me went to a local bootsale, The chap that owned the field we were in bought the grinder and drill!

We'd taken a few CD's when they were fairly new (Just taken over from Cassettes!), They had gone so I asked the wife how much she sold them for, She hadn't! Some light fingered git had simply walked off with them whilst wee were setting up as there were about twenty people around the stall diving in to the boxes :mad: :mad:

Lots of people think the car bootsd are just for burglars to peddle their stolen gear but I reckon they would ebay it as much mo is realised on there than the bootsales (y)

Just been round the bootsale and bought a pack of belts for an old Black & Decker belt sander for a quid!, It's the small 465x65 one!!

John :)

Back