Car Air Con - do you follow manufacture service schedule?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a VW Touran 1.9TDI, 57 plate and the dealer is telling me to get an air con service now £80. Just spoke to a local garage and he says that lots of his customers don't bother with this and just deal with any problems if it stops working.

So should I get it serviced now or not do you think? What are the pros and cons of not getting it done now please?

Most problems occur because people dont use air con needs to be used for at least an hour once a month to stop it smelling foul. I never service on a newish car but my old car used to loose gas and need regassing at the start of the summer it lasted the summer then I got rid of car.

Most problems occur because people dont use air con

Agreed, air con needs to be used as the gas contains oils that keep the seals in good nick, if the system is not used the seals dry and the gas escapes. Ring round as £80 seems high ( I got mine done for £45)

i seem to remember paying about £50 for our megane, although not from the main dealer, so you may get a better deal by making a couple of calls.

Thanks flying haggis and marcros.

However I am wondering if it is necessary to service it at all? What do you think?

I was told mine needed refilling. It lasted a year or so and then stopped being cold so I got it serviced then. Up to you how long you leave it but it'll run out eventually.

I had my Touran's AC done at every yearly service, noticed a marked difference the first time it was done.

My car has climate control which I leave on all the time - never had to be serviced and the car is coming up to 5yrs old.

Rod

Harbo":27igxqw6 said:
My car has climate control which I leave on all the time - never had to be serviced and the car is coming up to 5yrs old.

Rod

Me too.

I was told it had to be done on my BMW 1st service (2 years) but I flatly refused and got £80 knocked off the price. I had already knocked them down by getting a quote from an independent dealer. Was still fine when I changed it 18 months later.

My current Audi will get similar treatment in due course.

Bob

Latest posts

Back