Captive rings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wood yew believe it !":2v86ozp8 said:
chas, no, didnt partialy hollow first, thought it a better idea to do indexing 1st as in my head thought it would be more "solid" for the actual forming as the "design" i had in mind was for a quite thin wall, dont know if that was right or wrong, flew by the seat of me pants really!

The safest way to avoid any catches I would think.

Nice work... a little protuberance half way up the stem would allow the ring to 'hang' for greater effect

No criticism implied or intended, it's just that I like to see them hanging :wink:

You mean like this?

Qualifiers.jpg

:D
Bob

Hi, Pete:
I did use a steadyrest while hollowing the bowls of the goblets, but once the inside was finished I removed the steady. The shorter ones I turned the stems an inch or so at a time, working back from the bowl to the foot without support. For the tall one I used a cone centre in the tailstock taped to the bowl and applying a little tension while turning the stem.

goblet%20insets.jpg

:D
Bob

Old age and rising damp can sometimes do that.... :lol: (whatever it was :roll: )

wood yew believe it !":2jyr0dm6 said:
graham, rising damp i'll grant you, but old age, im only in me thirties! or is that when it starts!lol :roll:

It starts in the early twenties but one's usually too busy to notice... until it's too late :lol:
(I'm in me thirties too, for the second time :wink: )

Back