Captive rings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Captive rings made easy… if you are adept with a skew it’s possible to make the rings using the toe of the skew; for those who can’t get on with the skew there are dedicated captive ring cutting tools available from the major tool makers.

You could make your own ring cutting tool but results are rarely encouraging; there’s a much simpler method of creating a captive ring masterpiece using just your ordinary turning tools. Turn a goblet in your preferred way but carefully measure the diameter of the foot; modern aesthetics demand that the foot is a few mm less than the ‘bowl’ dia. Turn a cylinder using a contrasting wood and carefully fashion a series of rings ensuring that the internal diameter is circa 1.5mm less than the foot of the goblet. Accurate measurements are critical to this process.

The goblet should be placed in the freezer for at least 12hours… wrap it carefully to avoid any food contamination … needless to say you’ll need the permission of the head of domestic trivia. The rings can now be treated in either a conventional oven (set at 160c)… at this stage you will have worked out that it’s not advisable to use a flammable finish! Treatment times will vary with the size of the rings e.g. miniatures will only require 5 mins.

Take care when handling very cold or very hot objects, thermal gloves are recommended. Simply slip the expanded ring over the foot of the goblet and allow to stand until the whole has achieved ambient room temperature.

Microwaving the ring is another option, provided that the ring has been dampened the ring will become flexible making the task a little easier...

Thanks for that Graham, do I bookmark it under 'Hot Tips' or 'Cool Processes' or just 'The 'First' of many':lol:

Nice one Graham. I look forward to April 1st 2008 for your next one. =D>

thought id give this captive ring thing a go.... not too much mickey taking please, this is a first attempt. i know the shape isn't great and the ring is too big for the form, i just wanted to know if i could do it

woodturningandstuff124.jpg

woodturningandstuff126.jpg

mahogany 15 cm/6cm briwax clear finish, with no captive ring tools, bowl gouge, parting tool, dome scraper and home made r angle parting/scraper thing

TEP Wrote
Nice one Graham. I look forward to April 1st 2008 for your next one.
I've started doing it :wink:
Paul.J.

Very nice,Dave - as you said,I think the ring is slightly "chunky",but the ring itself is technically excellent (I've got a captive ring tool,and would be pleased if it turned out as well as yours :D )

Andrew

WYBI Wrote
home made r angle parting/scraper thing
What is this :?:
I found a pair of old planer blades in me tool box the other day and wondered if they would be any good for turning tools,well scrapers etc.
Paul.J.

Thanks for that Dave.
I see now,said the blind man as he p..... all over the fire.
Something else i can have a goo at. :D
Paul.J.

So which part of the tool is the cutting bit.Is it just the point or as the bevel bevel got an edge. :?:
Sorry for the questions :roll:
Paul.J.

I have found that a very narrow bowl gouge can be used to cut the rings and I have a couple of dental picks which are ideal for seperating. Warning, don't forget to finish the rings off before you part them. They are murder to clean off and polish once they are loose.

If you want you can have them interlocking like this
candlestick.jpg

this attempt no 2, with a less "chunky" captive ring and a slightly decorative rim, its the other end of the piece of mahogany used for no 1, same dimensions and finish as no 1, am happier with it, (sorry bout fotos, must learn to take better ones but you get the idea i hope)
woodturningandstuff128.jpg

woodturningandstuff127.jpg

Them's some well trained woodworm you have there :lol:

Did yo partially hollow before fitting inserts, or fit them before starting?

chas, no, didnt partialy hollow first, thought it a better idea to do indexing 1st as in my head thought it would be more "solid" for the actual forming as the "design" i had in mind was for a quite thin wall, dont know if that was right or wrong, flew by the seat of me pants really!

Back