Captive ring tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Mahon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone used the Crown Captive ring tool? I got one last week and used it over the weekend with varying success - that is to say I ended up with captive rings, but they required a fair bit of hand sanding to make them vaguely presentable!

The instructions that come with the tool are brief to put it mildly, like "The tool cuts with a scraping action and should be used with the tool rest above the center line" and no amount of urning the scrp of paer over revealed more detils :roll:

So if anyone has any hints or advice i'm all ears!

Les

Les
fwiw I picked up one s/h and was similarly unimpressed...
for miniatures I use a modified allen key ...ground to a diamond profile (as u look at the business end)... it's a lot easier to use that the tip of a skew :wink:

Les Mahon":bi94r1tk said:
Hi all

Has anyone used the Crown Captive ring tool? ....I ended up with captive rings, but they required a fair bit of hand sanding to make them vaguely presentable!Les

The use of the tool is only for the end part of the work.
You must first work as much as possible with your gouges and then, and only then, use the Captive ring tool. In addition even new tools are not always sharpened. You should control that too.
Good luck. Your next captive rings will be shining without sand paper.
:)

The secret is a light touch and just before cutting through the ring, do the final sanding and polishing.
I've got both the large and the small size and (in the main) have found them very successful.
BUT KEEP THEM SHARP! :wink:

Thanks for the replies guys, might have a go again next weekend - I vaugely thought about theis weekend, but ended up making garden furniture instead!

I'll give it a hone, start the bead with the gouge and work gently and let you, know how I get on.

Welcome to the forum Jack!

Les

Hi Les,

I like my CRT's and used them recently to make some baby rattles. I found, after some disasters, that the best way to achieve decent rings was:

Turn spindle to desired shape and thickness.

Use tool to achieve uniform rings pivoting enough to cut "under" but leave enough to hold.

Finish outside of rings before cutting "free".

Turn the "inside" spindle to desired shape etc

Tape decreasing grades of paper to inner shaft and finish rings with lathe turning.

Perhaps I am stating the absolutely bleedin obvious but it worked OK for me!

Good luck,

Mick

Back