Captain Eddie's Sharpening Jig....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have seen some very interesting sharpening jigs when I have been looking online and the one that seems the best/most affordable design seems to be the one that capt. Eddie (youtube) has made. VIDEO

He is basically saying that he made his Jig for $2 which is a pretty good saving compared to the jigs that are available to buy.

Has anyone made one of his jigs?

If so then what parts do I need to get as the pipe he mentions is an american term and I am not sure of the uk equivalent and also the coach bolts don't seem to be long enough over here.

Any info would be great!

Hi

If you have the engineering tooling already available it is fine - but to buy the tap and wrench, metal cutting bandsaw blade etc. will add considerable cost.

Regards Mick

I have got a tap and die set in the garage some where and I have access to a band saw too which is great for this job by the looks of it!

band saw is a little overkill for this!

the only obvious issues are in getting a thick enough tube (of anything...) to securely fit the lower support bar and whatever you use as a threaded lock for the gouge.

internal dimension will need to take your largest gouge (ignore your roughing gouge as that won't need such a jig) and the external could be just about any size.

success will come from the correct position and dimensions of the pivot point and lower support bar relative to the bevel and grinder face so you may want to build in a little adjustment capability (normally being able to adjust the pivot point will be enough when combined with the length of gouge protruding.)

if you have the tap and die then just knock one up out of what you have around (you could even turn a 2" hardwood tube) and play

If you want to make something that basic and limited adjustment options then This would be my method, although the slightly more flexible version linked to gives much better profile options.

Chj, I plan on replicating your design when my pillar drill arrives later this week! Thanks for making the guide!

Here is a post on my google+ account with 2 pictures of the jog so far: https://plus.google.com/u/0/11800118211 ... QnymrW4FYX

Since then I've gorilla glued in the threaded inserts to the top (gouge holder) and the other one below, I'm going to consider making the walnut swing bit relatively fixable or atleast modify it so it cannot move from side to side, only backwards and forth.

Would have made a much better job had my pillar drill arrived however they cancelled the bloooming order so I thought I'd just get on with it as best I could without.

Also I've used some very nasty lumber.

Captain Eddie's water pipe is PVC not metallic. [i.e. plastic]

All wood will be just as good, easier to make and free using offcuts [just to help out all the son-in-laws :roll: ]

Back