Cappuccino machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive got a duce gusto pod machine that i hardly use. ( i dont like the pods, it was a gift a few years back )

I'd quite like to make cappuccinos at home and was just looking at options. There delonghi ones at 90ish, with a milk frother attachment and a swan one for 60 with the attachment.... so what do you have? Pros and cons etc please
I guess at this price range its ground coffee, the ones with the coffee grinder built in a probably 300 plus?
Edit: a customer of mine was using a cafetiere to froth the milk, hot milk plus a bit of sugar and pump away until frothy!

Anything that gets air in hot milk would do, whether it's a small whisk or a steam injector. Add a simple espresso machine and you are good to go, even a hob top percolator with a cheap hand grinder can make good espresso

Anything that gets air in hot milk would do, whether it's a small whisk or a steam injector. Add a simple espresso machine and you are good to go, even a hob top percolator with a cheap hand grinder can make good espresso

Try an air compressor great for frothy milk....all over the workshop!

Always used delonghi espresso bean to cup machines. If you have budget I'd check out Jura, they do some nice units. I'm currently eyeing up a Breville espresso machine though

I recently bought the cheapest de Longhi Nespresso compatible pod machine. It makes an excellent espresso but does not froth milk.

atomic.

Attachments

• ACM001.jpg
    ACM001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a delonghi bean to cup which is great, but then I used a smeg espresso machine with milk frother, the frother is 10x better than my delonghi.

Delonghi -
Pros -
one button coffee action
Easy to clean
Bean to cup
No ground coffee everywhere
Big unit

Smeg
Pros
Top notch quality
Milk frother superior

Cons
Seperate grinder machine required
There's more steps to making it
More parts to use

Opinion -

For quick and hassle free

Delonghi

For more precise and not in a rush coffee

Smeg

Good luck, hope you post some of your coffee art lol

I lived with a lady in Australia who had one fo those in the 90's, it was a great little coffee maker. I've been looking for one so thanks for the info.
in Australia there is a stainless version made that will work on induction hotplates but costs a fortune to get one imported, but I've found the aluminium gets it's shine back with some Mothers polish.

Attachments

• 71qpHEhe4zL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71qpHEhe4zL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
For several years now, I have been using a machine I bought from Lidl for about £40. It produces a very agreeable espresso and the milk frother is fine if you want a cappuccino with lots of foam (but not fine enough foam for fancy latte art!). I also have an old Spong hand grinder inherited from my mother which can produce a good fine grind.

I would avoid any machine that takes 'pods' - the pods are too expensive (although you can buy refillable ones from Amazon) and the machines are unreliable in the long term (in my experience) - we've been using a stovetop percolator and milk frother for the last three years or so, it produces the best coffee for the least investment - about £20.

Attachments

• Frother.jpg
    Frother.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • Pot.jpg
    Pot.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
Back