CAPITAL CRISPIN VENEER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toscageoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings

Capital Crispin have changed address

It is now

Unit 13 Gemini Business Park
Hornet Way
London
E6 7FF

020 8525 0300

www.capitalcrispin.com

They have a stunning range of veneer and I have just received excellent service from them.

I ordered 2 sheets of veneer and it arrived , carefully packaged, 2 days later

No affiliations etc

I went down there 3 months ago. They have been there near on 2 years. If you do go there they have a very large amount of stock. Pallet after pallet of veneer. There service is spot on. Highly recommended

I use them fairly regularly. (I even remember the old Crispin Veneers in the East End!). They were pushed out of their previous premises in Stratford by the 2012 developments.
Always extremely helpful. Enormous range and stocks, and staff will go through the bundles with you to find exactly what you want.
Their pricing structure varies according to species and quantity - they have, I believe, a price for single leaves, for half a bundle, and for full bundles. Clearly the single leaf price is going to be most expensive.
If you're there, it's always worth looking in their off-cuts boxes - you can pick up quite decent bundles (about a metre or so long) often some quite exotic species, at very reasonable cost.

I can also recommend them. I have used them fairly regularly and found there prices to be competetive. As has already been mentioned It is a lot more expensive to buy loose leaves rather than full bundles. I have always used mail order and recieved excellent service.

Jon

Hi

I have used them often and found there service to be excellent. THey are very good at selecting what you have requested over the phone, even burrs which are not easy to describe on the phone!

Agreed, the single leaf price is probably not so good, but bundles and half bundles are very competetive.

Chris

I've not bought veneer other than in small quantities, but what is the a definition of a 'bundle' -i.e is it always a specific number of leaves (and consistant across different vendors?)

I went to the old Stratford premises not long before they moved and got some fabulous veneers which met my needs to perfection and they were very helpful. My only criticism is that, as a relative novice when it comes to veneering, they sold me some thermoplastic glue film for putting the veneers (burrs) down; it was complete rubbish and wouldn't even hold the straight grained Ash I was using as backing. This cost me quite a lot of time and caused me an enormous amount of aggravation, not to mention wasting expensive veneer. I don't know if they are still flogging this stuff but my advice would be to avoid it like the plague. UF (Resinmite) glue did the job.

Speaking of UF glue (I'm a big fan) I understand it is all imported these days and comes from the same source regardless of brand. Resinmite is sold by AG Woodcare and is significantly cheaper than Polymite from Axminster. I have found ag very helpful and orders are turned round quickly. Recommended.

Jim

I seem to remeber about 7 - 8 years ago going to a veneer supplier near to Old Street just up from the start of the Hackney Road in London if memory serves me well. It was a really old world shop that took me back to the times of Jack the Ripper.

I remember the staff being really helpful.

Does that shop still exist?

Mick

That would have been Crispins as it was then; they were in Old Street with very Dickensian premises.

Jim

I used to call in to Crispins at their former premises and thoroughly enjoyed the experiences. They were excellent and knowledgeable then and if they're even half as efficient now, I would have no problem recommending them.

Woodwould":39b12f31 said:
I used to call in to Crispins at their former premises and thoroughly enjoyed the experiences. They were excellent and knowledgeable then and if they're even half as efficient now, I would have no problem recommending them.

Bloody hell that's a long way from Australia :D

MickCheese":2znnwnf9 said:
Woodwould":2znnwnf9 said:

Bloody hell that's a long way from Australia :D

It is, but back then I didn't live far away from them at all. Those were the days! :cry:

Back