Capacitor for Bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffajim

Reaction score
The capacitor blew on my Record Power RPBS12 Band saw and I saw an earlier thread that explained what to get to replace it. I have 2 questions, My band saw still runs without one so do I need to replace it-I'm guessing yes or why would it have one but I am curious as to why it still works.
In the earlier thread I saw it suggested buying a new one from Maplins and even had a link but it looks completely different to mine and mine is already wired. As I am not at all good with anything electrical the thought of doing more than replacing exactly like for like fills me with fear.
Any suggestions?

Can you post a photo of your capacitor and the motor plate
Modest sized pics can be uploaded directly into a message.
I can then hopefully suggest a suitable replacement and source.
Manufacturers official spares is often a very expensive way to buy a common component.
It can be the case that motors will run without the capacitor(s) but it is always best to run the motor as designed to get the best performance.

Bob

Hi, sorry to take so long to reply. I can't figure out how to upload the photo and I have tried with my mobiles camera and a compact camera. I shall list everything written on the capacitor. From top to bottom is:
FACON (brand name ?)
MOD 7G72160L6T
16 uF +5% b MK SH
450V.ac. DB HPFPU
-25/85 50Hz MP
a triangle with v, d & e in each of the points & 560-8 below
EL2 450Vac.cl.C
EN60252 -=25/85/21 po
400v.ac.DB HPFNT
500V.ac.DB HPFQV
08-99
MADE IN ITALY

The capacitor is cylindrical, grey in colour, about 3 inches long, 1 3/4 inches wide and has a black cable coming out of it which holds a blue and a brown cable. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bob. It looks exactly right so I have ordered one. Appreciate your help and I might get back to you if I can't remember how to fit it since it's been off so long :oops:
Jaffajim

Jim

Odered a simlar capacitor from Electric Motor Componenents on Saturday arrived this morning, Tuesday :lol: . Now got to fit it!!
John

Let me know how you get on. I feel like an silly person as I disconnected the old one and now can't be sure where the wires go. There is no obvious place for them either...

Jim
I'm going to my w/shop after my evening meal and will look at where the wires go. Made all the difference to my bandsaw, it now starts and up to speed as soon as I push the button and not like before where it was very reluctant to run.

Jim
Hope these snaps make sense :?:
John

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 156
Thank you for all of the advice. Capacitor arrived and it was the right one and it has been correctly attached.
:D

Back