• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Can't seem to find pressure treated CLS.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to make some garden chairs. Wanted to use pressure treated CLS but just can't find any locally.

So, wondering if anyone else has used untreated CLS for outdoor projects and, if so, how it lasted and what they did to protect it?

Cheer.

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It's bound to have a high sapwood content, as it's harvested from small plantation grown trees. If it's spruce, it won't last very long at all.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
It's bound to have a high sapwood content, as it's harvested from small plantation grown trees. If it's spruce, it won't last very long at all.
Would the pressure treated stuff last any longer if it's painted/sealed etc?

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
You'd need to seal and treat all the cuts you make, as you'll go through the thin layer of treatment each time you cut it.

I'm not sure what the availability of timber is in the UK, as I've been away for a while, but I'd be inclined to get some cedar or sap free oak from a proper merchant like Lathams if you can afford it.

hunter27

Established Member
Reaction score
Just just been making a 'Mud kitchen for outside' (don't ask) :) for my 2 year old grandson, I made it of treated decking and was very pleased with the quality of the wood I had delivered, I just treated any cuts with preservative. I was limited to the availlable sizes of decking and having the grooves but it fitted in with what I needed.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
You'd need to seal and treat all the cuts you make, as you'll go through the thin layer of treatment each time you cut it.

I'm not sure what the availability of timber is in the UK, as I've been away for a while, but I'd be inclined to get some cedar or sap free oak from a proper merchant like Lathams if you can afford it.
Budget is small so 'proper' wood is not on the agenda. I'll probably have a go with CLS I treat myself and see how it works out.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
Just just been making a 'Mud kitchen for outside' (don't ask) :) for my 2 year old grandson, I made it of treated decking and was very pleased with the quality of the wood I had delivered, I just treated any cuts with preservative. I was limited to the availlable sizes of decking and having the grooves but it fitted in with what I needed.
Like the idea of a 'mud kitchen' .
Missus wouldn't go for decking so I reckon I'll just have a go and see how things turn out.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Budget is small so 'proper' wood is not on the agenda. I'll probably have a go with CLS I treat myself and see how it works out.
If you use spruce, drill all your fixing holes and cut all your joints etc. then soak the parts well before assembly. I made a garden gate nearly thirty years ago that is still there - I pickled the parts in Cuprinol for two or three weeks before drying them out and putting them together.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
why not use redwood? the heart is fairly durable and it doesn't look like a stud wall in the garden. redwood is a bit resistant to wood preserver(as it's full of resin) but the sap and the end grain suuck it up.(I use water based these days) cedar and oak would be eye-watering in comparison(obviously much better though)
I make my adirondacks from redwood or sapele. rarely the other 2 simply due to cost. oak is also really heavy.
I paint them with barn paint.

Attachments

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
Chairs look good!
Like the idea of redwood, I'll see if I can find some near me.
'stud wall in the garden' ..lol

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
you need 8by1 par try and pick stuff that s mostly heart.(from the bigger trees) or the really resinous ones

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
my latest batch of 6 are in sapele painted in stone blue matched by a wonderful company called ankerstuy.
186 components altogether blasted out in 2 days! nearly £700 worth of wood.48 stainless coachbolts and nuts 96 washers.countless screws.now sanding and painting. also I found 1/5 of the timber was approaching unusable ie I couldn't get a straight 3/4 from inch boards. I'm beginning to think that hardwood chairs aren't worth the effort tbh

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I cut a piece of sapele years ago, about 300mm x 70mm. One half I could have used as a straight edge, the other bowed and wound as it came off the saw.

Reaction score
All from spruce … some with coloured preservative and wipe on polyurethane varnish . Some wood dye and danish oil .

Attachments