Cant link body cam wifi to my phone....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all....

So we're off on a holiday of a lifetime next week and i thought 'if you're going that far then get a cheap bodycam' (to supplement the camera...)

So went onto Amazon and bought an Asako ek7000, it came with a whole bundle of extras, including a two button wrist device that takes a pic or start/stops the camera film function.

Its also wifi enabled so you can download pics/footage etc to your phone/tablet and send it wazzing off across the tin-ter-net to jealous friends back home..... cept i cant get it to 'talk' with my phone :cry:

Yes i can enable the wifi on my phone (enter password etc) and the little cam screen says wifi enabled, but when i open the (recommended/suggested) software on my phone, ismart dv https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ismart- ... 38395?mt=8 it just wont connect :( anyone out there with a similar experience or ideas.?

Cheers guys.....

Nick

I don't know this particular cam but are you setting up the hotspot on your phone or just enabling the WiFi as you would normally when you use the phone at home on your WiFi?
I assume you need to setup your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect the cam to that.
Apologies if you already know this but it is difficult to guage people's level of understanding.
HTH
Matt

OK, As MrTeroo states, it looks like the camera acts as a WiFi Access point so you switch this on as per the instructions on the camera. When you go to the phone (an iPhone I assume given the link to the app that you posted), can you see the Access Point the camera has enabled? Should be called 'iCam-AKASO’.

You say the Asako connects to the WiFi OK but it doesn't connect to the WiFi, it effectively creates a Wifi signal for your phone to connect to. (Nothing to do with your existing wifi home network) It sounds like this is enabled OK. So next step is to get the phone connected to the camera as above. If you can do this, then next step is to open the app and add the camera to this.

As above I would reset the Wifi if you can't see the access point and try this step again.

Have you seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRsLSbdfIc. It might be a different model but the principles are the same.

Hi guys, yep i think i've done all of that....

Attachments

• image3.png
    image3.png
    54 KB · Views: 435
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 435
  • image4.png
    image4.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 435
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 435
Other than this little 'niggle' it really is a cracking little camera for the money =D>

I've tried it out on all the video settings, 4k, 2.7k, 1080p-60fps etc etc, and tried all the different picture modes, burst, timer, time lapse, 12 - 8 - 5 - 4 mega pixels.... and they all work fine =D>

The two batteries supplied and charging 'dock' are fine =D>

The enormous amount of camera mount accessories is amazing :shock:

Its just a shame i cant fathom what is normally just a case of 'click click click thats installed' nifty feature :cry:

OK - two things that don't look quite right. In the screen on your phone you have not selected the camera network, you are still on the virginmedia network which I assume is your home network, You need to select the iCam-AKASO network enter the password and make sure that connects.

The other issue is that the last screen you show with the connection error, there is no Wifi showing at all (there should be the little wifi icon in the top line). Instead all you have is Tesco's 4G mobile connection.

Can you get the phone to connect to the iCam-AKASO wifi access point?

I have selected the camera and i have entered the password.

If you’re saying i need to have the iCam-Akaso in place of where the virginmedia is (at the top) then the wifi signal disappears and reverts to 4g.

I’m under the impression i turn on the cam wifi, see it on my phone wifi setting screen, select it and enter the password, the phone stays connected to virginmedia, open the software the two find each other and ‘shake hands’ and thats it job done....

NikNak":2ufg9h27 said:
I have selected the camera and i have entered the password.

If you’re saying i need to have the iCam-Akaso in place of where the virginmedia is (at the top) then the wifi signal disappears and reverts to 4g.

I’m under the impression i turn on the cam wifi, see it on my phone wifi setting screen, select it and enter the password, the phone stays connected to virginmedia, open the software the two find each other and ‘shake hands’ and thats it job done....

Yes that is what should happen but it looks like you are not keeping hold of the iCam-Akaso wifi for whatever reason. There can be a few reasons for this and a few sites that suggest different issues that affect iphone wifi connectivity. I would have a look at these. They suggest various things to switch on and off. If you have any other devices / phones it would be worth seeing if they will connect. You will need to be in close proximity to the camera because the signal from it won't have a very big range. I also think there is a facebook support page for these cameras which might be worth a try. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Good luck!

"I’m under the impression i turn on the cam wifi, see it on my phone wifi setting screen, select it and enter the password, the phone stays connected to virginmedia, open the software the two find each other and ‘shake hands’ and thats it job done...."

I doubt it will work if the phone stays connected to VirginMedia.
It will only work if the phone is connected to and there is a tick next to iCam-ACASO

Did you reset the network settings on your iPhone as described in the link I posted above?

As said above, you need to connect to (have the tick next to) the icam wifi signal.
Your phone can only connect to one wifi channel at a time.
From what I read your camera when instructed to do produces the 'wifi signal' that your phone then connects to and enables the running app to connect to the icam.

Try deleting (Forget) the icam wifi and then re-discover it and re-connect. Don't forget that the cam must be 'emitting' the wifi signal when you connect.

As Nev says, you need the camera to send a WiFi signal to your phone, like this with an older cam:

ve2dwFc.jpg

Select the connection and you have this:

n5NGjXG.jpg

One thing that Noel's screenshots show is the "Ask to Join Networks" is switched off. Worth trying as I wonder if the phone is deciding to attach to your home wifi in preference to your camera as the signal is stronger. If you can try somewhere away from your virginmedia Wifi (or turn it off temporarily) it might be worth a try.

Well i've tried everything.....

switch this (hammer)
switch that (hammer)
virgin on (hammer)
virgin off (hammer)
reset reset reset (hammer)
delete app (hammer)
reload app (hammer)
this phone (hammer)
different phone (hammer)
even ipad (hammer)
blue tick on (hammer)
blue tick off (hammer)

have run out of ideas
and run out of time.... as we're leaving tomorrow 8)
so will look again when we get back, my gut feeling is its dodgy software on the cam, well.... it was cheap after all

Like i said previously its not a 'deal breaker' more a useful feature... if i can get it to work :(

see y'all in 3 weeks time..... :mrgreen:

*** STOP PRESS ***

So after doing yet more you tubing i found a guy doing a review of a Wimius Q1 action camera.

These dinky ickle cams are very much like the lathes you can buy.... they're all identical just different colours. I recognised the Wimius Q1 as being near identical as my Asako, so watched the video with interest, waiting for the moment he said "download xyz app to your phone..." the xyz in this case was something called Wimius XDV.

So having already tried a good 1/2 doz or so different apps i downloaded this one.... and BINGO it works..!!!! =D> =D> =D>

I'm convinced i was right re the 'software' issue, and this particular app just 'works' on my camera/phone combination (hammer)

Very clunky, and very sloooooww to transfer files, but heyy... i get to send pics of our adventures to family at home within a few hours :D

I may even post the odd one back here.... just to prove it works you understand... not gloating at all :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your input and suggestions tho =D>

Nick

Back