Can't decide between Record BS300E or SIP 01548 bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmoorphil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I want to finally take the plunge on a bandsaw and had narrowed it down to the Record BS300E at £519. Then I found the SIP 01548 at a bargain price of £450 so I am now in a quandry.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the quality of the record power was superior to the SIP so I am torn between quality or performance.
To be honest the 300E will probably be enough for me but the thought of the extra power and capacity for less money is also appealing.
If anybody has any experience of either or could offer any advice on the best option I would be grateful.
Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil, i'm afraid I can't comment on the exact SIP model you mention but I did have the slightly smaller 12" version. I've got to say that I found it to be a good honest machine. In fairness it took a little fettling initially but once I had it set up and a decent blade fitted it did everything I asked of it, including resawing some 6" wide sapele. I only got rid of it because the chance of a cast iron framed Jet presented itself and temptation got the better of me. I am really pleased with the Jet but only because I am shallow and think it looks nicer, I can determine no noticable improvement in performance and would say that if I where in the market for another saw I would be quite happy with another SIP.
I make these observations as a hobbyist user not a professional but I think both the machines you mention are aimed squarely at that market.
Hope this helps, if I can tell you anything else please ask.
Regards
Richard

Thanks for your view Richard, given the price I am leaning now toward the SIP. I will be using it mainly for wooden toys and bandsaw boxes as a hobbyist, so I reckon the extra power would be good for the boxes. I found a review in woodworker and woodturner and they gave it 5/5 for value for money and 4.5/5 for performance. They seemed very impressed with it so I am on the cusp, debit card in hand!

I'd probably go for the SIP but don't be put of by the Record's 800w - it's more than enough for what you want to do. Whichever you decide on I expect you'll need to replace the blade for a better one.

Well, finally made a decision and went for the Record 300E. I decided to go with my gut and that was the one that I had initially decided on. The few comments I had read about build quality also helped convine me. The 5 year guarantee is also an advantage and DM tools had a discount on it (and I had £5 loyalty) so paid £523 delivered.
The SIPs are out of stock everywhere anyway and it looks like a shipment isnt due until the end of August on a slow boat from China.
I had already spotted the overwhelming rtecommendations for Tuffsaw blades Steve so I will order some this afternoon.
Just need to save a few pennies now so I can buy your DVD set too!
Thanks for your input guys - wish I had been born more decisive!

redmoorphil":2rz0yrwy said:
I found a review in woodworker and woodturner and they gave it 5/5 for value for money and 4.5/5 for performance. They seemed very impressed with it so I am on the cusp, debit card in hand!

Hmmm, I wonder who wrote that?????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hope I haven't made the wrong choice Roger!
Having slept on it I wondered about changing my order to the 350s and then thought about the SIP being just about the same spec as the 350 for £200 less.
Why isn't life simple? I thought the table saw choice was difficult but bandsaws take the biscuit.

Decided to cancel my order for the 300 and have found a 350S for under £600 delivered so finally went for that. Feel a lot happier with my decision now!
(Happier than my wife who gave me a £400 budget)

I am looking to get a Record BS350S but haven't found anywhere selling them for under £599. Where did you get yours? How do you like it?

For that price I guess it has the basic stand with two wheels at the back. How easy do you find it to move around? At £50 the 4-wheel pedal stand seems rather expensive so I won't bother with it if the 2-wheel stand is manageable.

Thanks

I should have been more specific - I meant £599 including VAT. The £533 in the link above has VAT to be added making £640 which seems to be a fairly common price in several suppliers, and delivery is extra.
So if the <£600 including delivery also includes VAT, it's a fantastic deal!
Where is it to be found....?

hamlet":79vevv0v said:
I should have been more specific - I meant £599 including VAT. The £533 in the link above has VAT to be added making £640 which seems to be a fairly common price in several suppliers, and delivery is extra.
So if the <£600 including delivery also includes VAT, it's a fantastic deal!
Where is it to be found....?

.... so I now see - not very obvious is it? #-o :evil:

Hi guys,
I bought mine at toolite.org.uk and the total cost was £598 inclusive of vat and delivery so about £40-£50 cheaper than the next cheapest I could find.
Heres the link: http://www.toolite.org.uk/record-bs350s ... 11553.html
I ordered it online in a Sunday and then had to call to give my card details on Monday - It then arrived on Tuesday so brilliant service.
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use it yet as it arrived just after I had surgery and I wasn't allowed to do any lifting (This thing is heavy!)
I have now finally got it on its stand and just fitted the table and fence a couple of days ago.
I am very happy with the build quality though - solid as a rock, with a couple of exceptions - the blade guide mount is a cube of cast steel with a hole drilled through it. the blade guides fit into this hole then are tightened in place with a grub screw. Mine was cracked on arrival - obviously tightened too much but Record Power sent me another immediately. At a push I reckon I could make another from hardwood that would actually be stronger - just don't over tighten anything.
Exactly the same problem happened when i attached the fence - there are two t shaped cast metal fittings that the bolts go into but they are so thin they break if tightened. I already knew about this from a review so replaced them with bolts and the fence is now solid. Minor problems and they wouldn't put me off purchasing it again.
The standard wheels that came with it (two at the back) are worse than useless. They are fastened to the stand and are angled outward so when you tip the saw to use them they act against each other so you end up dragging them across the ground. I don't intend to move my saw much but I will still buy the better wheel set as soon as I can. Moving it with the standard wheels is not easy at all.
I also bought a couple of 14 tip 1/4 inch blades from tuff saws as I intend to make toys and bandsaw boxes mainly. Blade change and tracking was a doddle thanks to the quick tensioning lever and the tracking knob.
Now that I am recovering my wife is letting me back in the workshop again so fingers crossed I will actually get to use it this week!

Back