Cans or Bottles, Can you tell the difference?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful guys Stella is from Glasgow and she has feelings, and relatives spread far and wide throughout these fair land's
:p

The when and where, the circumstances and the reason I won't go into but I sold 6,800 pints of different beers through the the wrong fonts with only two people saying they didn't think they'd been served the correct beer.
I dealt with a refrigeration engineer who told me that in all the years he'd visited a particular pub in Plymouth he had never known the kegs on one end of the lines to match the fonts on the other.

Stella isn't as common here in the states (though we have commercials). My English friend here told me that I should only drink it if I plan on rioting publicly and setting fire to stadiums seats.

But of the local brands here, the cans and bottles taste drastically different when tasted from the container. I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between any of them if they're poured into a glass, but cans are about 10-15% cheaper.
I wonder if it's anything to do with having fillings in your teeth?

I'm specifically talking about Stella?
I only buy bottles stella as I say it tastes nicer, but a mate thinks I'm talking rubbish and says it's tastes the same as cans. But I don't really like the taste of cans.

Just wondering if you agree with me or have an idea why? Lol
I tend to prefer bottled beers over cans. It might be just psychosomatic but whatever makes you happy :)

Ah, memories of drinking cans of special brew and Tennant's extra (aka "electric soup") in the graveyard with my mates .... Happy days

I bought some cans of Carling.
Lovely.
I bought some again. Same place.
Terrible.
I wrote to Carling asking why they tasted so different.
They asked me to send two cans, one of each in a prepaid package.
Luckily I still had some of the original case.
So they wrote back.
Everything was fine. No problems with abv, chemical make up etc.
however
One was brewed in Glagow and one in Burton on Trent.
They explained there were water quality differences between the two brewing areas.
Burton used spring water, Glasgow used????
They told me usually folk can't taste the difference however some people have higher taste sensors.
Where I had purchase them was on the delivery boundary of two breweries so it was pot luck which was held in stock.
They gave me the code of the Button brewery made beer and asked that I look on the cans to get the correct one.
So it's not just bottles and cans. It's where the water comes from and where it was brewed also.
And yes, before you ask.
They gave me and the wife free flights to Barbados for helping out.😂
Historically the water made a massive difference to the brew - hence why Burton upon Tent became a centre for brewing. They even tanked the water to other places years ago. However, most modern breweries now completely de-mineralise the water and then add back what they want to achieve consistency. Lot of snobbishness about on this thread. For what it's worth I just don't like drinking out of cans and pouring packed lager into a glass is awful. That being said, if it was a choice of that or nothing

Historically the water made a massive difference to the brew - hence why Burton upon Tent became a centre for brewing. They even tanked the water to other places years ago. However, most modern breweries now completely de-mineralise the water and then add back what they want to achieve consistency. Lot of snobbishness about on this thread. For what it's worth I just don't like drinking out of cans and pouring packed lager into a glass is awful. That being said, if it was a choice of that or nothing
The difference in water is also why coca cola tastes different in different areas/countries. The syrup used is the same worldwide but the water has different tastes resulting in coke that can taste different.

Glass is 'more' inert than other used materials and least likely to absorb anything contained within it. Plus, the polymer used to line cans may (on a teeny-weeny level) absorb soluble flavour from the liquid. :unsure:

I miss the designs on the back of Tennents cans, ho hum
1614250654303.png

The ultimate Snakebite "Tennants Extra and Scrumpy" . True Devon scrumpy though!, absolutely lethal.

I find drinking from cans slightly hazardous, as my mustache sometimes gets snagged in the pull tab. (I'll risk it if necessary though)

The difference in water is also why coca cola tastes different in different areas/countries. The syrup used is the same worldwide but the water has different tastes resulting in coke that can taste different.

Not altogether so. Some areas use cane sugar and others use corn syrup.The label on my Pepsi can (better than Coke :rolleyes: ) says "Glucose-Fructose and/or Sugar" among the ingredients. Beer is made with whatever is handy. Spring water, river water, angel sweat or anything else that is handy goes into beer.

By the way. What is ABV?

Pete

I have 3 kinds of Rickard's in the fridge :oops: and they are 5%, 5% and 5.4%. There are lots with more. Perhaps to keep them drinkable when it gets cold in the ice fishing shack. ;)

Pete

Back