Cans or Bottles, Can you tell the difference?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Pallet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm specifically talking about Stella?
I only buy bottles stella as I say it tastes nicer, but a mate thinks I'm talking rubbish and says it's tastes the same as cans. But I don't really like the taste of cans.

Just wondering if you agree with me or have an idea why? Lol

Stella isn't as common here in the states (though we have commercials). My English friend here told me that I should only drink it if I plan on rioting publicly and setting fire to stadiums seats.

But of the local brands here, the cans and bottles taste drastically different when tasted from the container. I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between any of them if they're poured into a glass, but cans are about 10-15% cheaper.

I haven't had a stella for a long time, but if it's strong beer the only choice is tennents super. I hear they have reduced ABV in this as well.

Rather interestingly the can should be a better beer (although its stella so it's never going to be good).
This is because sunlight degrades the aromatics and encourages reactions between chemicals within the beer and produces what is nicely known in the industry as skunking. Its part of the reason that heavy hopped beer bottles are brown and why live expectancy is different between canned and bottles. Its also the reason that good craft beers tend to come in cans.

Basically your mate is right, there is a difference but not for the reason you think.

Also, try a decent beer or two and stop encouraging the mass produced dung.

I bought some cans of Carling.
Lovely.
I bought some again. Same place.
Terrible.
I wrote to Carling asking why they tasted so different.
They asked me to send two cans, one of each in a prepaid package.
Luckily I still had some of the original case.
So they wrote back.
Everything was fine. No problems with abv, chemical make up etc.
however
One was brewed in Glagow and one in Burton on Trent.
They explained there were water quality differences between the two brewing areas.
Burton used spring water, Glasgow used????
They told me usually folk can't taste the difference however some people have higher taste sensors.
Where I had purchase them was on the delivery boundary of two breweries so it was pot luck which was held in stock.
They gave me the code of the Button brewery made beer and asked that I look on the cans to get the correct one.
So it's not just bottles and cans. It's where the water comes from and where it was brewed also.
And yes, before you ask.
They gave me and the wife free flights to Barbados for helping out.😂

Back in the 70's canned beer's on board ship was notorious for not traveling well (n)in fact after a good few thousand miles and several months even a decent brew at home would taste like :poop: on board . I prefer a bottle over a can any day of the week but would not refuse a drink when thirsty just because it was in one :cool:

That's why it's commonly known here as Stella Actatwat or Wifebeater.

"tank top" shirt was also specified as mandatory while drinking by said friend. Also referred to as "wifebeater" shirt here, but I can't imagine that name for what used to be a common undershirt will survive cancel culture.

Doug , My wife tells me :cry:o_O
I think this chap could have done with a wife like that 😂😂
D438B585-9924-4A31-82B0-EB9EBE257098.jpeg

There was a brewery called Devenish in Redruth and Weymouth, Weymouth being the larger. They brewed an excellent pale ale called Wessex which was a big seller. Some clown decided to transfer the brewing from Redruth to Weymouth and within a few months they'd lost probably 80% of the sales and it was discontinued. That's the difference the water makes.

Back