Canopy Roof Matterial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to build a wee canopy/sitting area adjacent to the shed. It's pretty straight forward, 4” thick brackets from treated timber to hold the weight of the roof, and the sides will be done from treated t&g fencing boards. But I’m not sure what to use for the roof. I’ve seen some corrugated sheets at my local builders merchant, but they look like a farm shed. Any recommendations would be great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 11.22.21.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 11.22.21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Marley Eternit synthetic slates look good and easy to fit. They are light and so no real extra consideration needed for roof loading with small areas like yours.

Twin wall polycarbonate. It's relatively cheap, doesn't go brittle & you can walk on it without any fear of it breaking.

Myfordman":uzsq9yem said:
Marley Eternit synthetic slates look good and easy to fit. They are light and so no real extra consideration needed for roof loading with small areas like yours.
They won’t work as I’ve just seen that your roof is too low a pitch for slates to seal.
Rubber would be a possibility.

@samhay
50 year old slate roof, its now quite a bit weathered and full of moss, maybe I should look for used slates. But the problem with slates, they are heavy and I would need do make a proper roof structure, battens or whatever they are called, more complicated, more weight, more expense. etc.. hm time to think.
I quite like the idea of imitation roof sheets that sunnybob has suggested. If I can find something like that locally at a reasonable price I would go for it.
thanks Myfordman and Robbo3 too.

Back