Candle Holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
SWMBO bought a largish candle and gave permission to go out to the workshop to create a small platter-like holder for it. :wink:

Anyway, this was one of those time when you really feel that something is going to go wrong. :?
Usually, when I get that sort of feeling, I just walk away and leave it to the next day. This time however, I hadn't turned anything for quite a while so decided to get on with it.
Donning as much protective gear as I could find, I proceeded to select a piece of wood, (you never know when fate will hit you), and picked out a small piece of silver birch from my lathe's ballast.
I then actually used three different techniques that I had very little prior experience with; a screw chuck (supernova one), using a spigot and then a jam chuck to clean up the base.
And blow me down! I didn't have a single problem! Was expecting the piece to do a flyer at any time but it didn't. :roll: Everything went to plan, apart from a couple of visits back to the house to separate fighting children.
Best of all, LOML was well chuffed with it. Then promptly buried it at the back of the fireplace behind all the tacky metal candle holder that she's collected. :evil:

Anyway, here's a couple of piccys, not much to look at but it worked out well.

Candleholder.jpg

candleholderwithcandle.jpg

Hi Barry,

That's excellent. When I read silver birch I rather expected the appearance of the wood to be somewhat bland, but the piece you found has really nice figuring.

The glass to the right of the candle in its holder looks quite interesting, too! :wink:

Did you turn the table top? :shock: :shock:

Cheers,

Trev.

Barry

Very nice holder, I really like the wood pattern, what did you use to finish it and what protection is there against hot wax?

I started a bowl about 6 weeks ago, its still on the lathe waiting for the finishing touches. Only being a nivice turner I do a little at a time.

I'll show Pic's when I eventually get it finished.

mudman":2kb072cu said:
Anyway, this was one of those time when you really feel that something is going to go wrong. :?
Uh-oh, I thought. But no, it all went swimmingly, and bootiful result. Excellent. :D

mudman":2kb072cu said:
Best of all, LOML was well chuffed with it. Then promptly buried it at the back of the fireplace behind all the tacky metal candle holder that she's collected. :evil:
D'oh. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Nice Job Barry. I am still too nervous of my lathe (and skill level) to attempt a bowl :oops:

Hi Mudman,

Nice work.

Remember it's always advisable to have a metal insert or barrier of some form between the candle and the timber. Even if you don't intend to use the candle someone may come along at some stage and decide to light it.

Regards....Mike

Well, thanks for all the comments. It was only a little thing though. :? Just thought it was about time I shared a piccy and due to the surprise at it all going well first time, I thought I'd show off this one.

Trev,
It is quite a nice piece of wood. It was a large bit I saved from a really big birch that was felled last year when they were moving the pylons on the Heads of The Valleys Road. It seems to have a large amount of crotch wood all over it so I hope to get some other nice pieces out of it.

The glass is quite nice, and, ahem, ribena in it, 'onest guv. :wink:

Can't claim any credit for the table top. Just a bog standard mfi type thing. Though that did put me in mind of a chap I know who is a tree surgeon. Had a large piece of burl that he wanted to turn a table top from. Last I heard, he was contemplating taking the wheel off his truck to use as a makeshift lathe. Will have to find out how he got on.

Waka,

The finish is just a couple of coats of Chestnut's Woodwax 22. I really like this wax as it dries so fast and buffs up to a lovely finish.

Mike,

The candle in the picture, although wax is actually just a holder for a smaller candle inside. So, in theory, there shouldn't be any exposure to heat. (I hope).

Latest posts

Back