Cancer warning....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
Just in case any of you were in any doubt, I was doing some research on MDF dust toxicity the other day.

The good news is that pound for pound, it is no more of a health hazard than any other softwood dust - which is not regarded as a carcinogen by most of the 'authorities'.

The bad news is that it is less of a hazard than hardwood dust, because that, on both sides of the Atlantic, is regarded as a carcinogen...

I must admit, it made me sit up and think a little. I always put a mask on for MDF work, just because of the volume of dust created. But there are occasions when one is working with some nice piece of oak or whatever when you can be cheerfully generating some of that nice smelling hardwood dust - and it's the exact equivalent of smoking a damn cigarette!!

Sure you all knew - but it's worth reminding ourselves now and again...

Speaking as one who just had a 10x20 cancerous lump removed, I say that precautions are well worth it - although mine was not caused by smoking (I never have) nor wood dust

Being diagnosed with cancer is pretty scary :shock:

everyone you meet these days knows someone or has a family member who has or had cancer it's not just caused by smoking or saw dust. If we knew about everything that causes it we would all stay in a sterile bubble. But we should all take safety precautions whilst in the workshop no matter what materials we use. Your mask should be the first thing you put on and the last thing you take off (coming from a smoker thats pretty rich :D )
dont forget the 3 rules safety, safety & SAFETY

A good article on MDF can be found here
This was written by Keith S (woodsmith) who is also a forum member and magazine contributor (The Woodworker)

I always wear a dustmask in the workshop and looking at it after a few days i always think it is worth it, the mask changes from white to.....
so thinking all that dust would have taken its way in my lungs...

Another aspect inspite of cancer is the allergic potential of same wood species.

Regards
Rolf

Back