Cancer risks using epoxy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you hear bacon got classified as a group 1 carcinogen ?

You've got to be ever so carefully now a days .. why is it that all the best stuff in the world kills you ?

Did you hear bacon got classified as a group 1 carcinogen ?

You've got to be ever so carefully now a days .. why is it that all the best stuff in the world kills you ?
I think the big problems with epoxy resin. Is the ratios to mix it for a full complete100% cure has to be dead accurate and thoroughly mixed. I’ve watched my boss pour 10 gallon river table pours and just quickly stir the two parts before pouring. And then complain why it’s taking a week to cure. And then he sands the improperly cured resin. Which is then getting the improperly cured resin dust everywhere. That’s the chemicals that are deadly to lungs

It's not just the cancer risk - I know a couple of people who have had to stop using any type of epoxy at all, as they've become dangerously allergic to it. If you have to use it, use the proper PPE!

G.

I think the big problems with epoxy resin. Is the ratios to mix it for a full complete100% cure has to be dead accurate and thoroughly mixed. I’ve watched my boss pour 10 gallon river table pours and just quickly stir the two parts before pouring. And then complain why it’s taking a week to cure. And then he sands the improperly cured resin. Which is then getting the improperly cured resin dust everywhere. That’s the chemicals that are deadly to lungs

Seems its a lot like asbestos, at least in the fact that it's the dust that kills you.

Thank you for pointing this out I will remember for future reference

I think developing allergy is the most common malady that folks get from working with epoxy resin. It can strike as soon as you go near the stuff with some people, others can work with it for years before being affected, and some just don’t seem to suffer at all (yet). Its highly prevalent in the boatbuilding sector.

I have just spent 20 minutes trying to understand how much credence to give this article.

There are no obvious links to any site with known reliability - eg: FDA, EU, major hospital or university research.

The credentials of Environmental Health News who produced the article are less than convincing - no major funding sources of repute or legacy of trail-blazing science reporting. They may be (although possibly unfair) a bunch of cranks.

Without spending a lot more time than I am prepared to - it would be unfair to suggest it is without foundation, that all materials should be handled with care is sensible, but on a scale of 1 to 10 it scores about 3 or 4.

I have just spent 20 minutes trying to understand how much credence to give this article.

There are no obvious links to any site with known reliability - eg: FDA, EU, major hospital or university research.

The credentials of Environmental Health News who produced the article are less than convincing - no major funding sources of repute or legacy of trail-blazing science reporting. They may be (although possibly unfair) a bunch of cranks.

Without spending a r in its infancy but lot more time than I am prepared to - it would be unfair to suggest it is without foundation, that all materials should be handled with care is sensible, but on a scale of 1 to 10 it scores about 3 or 4.
Here is one from the national medicine library. Nobody has studied this stuff it seems but nothing I’m finding is good !?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30366299/

Here is one from the national medicine library. Nobody has studied this stuff it seems but nothing I’m finding is good !?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30366299/
It’s like everything , we know xylene is highly cacerogrnoc, it’s in all lacquers. It’s banned in places. But I use it everyday with a full Ppe when I spray wood. I try and use water base products but if you read the ingredients on the water base products they are sometimes worse for you . You just can’t smell them so you think it’s safer. It’s not! Industry always tries to fool you. Look at the electric cat infustry . Child labour digging lithium, mines killing people in third worlds due to no ppe mining this stuff. People thinking plugging there car in is green. When the power comes from a nuclear or coal fired plant.

Life is pretty short any way.
Just do ur best.
I try n work outside with the dodgy stuff
Have a nice chair in the shade when eating a-bacon butty. Oh the coffee is also bad for u, u know. Hahaha.
Have to take medicine for my heart prob
It says very clearly on the packet
DO Not expose the skin to sunlight.
That’s a laugh living here.

Understanding the real risks is hard. You have to go back to the original sources (not easy) to discover:
  • is this a potential risk or an identified risk? Much work is via injecting substances into the skin of mice, and positive results there might translate to humans, or they might not. Dosage levels are often far higher than humans would ever encounter. Other research actually finds a link in humans, but even there correlation is not causation.
  • how big is the risk? Humans aren't good at this, and much depends on how it is presented: 'increased the risk from 0.0001% to 0.0002%' is the same as 'doubled the risk', but they don't feel the same to humans!

I spent a lot of years in the boat trade & used a lot of epoxy, plus vinyl ester (also contains bisphenol) & a lot more polyester. I got a burn on my wrist from epoxy hardener years ago & it got inflamed anytime i went near the stuff for some years afterwards. I was one of the few guys round here who owned their own powered respirator & used it regularly.
I think a lot of things will come back to catch us out.
Carbon fibre is another case in point, usually used with epoxy & very trendy, When i was a D&T technician the teachers always fixated on the stuff when it was but a tiny part of the composites industry, they just didnt get it when i told them we wouldnt be using it in schools as too high risk.

Industry always tries to fool you. Look at the electric cat industry .
petoi-nybble-say-hi-raise-right-hand-facing-left.jpeg

Latest posts

Back