Canal boat people. Please help me out.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Turns out I might be unexpetedly be looking at a marine life just as I thought I was nearly finalising sorting my house and shed. 25 years later, who knew? šŸ˜•
Any waterborne souls out there that are willing to lend a hand to a brother in need. I'm looking at widebeam marina life for stability rather than continuous cruising at this stage for my two young kids, and trying to sort issues. I'm looking at Royden Marina but they are the Devils pineapple for securing a mooring unless you buy a boat from them. I could do with hands on experience. I'd love some advice if someone wants to offer some here, or by PM. About marina life or life aboard generally, it's all appreciated.
Best regards
Chris

Short answer - it is not for everyone and you will make lots of compromises along the way. It is not cheap, it is not comfortable and it is not spacious. If you think house repairs are expensive, then you are in for a major shock and don't get me started on the plumbing situation! Right, now that is off my chest, a bit more nuanced advice :)

Background - I work about 100 miles from home, but pretty much 200 meters from work is a marina. No brainer think I after yet another miserable commute, buy a boat and relax after work instead of commuting. So for 2 years I spent 2 or 3 nights a week on a boat. It was a 1970's fibre glass broads cruiser, 32ft long, 10ft wide, 4 berth. 2 toilets, one into a holding tank and one direct into the river (that I couldn't use in a marina so dead space). Small galley kitchen but fine for me, shower I couldn't stand up in and sofa's that were not remotely comfortable.

Pro's - convenience. This is nothing to do with living on a boat so much as removing larger hassles from my life for a while. The thing I enjoyed most, bizarrely, was lying in bed and the boat rocking gently on the water, and being snug in the boat when it was raining heavily outside. Just something about the noise of the rain on the roof that is impossible to get in a house.

Con's - expense. It costs to insure, to have a safety certificate, to moor, to empty the poop tank, to have shore power, to repair, to run, the list seemed to be endless. Admittedly it was an older boat but even so, it cost far more than I was expecting. Damp. Boats leak. If you cannot see a leak, it is leaking somewhere you cannot yet see - the bilge pump is there for a reason, make sure it works! Boats leak through seals, through windows, hatches, cracks, via osmosis and in seemingly inexplicable places no matter what you try. Temperature. A boat is like a car left outside - icy in the winter, horrendously hot in the Summer. I used to run an oil fired rad on low all night in the bedroom when I was on the boat, but when I was not there damp and cold is a major problem (closely followed by mould). Comfort. Everything on a boat is a compromise - where does your washing machine drain to in a marina? Got space for a tumble dryer? You wont have a free standing sofa from dfs, more likely a hard seat with a cushion on it. Want an electric cooker? Don't expect to just pick one up from AO.com, lots of rules and regs around appliances on a boat. Power. Shore power is fine when it works, but it is on a meter and needs topping up. Not sure what your rating is at the main switch but check you can run enough appliances simultaneously. Location. Where in the marina are you - near the shower block or tucked away on the edge. Fine to walk to on a Summers afternoon, try 2am in December when the pontoons are iced over and frozen. Space. Even a widebeam is going to be cramped for a family compared to a house. Think about living in a large caravan - a boat is more cramped than this. No garden, limited privacy. Drainage. If you have a mobile pump to empty your poop tanks then great, but if not, manouvering your boat if a widebeam is a major hassle. There are other con's but that is probably enough to be getting along with.

I don't know your situation, but a couple of things I would recommend - try a holiday on one and see how you get on. Imagine while you are doing it that this is a way of life, not a bit of fun for a week or two. Then think about the logistics - getting 'stuff' to and from the boat is a pain, from a weekly shop to directions for an amazon delivery. Try to talk to people that are in the marina - boaters are a friendly lot in the main and I have found many of them to be overly helpful on occasion. The ones you really want are the ones who live aboard, but they can be a bit evangelical about the lifestyle if not careful - a bit like caravan owners. It takes a certain mindset to put up with the hassles.

I wouldn't say don't do it, but it is not simply a 'house alternative' that saves you a fortune, so you are doing the right thing by asking advice first. I did likewise but still was not prepared for the sheer inconvenience of the lifestyle. I stuck it for 2 years and sold just as the pandemic started. If I had had a newer boat then it may have been more bearable in terms of comfort and damp, but space would always be an issue for me as well as the high expense of upkeep. I was keeping a house and a boat at the same time though, so if you only have a boat to worry about this may not be such a factor.

Best of luck if you do decide to go for it!

I think @StevieB sums it up well, I donā€™t have personal experience of living on one other than holidays but I worked on the fit out of a big canal barge. A customer had a shell fabricated he then had it fitted out with all the top of the range stuff imaginable, money didnā€™t seem to matter, the marina guy joked that the boat sat 2ā€ lower in the water than any other boat due to all the fancy gear we installed.
Long story short he sold it within 2 years must have lost a fortune.

Boats and holiday cottages are brilliant as long as they are somebody else's, so you can drop in on them for a boozy weekend or even have it to yourself for a week or so - help them out by house or boat sitting while they are away.
Don't get caught out being invited to help them with maintenance, it's no fun- you could spend a week scraping bilges and cleaning out lavatories.

Lots of great youtube channels on boating life, look for the ones that have videos on the good and the bad. I love the idea of travelling around in a narrowboat, same as travelling in a camper but I am under no illusions that it would be a major lifestyle change to do full time.

I don't know anything about boats. I'm guessing you have a lot of tools and you will need to pay to have them all stored away somewhere which will add to the basic costs.

We have had a narrowboat, for 10 years now, mostly as a leisure boat, but are now living aboard full time.
Find Canal World Discussion Forum.
https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/forum/6-general-boating/If you look at the "New to Boating" section many of your questions will be answered there.
Be aware that due to Planning regulations, Council Tax requirments, living on a boat in a Marina may not possible. But heavy use is permitted.
Another thing to be well aware of, is there is NO security of tenency, upset the wrong person, you and your boat will be told to leave, often that day!
A wide beam boat wider than 12 feet, will not be able to travel the Lee & Stort canal. Pick a boat 10 feet wide, and have the ability to go on holiday.

Bod

I lived on a narrowboat for twelve years and I loved it. However it is a very different lifestyle that doesnā€™t suit everyone. If you are living in it all year round you need a steel boat that is properly insulated. This should alleviate the cold and damp situation that Stevie had in his fiberglass boat. Buy a boat with all the basics right. You can change furniture and redesign rooms easily but fixing leaks, insulation, wiring or plumbing is a pain and you end up living in a cramped mess whilst youā€™re doing the work.
Pros - you will learn to live with less and only keep or buy what you truly need or cherish. This is a great discipline to teach your kids.
You live outside more and if you get the right mooring nature is right there, ducks floating past your window, towpath walks etc
Theres often a better sense of community amongst boaters.
You can move your home around.
Cons - itā€™s not as cheap as it used to be. Do you research first.
Boats depreciate and repairs can be costly, maintenance is on going.

Unless you are in love with the idea or you have no other option I would try to stay with bricks and mortar if you possibly can. If itā€™s is a positive choice, go for it and good luck, itā€™s a whole other world and has lots to offer.

I just want to say thanks a million to all who replied. For those who read between the lines its been a mad few weeks but I really appreciate your time and advice. I will try and find the time to reply in a more appreciative way tomorrow but for now thanks all. Really.
Been rushed off my feet and the the old brain is worn out. Not a lot of fuel left in the tank tbh.
Thanks again though.
Best regards to all as always.
Chris

Just to say I have been looking for a while on and off. I'n not quite your typical towpath tourist and have lived off grid a few times in the past although that was in my youth tbf. Just saying I am maybe not so naive as some when it come to the 'romance/mystery' of onboard life although obviously there is a whole new skill set to master. I reckon I could do with the challenge and on my side I can light a fire underwater in the dark so I shouldn't freeze to death. At least immediately.
Will be back to asl some more questions at some point.
Thanks as always chaps.
Chris

Unless you are in love with the idea or you have no other option I would try to stay with bricks and mortar if you possibly can. If itā€™s is a positive choice, go for it and good luck, itā€™s a whole other world and has lots to offer.
Thank you

Con's - expense. It costs to insure, to have a safety certificate, to moor, to empty the poop tank, to have shore power, to repair, to run, the list seemed to be endless. Admittedly it was an older boat but even so, it cost far more than I was expecting.
I think all boats are an ongoing expense, but worse if they are just pleasure craft because you are not there to keep on top of the maintenance. I did once look into buying a canal boat and was amazed at the level of fitout but then used my head and not my heart, realisticaly it was going to be hard going so forgot the idea.

I think all boats are an ongoing expense, but worse if they are just pleasure craft because you are not there to keep on top of the maintenance. I did once look into buying a canal boat and was amazed at the level of fitout but then used my head and not my heart, realisticaly it was going to be hard going so forgot the idea.
We hired one at Easter and was supprised how basic the fit out was ply and pine tbh.

Cheers James

We hired one at Easter and was supprised how basic the fit out was ply and pine tbh.

Cheers James
Iā€™m sure you realise but there is a massive difference between a hire boat - built to be simple and sturdy - and a top end bespoke boat. The joinery and technical sophistication of some of these is stunning.
They are a great challenge for the joiner (especially a rubbish one like me). Nothing is level, not much is square and all your work is on show.

The widebeam style has introduced a lot more people like Bm101 to waterway living - loads more space. Personally I donā€™t like them but I see the point of them. Still, you canā€™t go on the classic narrow canals and theyā€™re cumbersome to use.
To live on, make sure you get one with decent electrics - lots of solar, good charging, lithium batteries if you can afford them etc.

PS some good canal Groups on Facebook - one of the very best is the ā€˜12 volt boating groupā€™ - many knowledgeable and helpful people there (a bit like this one :)

Last edited:
S
Iā€™m sure you realise but there is a massive difference between a hire boat - built to be simple and sturdy - and a top end bespoke boat. The joinery and technical sophistication of some of these is stunning.
They are a great challenge for the joiner (especially a rubbish one like me). Nothing is level, not much is square and all your work is on show.

The widebeam style has introduced a lot more people like Bm101 to waterway living - loads more space. Personally I donā€™t like them but I see the point of them. Still, you canā€™t go on the classic narrow canals and theyā€™re cumbersome to use.
To live on, make sure you get one with decent electrics - lots of solar, good charging, lithium batteries if you can afford them etc.

PS some good canal Groups on Facebook - one of the very best is the ā€˜12 volt boating groupā€™ - many knowledgeable and helpful people there (a bit like this one :)

Sure I understand, I was just supprised to find it in a Ā£1k week hire boat. Rather like the style and fitout of a ferro boat I used to sail on. Or the fitout if the local community canal boat.

I quite like the Humber barge styled canal boats more style and sea worthy. Peter Nicholls comes to mind.

Cheers James

Back