Canadian Western Red Cedar alternative?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantx

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to make an ice bath lid similar to this
lid.jpg

I got the picture from Products — Diptanks. These are made with Canadian red cedar but that is quite expensive wood. Can anyone recommend a suitable alternative for a wood that will be outside all year round, covering a dip tank?

Many thanks.

I think candian red cedar is another name for western red cedar which often comes from Canada . Any wood that can last outdoors will not be that cheap, try decking suppliers for reasonably priced western red cedar which will be in a size that should be ok for your project, it's also quite light which may be an advantage. Use stainless or brass fixings, steel will stain and to keep the colour and slow lichen growth paint or spray with a silicone waterproofer like a masonry one.

Ditch the cold bath and buy a hot tub, much nicer 😉. Then you wont have to buy any cedar! 😆

I got some cedar from Wales, it was fine but not the same fine grain as the Canadian stuff. It doesn`t have a cold enough winter here.

For that small project you could probably get just one small pack of grade 1 Canadian, I got some cheap as it was shorts, really nice wood, got it from Silva timber.

Ollie

I've looked at the British stuff as an alternative and it's not as nice, more knots basically.
Siberian larch is one down from WRC in cost and looks nice but you don't get the characteristic pinky orange hues
UV stabiliser finish needed to stop the WRC losing its colour.
Martin

Thanks for the offer. I think I will go with iroko as I can get that locally.
That will be one heavy lid. Cedar is 330 kg/m3 and iroko 660 kg/m3. Twice the weight exactly. A side note, western cedar is the only Canadian softwood that the sawdust is carcinogenic . No wonder it’s good outside, no bug will touch it. As a carpenter we always mask up with that stuff. I can get it for free sometimes but shipping would be a problem.

Iroko can sometimes leach colour (tanins I assume) out. so just be careful if it's on something that will stain.
Can I ask how you fill an ice bath, i.e. is it just cold water or do you have to get ice specifically for it. I ask as I run and would like to give them a go.

Iroko can sometimes leach colour (tanins I assume) out. so just be careful if it's on something that will stain.
Can I ask how you fill an ice bath, i.e. is it just cold water or do you have to get ice specifically for it. I ask as I run and would like to give them a go.

It's going to be used as a dip tank/swimming pool. No ice.

The iroko I can get very cheap from a local cabinet maker who sells me his offcuts. I have to still speak to him to see how much he will charge for the lengths I require.

Back