Canadian Stanley Sweetheart Level?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
One for Alf I think!
Just bought this old level at my local car boot.
It says that it is a No3 adjustable level by Stanley Canada with the Sweetheart SW in a heart logo. I did not know there were such things as Canadian Sweethearts.
level is in OK shape but has been badly varnished.
Any thoughts anyone?
Cheers
Martin
level04.jpg

level03.jpg

level02.jpg

Martin,
Will need pix from side too to help identify it. I can't make out the sweetheart logo in your pix either! (probably my eyes of course :cry: )

I defer to the more Stanley level clued-up Canadian and 'Murrican brethren, but it looks like the trademark might be the 1922 one as shown here? Hard to see, so it might be the later one. Try putting in "#3" level into The Porch Archive and you should get some further info (use the exact wording given in green, including the inverted commas).

Chris, I think Martin ment to include this pic too :) :
level01.jpg

Cheers, Alf

Thanks guys!
It is definitely the c.1922 SW logo with the line under Stanley going through the heart.
What is the best way to get rid of the gungy varnish or should I leave it?
This thing is not really of that much use to me, I just saw it and the price wasn't going to kill me (50p!) so I grabbed it.
Might as well clean it up and use it for rough outside work if it is not a rarity.
Also got a cabinet screwdriver with " Felix O' Funsberg" or similar as maker, weird name huh?
Regards
Martin

Hmm - my copy of Walter's isn't much use here. A carpenter's level yes but unless it has Potters patent improvement whatever that may (when it could be worth $1000) - it s probably worth about 50p!

Alf, is your piccy a guess or one of yours? :)

waterhead37":2omxferx said:
Alf, is your piccy a guess or one of yours? :)
Well I noticed there was a duplicate of level02.jpg, but no level01.jpg in Martin's post, so I made a deduction. :wink: I only have a Stanley 10" No.102, which I know absolutely nothing about. Physician, heal thyself. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Martin,
I'm not at all a collector, but I know a little about the factory that made the level. It was located in Roxton Pond, about an hour outside of Montreal. Roxton Pond was the Canadian plane-making capital for about two centuries; there were many small to medium-sized factories that made wooden planes. Stanley set up a factory there--I forget when but around the turn of the century (19th-20th) because tools made in the USA got hit heavily with trade tariffs. Having a factory in Canada opened up the Commonwealth market, and apparently there are quite a few Canadian-made Stanley planes in Australia. The planes have slightly heavier castings than their US counterparts, and they are rarer than US-made ones, but since the collectors don't care much for them they are worth less. As I said, I don't know ablout the levels though. Stanley closed the factory in 1960. In fact they were in the news last year trying to make a settlement about drinking water, apparently the ground water is toast.
Frank

Latest posts

Back